It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Misrepresented guns.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Been on the hunt for a light twelve upland gun.

First I bought an AyA advertised by Cabela’s as a No. 1. Turned out to be a discontinued Model 117. Fortunately I was able to return it.

Then I was about to buy this No. 2, until I noticed that the serial numbers on the action flat and the barrel flats don’t match. I contacted Carmen at AyA and it turns out that the barrels are from some discontinued non-ejector boxlock:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/aya-mode ... D0&Ntt=AyA

This is discouraging, and I’m becoming very cynical.

Post subject: Re: Misrepresented guns.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’m inclined to doubt the AyA No. 2 in the link you provided to the gun at Cabelas is a No. 2. It looks to me to be a model 51.

And therein lays a caveat and a cautionary tale.

Caveat: caveat emptor on all used guns; sellers may not know what they have.

Cautionary tale:

When it comes to artisanal Spanish shotguns, what “model” a gun may be is of limited value in determining the purpose for which the gun was made. Every Spanish artisanal shotgun maker is capable of making any model of gun as a purpose built light game gun, or a medium game gun, or a heavy competition gun.

AyA typically builds the models No. 1 and No. 2 as light game guns. But it hasn’t always done so and may not do so now, depending on what a customer wants. So if you are buying a used AyA No. 1 or 2, don’t just assume the gun is a light game gun because there is a chance it isn’t.

Good luck on your search, and I hope you find exactly what you are looking for at a good price.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oblio13,
Please check your PM's
Thanks,
Saltydog055

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Their ignorance/misrepresentation presents opportunities, as well...i just bot an aya #4 20 gauge from them...90+% condition....5.5 lbs....$799 in a homemade wooden case...really nice gun, really nice case...they had no idea.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:54 pm 
Field Grade

Oblio13 wrote:
Been on the hunt for a light twelve upland gun.

First I bought an AyA advertised by Cabela’s as a No. 1. Turned out to be a discontinued Model 117. Fortunately I was able to return it.

Then I was about to buy this No. 2, until I noticed that the serial numbers on the action flat and the barrel flats don’t match. I contacted Carmen at AyA and it turns out that the barrels are from some discontinued non-ejector boxlock:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/aya-mode ... D0&Ntt=AyA

This is discouraging, and I’m becoming very cynical.

Well, the barrels on the supposed AYA #2 at Cabelas you have linked do have ejectors.

Spend some time looking at examples of the guns you are interested in. There may be some variations in engraving and other options, but you should be able to tell the difference in a gun like an AYA 117 and an AYA Model #1 before too long.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 am 
Crown Grade

Kyrie wrote:
....................Cautionary tale: When it comes to artisanal Spanish shotguns, what “model” a gun may be is of limited value in determining the purpose for which the gun was made. Every Spanish artisanal shotgun maker is capable of making any model of gun as a purpose built light game gun, or a medium game gun, or a heavy competition gun.

Very true! My 1976 vintage Victor Sarasqueta Model 7E Trap Gun was not catalogued. The factory quoted a gun built to my specifications ( 30" vent rib barrels choked IM/F, single trigger, beavertail forearm, straight grip stock to my dimensions and 8-1/4 lbs. weight). I've not seen another 7E like it. FWIW, the single trigger ocassionally malfunctioned when new. The 'smith at Griffin & Howe corrected it and its been reliable since.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:49 pm 
Limited Edition

The people who work at the "gun library" at most Cabelas have very little knowledge of guns. Certainly the guys behind the counter know nothing about SxS. When I have asked questions about guns and the "gun expert" form the gun library comes out to chat, it is usually a very disappointing conversation. I have been to several Cabelas.
In fact, the guy at the Cabelas yesterday told me that the SxS had 2 sets of barrels and one was 12 gauge and one was 28 gauge. I thought that was odd and he showed me the label that said 12/28. I asked him if perhaps the 12 ga barrels might be 28 inches long. He scratched his head.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:32 pm 
Field Grade

Some of the gun library “experts “
that I have met, are indeed very knowledgeable, some are not.
A gun library near me had a Beautiful
$30,000 Westley Richards that turned out to be a fake, after they sold it, it was returned. I had a chance to handle it and it clearly had Spanish Proof Marks. One would think they would spend a little more time researching such a valued piece.
I must say I do know some very versed gentlemen at Cabelas though. Frankly, in todays Information age and sights such as this dedicated to certain types of firearms, there is no reason not to be able to narrow down what an item truly is. Especially if that is your “expertise”