It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keep it Friendly!! This means the Reloading Forum!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm seeing way too many flames, personal attacks and product bashing/stalking on the forums. Here are some tips I sent to a user by the name of
"Mr. IhateeveryoneI'malwaysrightyousuckandmybuddieswillrunyouofftheforum".

1. You are not ALWAYS right.
2. There is never a GOOD reason to insult someone.
3. Do you treat people like this in face-to-face social events?
4. You weren't born with the knowledge, so at some point you must have known absolutely nothing about shotguns, too.
5. People helped you out....return the favor.
6. This is a privately owned venue and we aren't bashful when it comes to asking the unruly to leave....no matter who you are.
7. Every manufacturer of every brand has a Customer Service department and a Return Merchandise process....do you know why? Because no brand is perfect.
8. If we could buy the $3,000 shotgun we probably would, but when you can only afford $700 then that's what you buy. I apply the same reasoning to buying the Subaru rather than the Rolls-Royce I saw in a magazine.
9. Unless your gun tests included pictures of your children don't be offended when people disagree with the results you post.
10. Respond with courtesy and respect. Picture yourself talking to the other person face-to-face if you have to.
11. "Friendliest gun forum on the net" is something we make every effort to protect.

Last edited by SShooterZ on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ensure everyone is aware of the guidelines.

Post subject: re: Keep it Friendly!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:10 pm 
Limited Edition

I have to heartily agree with all 11 but I take heart in #5 because I have learned more from others than I have had time to learn "the hard way" personally....... good and bad......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm a new member. I tried trapshooters.com only briefly. The foul language and political/personal attacks were unbearable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

welcome to swc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:10 am 
Diamond Grade

This only reinforces my belief that MODERATED forums are the best forums. Anyone who was on the sporting clays BBS knows what happened when a few bozo's moved onto that site.

Post subject: Re: Keep it Friendly!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

/

I think that SW is getting friendlier by the day. I know I need to work at keeping a friendly attitude at times.

SW must be doing something right.

/

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:35 am 
Utility Grade

A breath of fresh air - moderated forums allow us to get down to the very point we're all on here - because we all love shooting..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hope what is written is true. I was on another forum, and one guy just destroyed the threads. I was probably the most vocal about the problem, and to be honest probably made the situation worse. The administrator never did a thing. I finally just left.

Folks with different opinions are not a problem, overbearing egos are.

Glad to be here.

Mark

K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple, stupid - The first rule of shotshell reloading.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just joined this forum because I love shooting shotguns and want to learn all I can.

I am a former member of Accurate reloading. I got sick and tired of the over inflated egos, inappropriate language and personal "pot shots" some members would take at new and existing members.

The friendliest forum I monitor and participate on is Nosler's. A very helpful and down to earth group of folks.

This is what I hope to find here. There is no excuse for sarcasm and being rude.

We all started somewhere, usually as new to the sport. I enjoy helping and learning from others.

No one knows it all. Some have valuable knowledge gained from experience that can help everyone. There is always something new to learn and appropriately share.

I look forward to being a part of the forum.

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:16 pm 

Let me revise for the Reloading Forum as things seem to be getting out hand lately.

1. You are not ALWAYS right.
2. There is never a GOOD reason to insult someone.
3. Do you treat people like this in face-to-face social events?
4. You weren't born with the knowledge, so at some point you must have known absolutely nothing about RELOADING, too. This especially goes for the "experts" who seem to enjoy teeing off on a new member with a bunch of industry jargon and articles and expert reports.
5. People helped you out....return the favor. HELP being the key word.
6. This is a privately owned venue and we aren't bashful when it comes to asking the unruly to leave....no matter who you are or how long you've been here.
8. Calling someone names is not tolerated. Period. Even when spoken in generalizations like "Only an idiot..." it is not allowed. There are so many other word choices in the English dictionary to voice disagreement. Do it WITHOUT insulting each other.
9. People can disagree on methods, components, results, idea, thoughts, etc. Do so in a respectful manner.
10. Respond with courtesy and respect. Picture yourself talking to the other person face-to-face if you have to.
11. If you experience someone breaking any of the aforementioned guidelines, use the REPORT option on their post and let the Mods/Admins address it. DO NOT ENGAGE in a back and forth with said poster. That only makes the situation worse.
12. "Friendliest gun forum on the net" is something we make every effort to protect.

Post subject: Re: Keep it Friendly!! This means the Reloading Forum!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I think you are right!Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Respond with courtesy and respect. Picture yourself talking to the other person face-to-face if you have to. Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Amen.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Jay, did you just give your blessing to one of those echoing posting bots? Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:28 pm 
Field Grade

I quit forum on another domain, because I was verbally assaulted for my supposed ignorance and for questioning someone's cherished brand.. My sins? I threw out a couple novice "what if" questions for discussion and also complained about a manufacturer who I didn't think was being entirely honest in their data. The beating went on and on, and no one defended my right to speak.

I agree that people should be tolerant and friendly, but I still think people need the freedom to call manufacturers to task for poor quality, specmanship, etc. Remember, they're not doing us any favors. They are taking our money to deliver a product that is supposed to do what it's advertised to do. If the product doesn't do what it is supposed to do, or the manufacturer is not honoring the warranty, or if they're disrespecting customers, where do we go to get the word out?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:12 pm 
Crown Grade

I know that I have been guilty of saying things I later regretted. Most of us have I am sure. The thing is to learn by our mistakes and not repeat them. Differences of opinions are healthy as long as they are based on knowledge & sound judgement & not hard headed stupidity. Rudeness or insulting comments have no place in a rational discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:13 am 
Diamond Grade

It's not often that I can agree with every post on a thread but in this case, I can and pledge to abide by the moderator's rules.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:43 pm 
Utility Grade

How do I delete my account, I'm tired of people treating me like I'm an idiot solely for hypothetical questions

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 am 
Utility Grade

It seems that deletion of access for these type of jerks is a justified solution.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:36 am 
Limited Edition

TheTitan77 wrote:
How do I delete my account, I'm tired of people treating me like I'm an idiot solely for hypothetical questions

I've said it here before, and I'll say it again:

Once upon a time, fellows who enjoyed nice shotguns, bird dogs, and good hunting spoke, wrote, and acted like gentlemen.

Sadly, angry politics, rants on television and radio, and the like have infected everyone and people behave poorly. The ability to hide behind forums such as this allow people to act like uneducated rubes.

This forum is great and educational; it's too bad some participants spoil it for others.