ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Loading copper plated shot for squirrels would it worth
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:48 pm 
Field Grade

I talked to a guy on another forum. He said he used to load nickel. He said he got away from it because pellets was shooting thru game. Said he shoot a pheasant acted like it wasn't hit it would keep flying then drop. He said shot was to hard. He said on game the copper plated shot would work better. Looks like u would want shot too pass thru.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:56 am 
Crown Grade

I want my pellets to penetrate through. Entry wounds don't bleed hardly at all compared to exit
wounds.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:27 am 
Crown Grade

Most so-called "plated shot" today is NOT electroplated like the older "luballoy" shot was. It is just "copper washed", to give it a copper color coat (or nickel, etc. . .... Make sure it is electroplated, or you won't see the better performance you expect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:12 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks Bob, I didn't know that! Pheasant maybe, but newer saw the need for plated shot for nut crackers. Unless you go to S. America, you can't use it on ducks anymore, legally anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:36 am 
Crown Grade

Instead use a 22 rifle for squirrels. Actually a decent pellet gun is often more than adequate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:34 am 
Crown Grade

When I was a kid, a friend of mine killed a lot of squirrels with a pellet rifle hunting where he couldn't shoot a regular gun. My preferred squirrel gun is a LH bolt action CZ .22, when conditions are right. Trouble is you won't kill many squirrels running through leafy trees with a .22, also, it is not exactly ideal if you run across winged game while squirrel hunting! Yea, I have killed a lot of game that was running with a rifle but squirrels have a knack of bouncing around in the trees, which means the squirrel usually wins!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:08 am 
Field Grade

I had guy on another forum about nickel platted shot. He said he used to load it for pheasants and duck yrs ago. He said u could shoot one it might fly 100 yds before it dropped. He said it shot thru them . They mite fly a distance before they died and fell. He said copper plated worked better. That was experience. He said for squirrels the copper plated would work better. I have used the 1/2 loads. I like the 11/16 loads better. Need the extra shot. My glasses fog up . Going up and down the big ridge's is hard on me in the ozarks. In the nickel platted 5 1/2 vs 6 shot. If I go with 6's I get 61 shot more 6"s vs 5's. My goal is to make a load that will out preform 5 or 6 lead shot. Since I dont shoot a bunch. The extra cost of shot would be worth it. Why I use a 410 easy to carry shells don weigh much. Plus the boom dont scare the other squirrels I have noticed. Using my 20 ga it takes them a while to start moving again. When I use my 410 after a kill. The squirrels acted like nothing as happened.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't like picking shot out of a squirrel. I use a .22 rifle or pistol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:59 am 
Field Grade

I dont like using a 22 in the national forest. May be someone on the other ridge. That's why I like using my 410.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For squirrels I see no point for plated shot.

I don't know of any plated lead shot that is actually worth using. Luballoy was the best but now gone. Lawrence copper plated was good at one time too, but not as good as it used to be. Maybe the stuff from Precision Reloading is good but I have never tried it.

Folks talk about feather and fur draw? Uh.........yeah sure. Not much feather or fur draw in the head/neck/spinal column region especially on a bird. It really doesn't matter if shot goes through a bird or not because you don't get instant kills on birds with body shots. On a squirrel, unless it is a lung shot, pretty much the same thing.

IMHO shot placement is always king when it comes to a shotgun and trumps any kind of 'special' shot/load/choke.

In my experience if a bird keeps flying after I hit it, the reason is I missed putting the shot where it needed to go. No amount of me massaging reloads has ever changed that.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:27 am 
Crown Grade

I essentially agree with everything Dogchaser says. My squirrel load for about 60 years has been 7/8 oz. chilled #6 shot. It started w/ about 13 gr. or red dot & fiber wads & has now graduated to one piece plastic wads with several different powders but the 7/8 oz. # 6's remains unchanged. Except for the shot size, most of my bird loads are the same. Yes, I know there are situations that require more horsepower. Tall trees & bigger critters for starters. Don't interpret anything I say to mean you shouldn't use heavier loads if conditions warrant. Ducks, especially now with the non toxic mandate, are different. I killed a lot of ducks with 7/8 oz. lead loads in the old days but also used loads in the 10 ga. up to 2.50 oz. when it was long shots or no shots! I have seen ducks shot with 12 g./cm^3 tungsten alloy shot flap in one place without moving until they expired but it never lasted very long!
Back to the .410. Yes, you can maximize the efficiency of the .410 but I don't think you are going to gain a lot. There is only so much you can do with 3/4 oz. of shot or less. TSS will do it if you want to spend that much money to kill a squirrel but other than that, I would keep shots within your guns range. BTW, typically, #6 usually winds up just under the hide on the off side if it fails to penetrate all the way through. #5 1/2 or #5 shot may go all the way through more often but you will lose pattern density.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:40 pm 
Crown Grade

204_ruger wrote:
I dont like using a 22 in the national forest. May be someone on the other ridge. That's why I like using my 410.

It doesn't matter what you are shooting. If you look beyond your target and can't determine a backstop for the payload, it's not worth taking the shot. When hunting squirrels in a forest of trees it's never been a problem finding a tree branch behind the target that was in the path of the bullet.

In the rare instances when you see only sky behind the target, just wait a minute and the squirrel will move to give you a shot. Same thing with running squirrels. Unless you are running through the forest chasing them, just sit still and the squirrel will stop running.

If you can't shoot the occasional squirrel because you never see anything but open sky beyond you probably will not starve to death as a result. The challenges of safely hunting tiny squirrels and rabbits with a 22 rifle is what makes hunting them worthwhile. If just blasting them with a shotgun, why bother?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Mr. Deg, You must be hunting a different brand of squirrels than me! I have killed squirrels with arrows, a sling shot, .22 rifles & shotguns. There is nothing like hunting squirrels with a .22 when the leaves have fallen & you can get some decent shooting. Before the leaves fall (we have a lot of ever green live oaks here) that condition doesn't present itself a lot. Note that squirrels don't run in a straight line much but bounce around from branch to branch & when the leaves are there, you can't follow them in most cases. I have killed my share of running squirrels with a .22 but the squirrel usually has the advantage!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

Grey squirrels isnt like fox squirrels. Fox squirrels don't get in a hurry. On the other hand grey squirrels are like lightning . I can kill them when the leaves get off with my 22 mag. But I like using a 410 to squirrel with.