It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Claybuster wads...OK?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey y'all,
I'm about to push the button on ordering some Claybuster wads for 12 gauge and 20 gauge loads and just wanted to make sure they are ok for shooting skeet? Price wise, the seem to be the way to go at about 2/3 the price of the name brands. Seems like I read somewhere that the Claybusters foul the barrel with plastic more than some of the others. Is that a real issue with todays cleaning solvents? Opinions please...Thanks.

Post subject: re: Claybuster wads...OK?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:00 pm 
Field Grade

i'm reloading remington hulls with 1 oz claybusters in 12 gage they load and shoot great. now 20 gage is a differnt story with claybusters i keep getting buldged shells near the base. but for 12 gage power is promo, for 20 gage im using unique cause your components matter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Don't use anything but CB's here. Only plastic fouling I see is in my wife's gun....20 ga Companion tubes with screw in chokes. Never see any fouling in my fixed choke Kolar tubes. "shrug"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Claybuster wads will be just fine....they will leave more plastic wad residue in some cases, but they are still a good wad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:15 pm 
Field Grade

Claybuster wads work fine in STS hulls. They are a bit long for AA hulls in both 12G and most especially in 20g. I still use them in 12 ga, accepting a small hole in the center of the crimp as normal and acceptable. But I absolutely cannot get a successful reload with Claybusters in 20g AAs -- not enough space. Rem RXPs work great, but are more costly. A better choice for both 12g AAs and 20g AA is Downrange wads. Buy small quantities of each and experiment until you get what you want.
Charlie Nash

Post subject: Re: re: Claybuster wads...OK?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

charlienash wrote:
Claybuster wads work fine in STS hulls. They are a bit long for AA hulls in both 12G and most especially in 20g. I still use them in 12 ga, accepting a small hole in the center of the crimp as normal and acceptable. But I absolutely cannot get a successful reload with Claybusters in 20g AAs -- not enough space. Rem RXPs work great, but are more costly. A better choice for both 12g AAs and 20g AA is Downrange wads. Buy small quantities of each and experiment until you get what you want.
Charlie Nash

Ditto

In order to get an acceptable crimp I increased the wad pressure, however this cause another problem. Increasing the wad pressure cause the wad to compress, if the shell being reloaded is one that has been used several times, as the wad begins to un-compress it pushes up on the crimp causing it to bulge. On the first reload and upto about the 4th I've not had a problem with them bulging.

SFC, USA (Ret, 1971-93)
Life member NRA (1967)
Life member TSRA (1990)
Member USPSA (1990)
Member ATA (2008)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:08 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

gohunt,
Yes, the Claybusters do work quite well in most instances. It is no rumor that they do indeed leave more plastic fouling in the chokes and forcing cones, but not so severe as to be a huge problem.

The better aftermarket wads are the Down Range brand, as well as the Duster wads. Both these brands are very high in quality, and load perfectly. Price wise, they are on par with the Claybusters.

For the 12 Ga I would recommend the Down Range XL series of wads, or the Green Dusters for 1 oz. loads, or the Blue Dusters for 1-1/8 oz. loads.

For the 20 ga., I recommend the Down Range DRV-20 Versalites for AA HS hulls, and the Orange Dusters for the Remington and AA CF hulls.

All the above wads fit well and perform great. All are competitively priced. Much cheaper than the OEM wads.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:31 pm 
Crown Grade

I have 3k out of 10k Cb's left in 12ga 10z and when that is over will be going with the Dr 1oz. pinks. Tried some of the DR and they just do not leave as much of the plastic residue in my guns as the CB's. Then again that is just me and my guns!

Post subject: Re: re: Claybuster wads...OK?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:35 pm 

fase3 wrote:
I have 3k out of 10k Cb's left in 12ga 10z and when that is over will be going with the Dr 1oz. pinks. Tried some of the DR and they just do not leave as much of the plastic residue in my guns as the CB's. Then again that is just me and my guns!

