It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Different POI
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:21 am 
Field Grade

Hoping for some help in understanding the difference. To explain I have a Summit that I bought to shoot skeet with. I was having serious problems hitting anything so off to the pattern board. I discovered that with me shooting the pattern was 20% high and 80% low.So off the gun goes back to CG. I received a call from the smith who shot the gun and he says that the gun shot 80% high and 20% low for him. How can there be such a difference.
Thanks Murray

Post subject: Re: Different POI
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sounds like a huge difference to me. I would ask the other guy (gunsmith ???) exactly how he did the patterning work. What type of sight picture did he use? Bench rest? Distance? Choke? Load? Etc. Than compare with how YOU did it.

Until you know all this, you won't know the answer.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:30 pm 
Field Grade

birdog wrote:
Hoping for some help in understanding the difference. To explain I have a Summit that I bought to shoot skeet with. I was having serious problems hitting anything so off to the pattern board. I discovered that with me shooting the pattern was 20% high and 80% low.So off the gun goes back to CG. I received a call from the smith who shot the gun and he says that the gun shot 80% high and 20% low for him. How can there be such a difference.
Thanks Murray

To test point of impact you need to shoot off a bench rest to get a fairly accurate result.
When you pattern the gun normaly by mounting then shooting at the pattern plate at various distances, normally 16ft, then +/- 34 to 40 ft you are checking where you shoot the gun, Most people would have a different percentage spread depending on how the specific gun fits them. But shouldn't be so different.
What do you see when you mount the gun? ( do you see the bead without seeing the rib, do you see quiet a bit of rib with the bead or do you look straight into the action.)
If you shot at the pattern plate and your pattern is low it sounds like your comb might be too low but it is hard to say until we see you mount and shoot your gun.

The best way to check gunfit is to get hold of a qualified gunstock fitter or someone at your club to see what type of fit you have.Good luck and hope you come right.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Murray.....One potential difference is how high or low the users ckeekbone is. One shooter may have the gun flat, looking straight down the rib and another my be looking up the rib like a ramp. A CG gun in an adjustable rib should not be under 50% even looking down the rib flat on the highest rib setting. I would question how stable the low shooters mount and shooting form during the shot was. The factory rep would know how to properly pattern for POI or sight picture. Not calling your approach wrong, but maybe less experienced. With a fixed rib model the same criterian will apply and POI movement would be made with the stocks comb adjustment.

To help solve this issue, set the guns comb to offer you a stacked bead picture and shoot from a bench or fixed mount to evaluate POI. Have another shooter set the stock for the same sight pic and shoot from the same location. Should be closer POI's shot by both users. Shoot POI patterns like sighting a rifle in. On a bench at short yardage (13 yards) with a full choke to allow the pattern to be small and easy to measure from the center of the aim point to the center of the tight pattern. Shoot several pattern in a row to make sure your procedure is accurate.

Know the guns POI before you move on to setting it to hit moving targets. Will also give you confidence in the gun and a place to start setting pattern placement for targeting. Once you have the gun centering targets, go back to the pattern board and check the POI again. Record the POI for the future. This is a perfect starting point for setting up other guns. If the gun your hitting well with is sighted in to hit 2 inches high at 13 yards, you can take any gun and set the POI to the same place and be able to hit the first target out of the house. You may have to change it some for different handling charature and or balance, but your closer than you would be without this info.

Maltzie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

Why would you send it back to them when the problem is clearly a fit issue? You need a higher comb or less drop at the heel. Why not go to a stock fitter and find out?

Real shotguns have 2 barrels.