CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who made my shotgun?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:38 pm 
Field Grade

I bought this thing for $20 from the back room at my local gun shop. It was test-fired and it's in decent mechanical condition. The finish is pretty much gone and the wood could use a little work. I've discovered looking through information online that it is a '66 manufacture shotgun, but the manufacturer marks are a mystery. It could be UO, UC, or UG. I haven't found any manufacturers corresponding to those combinations. It's an almost direct copy of a Savage 94. I found the date code, it's made in '66 and it seems to have the appropriate pressure proofs. It's not the most attractive shotgun out there, but it feels solid and I'll eventually get a chance to shoot it.

Post subject: Re: Who made my shotgun?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:12 am 
Crown Grade

12/76 chamber and proofed at 850kg/cm2 ? What is stamped to the left of the bore and choke dimensions on the underside of the barrel?

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:25 am 
Crown Grade

That appears to be "1120 Gmos" = 1120 grams.

It's hard to tell what exactly the maker's mark is because the proof pressure is stamped over the last letter. However, I would go with UC which is Astra y Cia, a well-known gun maker in Spain.

Sounds like you knew what you were getting and $20 is more than a fair price as it functions. You don't have a rare item, just an interesting gun that we don't often see. It would be a good restoration project for the first-timer. It could be used as a nice turkey gun or trap gun. Heck, you could take it pheasant hunting. The choke marks indicate it has a modified barrel so it is quite versatile. Just don't put any steel through it; lead only or soft non-toxic.

MD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:26 am 
Field Grade

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:32 pm 
Crown Grade

I would agree with mountaindave that Astra-Unceta Y Cia of Guernica is the maker.

I'm surprised that being chambered for 12/76 (12 ga. 3"), its only proofed for 850 kgs/cm2 which used to be the standard proof for 12/70 (12 gauge 2-3/4") chambered guns (its my understanding that the current Eibar proof for 12/70 chambers is 900 kg/cm2). I would have expected a minimum proof of 1000 kg/cm2 for 12/76 chambered gun.

Firing 3" field loads in a light single barrel should produce a nasty recoil. Recoil issues aside, I would not feel comfortable using 3" field loads in that gun. I would stick with light 2-3/4 dram equivalent, standard 12/70 cartridges. JMO.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 pm 
Crown Grade

+1 Good advice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:09 pm 
Field Grade

doppelflinten wrote:
I would agree with mountaindave that Astra-Unceta Y Cia of Guernica is the maker.

I'm surprised that being chambered for 12/76 (12 ga. 3"), its only proofed for 850 kgs/cm2 which used to be the standard proof for 12/70 (12 gauge 2-3/4") chambered guns (its my understanding that the current Eibar proof for 12/70 chambers is 900 kg/cm2). I would have expected a minimum proof of 1000 kg/cm2 for 12/76 chambered gun.

Firing 3" field loads in a light single barrel should produce a nasty recoil. Recoil issues aside, I would not feel comfortable using 3" field loads in that gun. I would stick with light 2-3/4 dram equivalent, standard 12/70 cartridges. JMO.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

I'll heed your advice, wouldn't want to bust anything (including myself) throwing overly powerful loads through there. It weighs very little so light loads will be all I'll want to shoot out of it.