It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000 charge bar hanging up!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:15 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
Nylocks don't back off.... any good hardware store.

Old Stuffer,
I'll have to disagree with that statement, because the self locking nuts that come on the presses absolutely will back off with use. They possibly may not be the same nylocks you get at the hardware, but they are made the same way.

Easiest and cheapest is just double nut with a plain 12-24 nut and it will never move.

It seems that the continuous pressure release, pressure release, pressure release, is what causes them to back off. If tightened down to a continuous pressure, not intermittent, then they stay put.

That's standard procedure on any progressive press that comes through my shop for repair. It gets that rod adjusted and double nutted.

DLM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:17 am 
Crown Grade

D L Marcum wrote:
I'll have to disagree with that statement, because the self locking nuts that come on the presses absolutely will back off with use. They possibly may not be the same nylocks you get at the hardware, but they are made the same way.

MEC must of made a change some time back, because mine has never moved, tight as it was on day one, and haven't adjusted it since I put it on the Automate years ago. Or maybe the AutoMate just doesn't induce it ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:37 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

As long as it never moves, there's no problem. If it does move though, then it affects the bar travel. If the bar travel falls short, then powder drops are affected. That's why I always double nut them. I have seen way too many cases where they have moved.

DLM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:15 am 
Crown Grade

Well, DL, in a lot of years, on a lot of Nylocks, on a lot of different applications, I have never had them back off on their own, that has been my experience with them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:12 am 
Crown Grade

D L Marcum wrote:
If it is the "Skeet Special" bar, it probably throws closer to 3/4 oz. than 7/8 oz. It will have to be reamed to get the wanted 7/8 oz..

Don't have a clue why people continue to buy those "Skeet Special" bars, because NO-ONE I know of uses soft, (Drop Shot), shot anymore. Not even sure you can still get it.

DLM

DLM

not to be conflicting, but the skeet special bars have some use in manufacturing european loads. i use my Skeet 3/4 bar to drop 20.5-8 gram of UK #9 lead, the recipe stated 21grams so this is perfect.
the normal bars always exceed the stated international 28gram and 24gram loads respectively.
especially with #9 shot. which i have been using more and more of. (its a good compromise for my 21gram / 3/4oz loads)

for european loads they are "great"

ialso use the normal bars for dropping 4s and 2s...

i can understand your oppinion, but of course mine is exactly the opposite. if i was reloading american loads, i would be using the full fat bars and full cream style powders.
but reloading in the uk-europe is so different. i`m reluctant to use american powders because they are 4-5 times the price.

i`m reluctant to buy the adjustable bar, as i owned one and it was "faeces". i had to strip, file and re-build parts of it just to work (single stage). even had to cut out the inset cavity to be able to put in the metal inset without it protruding 0.5mm !

so its an alternate to the evil ucb.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
Well, DL, in a lot of years, on a lot of Nylocks, on a lot of different applications, I have never had them back off on their own, that has been my experience with them.

My 9000 is less than a year old and my Nylock nut has moved, too.
I also had to add a second clamp to the powder drop tube to get it to stay put.

Last edited by tubex on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

cookoff,,,,, I am pretty sure the bars made over here get sized for either 7 1/2 or 8 shot, so, yea, they'll throw a bit heavy when you fill them with 9's.

Same yet opposite complaint over here when someone actually weighs the shot charge instead of just driving on fat and ignorantly happy. They then complain and whine that the bar is throwing light, yet, again, their shot is probably magnum shot, which is less dense than the shot it was originally calibrated to, so the bar is crap, or the manufacturer can't make them right, when the real "issue", if one really exists, is that they are expecting it to be "right" when dispensing an off-specification product for the bar's calibration.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:36 pm 
Crown Grade

tubex wrote:
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:

My 9000 is less than a year old and my Nylock nut has moved, too.
I also had to add a second clamp to the powder drop tube to get it to stay put.

