It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/2 ounce charge bar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Question, Why all of a sudden loading .410 that i would drop to much shot using a 650 progresive, I removed the charge bar and looked at the insert, appeared to have to much play like there was a rim,. I changed the insert to another from another charge bar to no difference, There is not shot hedging that i can tell it drops every other time to be to much one time good and the other time to much, Driving me Batty! Anyone have suggestions.

Post subject: re: 1/2 ounce charge bar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How much too much?Are you weighing it?Everthing is a tight fit in 410, your wad could be dragging back up on the tube alittle making it appear you have too much shot.Polish the wad tube with some OOOO steel wool.

Steve

Post subject: Re: re: 1/2 ounce charge bar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:02 am 

Steve Y wrote:
How much too much?Are you weighing it?Everthing is a tight fit in 410, your wad could be dragging back up on the tube alittle making it appear you have too much shot.Polish the wad tube with some OOOO steel wool.

Steve
Also:
If you use past wax on that tube and deburr the bottom edge, you may stop pulling the wad back up. We have found a sharp edge on the bottom of some of those wad rams that sticks into the wad.
Insure that your wad is tight in the hull, I use the PC Orange.

Post subject: re: 1/2 ounce charge bar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Curley,Steve, I was looking this morning Closer at what is happening, It looks like 1, the wads are not going down all the way. two I am getting a hair over 1/2 ounce of this shot. However if i move to a diffenernt shot i get 1/2 ounce. Can shot from different manufacters vary that much? can they be like a 7.55555 instead of 7.5 I will polish the wad tube and de-burr it and try that...

Post subject: Re: re: 1/2 ounce charge bar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:12 pm 

Dean In Calif wrote:
Curley,Steve, I was looking this morning Closer at what is happening, It looks like 1, the wads are not going down all the way. two I am getting a hair over 1/2 ounce of this shot. However if i move to a different shot i get 1/2 ounce. Can shot from different manufacturers vary that much? can they be like a 7.55555 instead of 7.5 I will polish the wad tube and de-burr it and try that...

If the wad is not going all the way down, than you are not getting a flicker on the wad pressure gauge. Lower the wad ram until you get at least some small indication on the wad pressure indicator with the handle full down.
Yes shot weight per bar volume can vary, usually caused by different shot sizes. Same volume of Chilled #9 weighs more than same volume of chilled 7 1/2, which weighs more than same volume of Magnum 7 1/2 shot. Just some of the goofy stuff that you need to know when reloading