It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AyA model 53 vs 56
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good SxS shotgun that will be primarily used for shooting skeet, with some trap and hunting mixed in. I already on a couple O/Us and want to add a side by side. Ive been checking out the AyA line and wanted to know which SxS models are best for this type of shooting, which will probably consist of 75-150 shells/week depending on how many rounds of skeet. Between the model 53 and 56, is the extra build and durability of the 56 needed for regular clays shooting? I don't want to shoot out a light game gun. I would probably prefer to get a 53 because it's significantly less expensive, but I need to know about the durability of a SxS not designed for regular clay shooting.

Also, would ST, SST, or DT be preferable? I've only shot ST in my life (usually on O/Us), but I'm willing to get DTs if that is something that won't impede shooting skeet doubles, etc.

thanks for your help.
Mike

Post subject: Re: AyA model 53 vs 56
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:16 am 
Presentation Grade

I believe Model 56 uses a better quality steel for the barrels. Both have the same lockup and appear to weigh the same. You may want to talk to John Boyd or NECG to get their input.

I would proceed cautiously with a single trigger. Spanish SSTs are not well regarded, are a pricey upgrade and tend to devalue the gun on resale. There is an outfit in upstate NY who is installing Miller SSTs on sxs, I believe they can install them on Spanish guns. You might want to talk to them. http://www.classicgunstocks.com/Miller_Single_Trigger.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:50 am 
Tournament Grade

IMO go for the 56. I have never owned a 56 but have owned 53's and #2's. The extra weight and strength of the 56 will be of benefit over the long haul, so to speak.

You are talking about a good deal of usage IMO. If you stick to 7/8 - 1 oz loads for skeet and 1 oz for trap that would help. The 56 as you know is built for competition shooting, mainly live pigeon. That gun shoots the heavy loads, as money is on the line with each shot.

I prefer a heavy gun for skeet and trap, 8# plus for me. My 53 weighs 6# 11 oz and the #2's a couple oz less. Therefore I mainly us O/U or singles for comp. If you are not recoil sensitive and do not mind the pounding you take over 100 rds of SC (that is all we shoot in FL) then maybe the gun weight is not as big a deal to you.

I do shoot DT guns at skeet, and have not found them to be a problem at all, I prefer DT unless it is a dedicated comp. SxS. I have fewer problems with DT over ST guns. Since you mentioned hunting with the gun an IC/M would seem to be a good choice. What type of game are we talking about, as I think it matters as to your choke selection? I use the tighter choke on the going away bird on doubles and the more open for singles and the crossers. Mod/IM work well at trap.

WLM has a gun I think you should look at. It is a UA/Grulla 215E with sideclips, hidden 3rd fastener, SBT, DT gun with IC/IM chokes. It already has a pad so you do not have to "worry" about hurting the value by installing a pad. The SBT will be appreciated as the heat builds in the barrels, and it will. It is a little short for trap (barrel wise) at 27" but it is built as a brute of a gun and the price is not too bad. The stocking is prob. OK for trap, a little straight for me at skeet. Please buy it and save me some money! :shock: It is not a 56, but it is not priced that way either.

Best of luck in your search. Just do what the rest of us nutters do, buy a gun for each "reason".

CL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:16 am 
Tournament Grade

+1 on what "doverham" said about Spanish ST's. I do not have as much problem with the ST as the SST but all get devalued on resale at this point in time.

According to the AyA factory website the 56 weighs 3/4 # more than a 53 in 12 ga. The weight comes from somewhere. The frame is wider and more robust on the 56 to keep it from "flexing" and I would think to give a little more material for the stock to butt against as well. If you have not already done so, go to AyA@AyAfineguns (just google that) and they go into detail about the 53 ver the 56 and their intended usage.

The "Miller" trigger is only being installed on Parkers, Foxes and NID's at this time. I have not checked in the last few months but the website still says that. The price is around $1,500 - 1,600 plus all your shipping and insurance cost. I recommend you learn to use the DT, you will not find it difficult at all.

CL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

I own a 56 in 20 gauge choked ic/ic - good for skeet, good for sc, not trap obviously (although i've done it). terrific gun, no recoil issues with a long day of shooting. the engraving on the 56 is substantially nicer than the 53. Never shot a 53 so I can't comment on feel.

Browning Maxus Duck Camo
Franchi Affnity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mea culpa for I am about to sin and commit an act of heresy (on this forum at least). You may also want to look at a British waterfowling (they say wildfowl) gun. I bought one recently, proofed for 1.5oz loads, weighed 7.5lbs, third fastener and stout as hell. With a little looking, you can find a boxlock version for under $5k. They tend be be a little utilitarian in appearance and you may have a hard time finding a SST, but they are a lower cost alternative that will last forever. Not as much bling as a nicely engraved sidelock though - if that is a consideration. Merkel will also customize a clay target sxs for you. Talk to Todd at NECG.

(I tried to communicate this by pm so as not to offend the faithful, but could not get the pm to work for some reason)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

A 56 must be priced in the clouds. What do they cost? A good 30" barrel 12 gauge #2 should be sufficient for any use we could put it to. I guess I should add that I shoot a #2 and that would be my choice. The price of a #2 today is twice what it was a few years ago and should be enough for anyone to pay for a side by side for serious shooting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:19 am 
Field Grade

Have owned 2 Model 56s and they are a very nice gun. One was an early 3 barrel set (28 inch barrels) and the other was custom ordered by a duck hunter (32 inch barrels). Definitely feel the 56 is much more gun than the Model 53. But list price is pretty steep these days for a new one at over $13K. The 3 barrel set had a non selective single trigger and was never a problem. I would stay away from a Spanish selective single trigger.

The 32 inch gun had been shot quite a bit and I used it for SxS clay shooting for a few years. Finally got so it was in the repair shop more than I was shooting it, so went with a CSMC Model 21 with double triggers. Have had some down time with the Model 21 also but CSMC has stood behind it.

Good luck with your quest.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just became aware of a 53 locally (MI). Great shape. 20 ga. 26" bbls. $3800. PM me if you want contact info.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt.