It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading AA HS in 9000GN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been loading STS in my 9000 forever without an issue and perfect crips. However, recently I decided to start reloading AA HS hulls as these are available in large quantities at my club compared to the STS's which I never find.

Problem is, no matter how I adjust the reloader, I can't get the AA's to create a nice crimp as it always leaves a hole in the top. I have adjusted the cam, precrimp and punch with no luck.

I know the AA's are a bit shorter than the STS, so is this as good as it gets or does anyone have any suggestions?

Richmond, VA / Conservation Park

ZOLI Z Sport
Verona LX-980 (ZOLI Kronos)
Browning Citori Lightning

Post subject: Re: Reloading AA HS in 9000GN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:13 pm 
Limited Edition

You can always drip a little candle wax to seal up the hole. If you have adjusted everything the wax will keep the shot from spilling out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I can't see what you're complaining about there's nothing going to fall out of that hole. I've bought factory double A's that have the same hole ,as long as shots not falling out what's the big deal they look great to me. I find when I load Remington's I get more deviation with a load that looks like yours, and then you'll have one with the swirl, so there's a little variation in all the hulls it's just personal preference. Don't sweat the little hole no big deal .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I had the STS's so fine tuned that I always had a nice crimp that was closed and couldn't figure why I couldn't get the AA's to do the same.

I won't stress it then.

ZOLI Z Sport

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Here's the scoop on how to close that hole.

Primarily, it's done with the pre-crimp or crimp starter as some call it. The heavier the pre-crimp, the more material that is added into the crimp. Lower the pre-crimp die till it closes the case mouth to about the size of a primer, or lead pencil eraser, to get the required amount of material into the final crimp.

Start by raising the Cam up to about 1/2 way, or a tad higher. Then, after lowering the pre-crimp as suggested above, lower the final crimp punch till you get the required depth of the crimp. About the thickness of a dime is the suggested depth of the crimp. Don't set the punch too deep, as that will add to the problem. Then there will probably still be small hole in the center of the crimp. Start lowering the Cam, a small bit at a time, till the hole closes up, and any flare at the mouth of the case is removed. The cam pushes the crimp inward from all sides, closing the hole in the center as a result.

Follow that by setting the finishing die, (station 6), to place a very tiny rounding on the end of the case mouth. This also pushes inward on the crimp as it applies the rounding of the case mouth. Be careful with this adjustment, as when set too low, it will wrinkle or crush the sides of the hull down by the brass. You only want a very subtle amount of rounding at the case mouth. Heavy rounding will almost always crush the cases.

This procedure will fix the hole in the crimp problem on AA HS cases, 95% of the time.

DLM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:31 am 
Crown Grade

You are correct, the AAHS is shorter. They will crimp very nicely, just as good as an STS IF:
You have a recipe that fits well.
You get the press adjusted properly.

For fit you need to look at a slightly shorter wad. For Downrange this is the DRA series. For CB it is just a matter of using CB1114 for 1 1/8 ounce, 1118 for 1 ounce, etc. Or, use a dense powder like Titewad, Titegroup, or WSH.

For adjustments it is as DLM says. When I swap from Remington to AAHS I generally go down about 1 turn on the crimp starter, crimp closer center punch, and final taper die. I set the cam at midrange. This will typically turn out useable shells and a bit of fine tuning (based on how the shells look) optimizes things.

Added:
If my press was turning out shells that looked like the one in your photo, I'd drop the crimp starter about half a turn and load a couple more. Then I'd drop the taper crimp die half a turn but be mindful of DLM's warning about crushing hulls.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tell us what load you are using. Powder, shot/powder charge, wad....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:10 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the feedback, but thought I had done what you all suggested with the results above. I will revisit, but find I can't adjust the precrimp down any further as the top won't close on the shot, so Im left with a bulge at the top as the crimp. However, this could be due to the wads Im using as earlier suggested due to needing a shorter wad.

W209P, WAA12SL 1oz wads, 17.2gr of Clay Dot.

ZOLI Z Sport

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:24 am 
Field Grade

Icemon wrote:
I can't see what you're complaining about there's nothing going to fall out of that hole. I've bought factory double A's that have the same hole ,as long as shots not falling out what's the big deal they look great to me. I find when I load Remington's I get more deviation with a load that looks like yours, and then you'll have one with the swirl, so there's a little variation in all the hulls it's just personal preference. Don't sweat the little hole no big deal .

+1 TRY Dra 12 copper wad made for AA HS hull.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:19 am 
Crown Grade

The AASL is a standard length wad and Clay Dot is a standard density powder. The combo you list would be great in a Remington hull or an old AA CF. But, it is a tad oversize for AAHS. Use 17-17.5 grains of Titewad and it will fit nicely. Look at the bushing charts and select any powder that will give you the necessary drop with bushing 29 or under and things will fit.

Or, you can stick with Clay Dot and use a shorter wad. Use the so called "1 1/8 ounce" standard AA12 or CB1118 or Blue Duster and it will fit. For DRA wads, DO NOT use the copper colored wad. It is designed for 1 1/8 ounce in an AAHS. For DRA you want the pink colored one. It is designed for 1 ounce in an AAHS.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So far as I can tell, Clay Dot is the bulkiest of powders available to reloaders and definitely is a candidate for use of a shorter wad when loading it into the AAHS. With 1 oz. of shot, use either the DRA12 pink wad or a standard wad designed to hold 1/8 oz more shot than you are dropping, such as a Blue Duster.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:43 pm 
Field Grade

I also load the STS and the AAHS hulls. I load 1 1/8 with green dot powder. I have to use the shorter Downrange bronze wads for the AAHS hulls.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sportinclays10 wrote:
I also load the STS and the AAHS hulls. I load 1 1/8 with green dot powder. I have to use the shorter Downrange bronze wads for the AAHS hulls.
Either the bronze DRA12 or a 5/4 oz. standard wad, such as the Claybuster CB1114.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:16 pm 
Crown Grade

that crimp on the AA posted in the OP would get no special attention from me! That crimp is fine!!

I guess some guys reload to enter their finished products in some kind of contest! I just load so I can shoot them!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

This would explain the 1 per 50 load that I get bulging out the top.

I wanna stick with wads I can get at my club, which really helps to keep my cost per box down. So, that leaves me sticking with the standard AA12 or AA12SL.

If I am following the recommendations, I can stick with Clay Dot, but go with the AA12 aka CB1118-12, 1-1/8oz wad, but only drop 1oz and I am good? I am assuming this will leave me with extra tag at the end of the wad that will simply fold over?

ZOLI Z Sport

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^Bingo.