No, I is not just you and your guns. It applies to a bunch of guns, a big bunch!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:10 pm 
Limited Edition

The only problem I have had with Claybusters in 12ga is a little more plastic fouling. That is no big deal. But in 20ga the Claybusters have been terrible. There is a huge difference between them and the real Win or Rem wads.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

For 1 oz. loads I've found the CB1100-12 (WAA12SL replacement) to leave long, stringy plastic in the bore and choke. For some reason this problem seems worse in my 870 than in my O/U. Go figure! This hasn't stopped me from using them in the Rem hull however, as I get such great crimps as compared to other wads. When I load Win AA HS hulls I go to Green Duster or DRA12 (pink) as they are a little shorter and the AAHS hull has slightly less interior volumn.

As far as solvent to clean the stuff out of the tube, I use Hoppe's #9. One patch with solvent usually is enough, if not a bore brush does the job easily.

Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid. - John Wayne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:24 am 
Crown Grade

Head over to Hog Heaven trap club, can't be more than 25 miles from you. Try a bag or two of Duster wads, they are a dealer for them. It will save you on shipping, + a good product. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:34 pm 
Field Grade

I've had good luck with both the CB 1118-12 and the CB 1078-20. Both the 12 gauge and the 20 gauge load well, crimp well and pattern extremely well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'll chime in on the CB wads, too. I like the CB WAA12L wad as it seems to be just a tad 'longer' than the similar DR pink wad. This seems to help keep the finished hull crimps from folding inward too much when loading 3/4 oz. of shot.

Using the CB wad, in my gun, I've had no problems with the aforementioned plastic fouling. My guess is that this problem might be a result of certain screw-in chokes being a bit 'off', with respect to barrel bore and the rear edge of choke dimension. If the rear choke dimension is a few thou smaller than barrel dimension this might tend to shave off some of the plastic wad as it passes through on its way out of the barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:21 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Skeetldoo,
NO choke tub is smaller at the entrance of the choke than the barrel diameter. It that were the case, it would blow the skirt right off the tube.

This happens all the time. People allow a choke tube to become loose and if it unscrews very far, (Even just a couple of rounds), the same thing happens. Plastic builds up between the barrel and choke tube, and BINGO. It blows the skirt right off the choke tube.

What causes excessive build-up at the choke tubes is excessive relief at the choke tube. Too much difference between the bore diameter and the choke entrance diameter. Normally this is held to .005 to .007, and causes little plastic fouling. Occasionally you find guns that their choke tubes have .012 to .015, and possibly .020 relief at this point, and they do definitely accumulate plastic fouling very rapidly.

Also, if you tried the Down Range XXL-12 Pink wad, you would throw rocks at those Claybusters. They leave less plastic fouling and will fit better than the CB0178-12 wad does in your 3/4 oz. loading. If the wad is seated correctly, with no wad pressure, thereby not crushing the cushion section any at all, they will actually displace more room in the cases, than does the CB wad. Crimps are then very easy to accomplish.

Another fallicy is using a dense powder in 3/4 oz. loads. You need the bulkiest powders you can find for these loads, in order to take up some of the room. While there are several that do work pretty good, nothing works better than REX-0 for this load. It is very bulky and occupies a lot of space, and the cost is very reasonable. Cheaper than most.

DLM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

DLM ..

I had wondered about that. Thanks for clarifiying.

I have had good results using the CB wad - i.e., no plastic fouling, at least in my gun. When my stash of CB wads runs out I was thinking of switching over to the DR XXL pinks, per your suggestion. Seems many have posted good results in using the DR wads.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks guys for all your opinions. I'll finish up the current order of CB's then might try some of the DR's.
Bust'em, good to hear from a local. I've been down to Hog Heaven when my son was shooting in the school trap program. Nice facility.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am using a MEC press and reloading Rem hulls with 12.11Gr of promo powder #22 bushing, CBWAA20 and 3/4 oz. of shot (9's).I have no problem at all. It is all in the adjustment of the precrimb and final crimp and as far as plastic fouling you have to clean your gun any how. This is just me I have no problem with CB'S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here's what I have reloaded over the last year without any plastic fouling:

CB 1078-20 in a 3/4oz load with 13g Unique in a Rem 1100 (Remchoke)
CB 178-12 in a 3/4oz with 16.9g of Promo in a Urika I and Rem 870
CB 178-12 in a 7/8oz with 17g of Red Dot in a Urika I and Rem 870

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

CB's are my wad of choice.No plastic fouling problem for me.
Dave