Are you sure that it was actually the nut that "moved", and not just normal break-in wear causing a tolerance stack up situation (that you might see in a machines first year of use) ?

In my mind, the only way that you can determine that a nylock nut has really moved (and in backing itself off) would be to mark it (white paint line, tape, etc.), and then monitor it.

I had a similar situation a long while back where it appeared that my nylock nut had moved in that the fillister-head screw in the charge bar wasn't contacting the left side of the slot in the measure assembly sometimes, and other times it was. It took a little doing to figure it out, but it was traced down to a filling the tall bottle all the way up to the very top. I since snugged up the pivot bolts in the measure assembly itself, and only fill the tall shot bottle up to the bottle support ring height. The nylock nut never moved.

On a semi-related note, when you do regular maintenance, make sure to put a drop of oil on every moving contact point associated with that rod's movement including the pivot bolt, linkage hooks, and the roller wheel itself (inside and out). I use Royal Purple gear lube.

Last edited by Republican on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

D L Marcum wrote:
Easiest and cheapest is just double nut with a plain 12-24 nut and it will never move.

DLM

Most rods on a MEC take 10-24 nuts.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Steve Y wrote:
Most rods on a MEC take 10-24 nuts.

Mine is a 10-24 (National Course) nut, yes..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

First mistake I made in the last 15 minutes prior to my post.

Real first mistake was getting in this conversation in the first place.

First it doesn't happen, and second I state the wrong size nut.

What a deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Are these measurements the same for all gauge loaders?

Curly N wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:
When I am loading every once in a while the charge
bar on my MEC 9000 will stick,
it hangs up on the little hook arm that keeps it on the powder side.
Its easy to tell which ones it misses as if it doesn't drop the powder,
it also doesn't get the shot next round.
I sit and stare at the loader and I am sure why it does,
as it only does it once ot twice in 6 to 8 boxes of shells.
Any ideas? Marcum D L, Curley and sharp Mec guy
DD
Lost and looking for direction :D

Not to differ with DLM, because he brings a very valid point
and the Baffle is a great addition
as is the adding of spring tension, but neither will cure spurious bar locking.
Bar locking is controlled by the height of the powder drop tube
and the amount that it is displaced when seating the primers.
Your primer seat pressure is not set correctly,
I am going to guess that you have the issue with Remington hulls.
See the pictures that I am splatting into this post and follow the instructions.
You are not describing a sticking or hanging(up)bar, you have described a bar
that is locking or latching at the incorrect time.
This is not your issue but you should do it anyway.
This will reduce the possibility of a Sticking/hanging Bar in the future.
Buy a 3/8-16 bolt with 3/4" under the head for each bar that you have.
This is so that you will have enough threads
into the bar to hold everything together and not strip the threads.

Now back to the problem:

Page 26 in this PDF file
http://www.mecreloaders.com/documents/o ... s/9000.pdf

When taking the measurements suggested below, there must be a hull in the reprime station and the handle of the press must be fully down and held down while making the measurement!!!

SEE THE WHITE CLAMP THAT IS RIGHT NEXT TO THE RULER?
FIRST Raise the handle fully. LOOSEN THE BLACK SCREW TO ADJUST THE REPRIME/POWDER TUBE, Then move the TUBE up or down an amount equal to what you need. You do not want to try to change the height of that big spring. Remember, you are slipping the tube either up or down within the clamp.

If you keep the handle pulled down while loosening the clamp, you will end up needing to move the tube down about 1/4 inch because the tube will be driven up higher in the clamp.
YOUR PARTS WILL NOT BE WHITE!

Less than 3/16 will give you spurious bar locking.

Also:

If you are checking that setting
when using a Remington hull, do this

Please take notice;
You only pull the handle down to take the measurement. After taking the measurement raise the handle, loosen the clamp on the reprime tube and move the tube in the direction required to give you a proper adjustment. Lock the tube clamp and Take another measurement. Repeat process as required.
The dimensions given are stated so that if you use a AA hull to take the measurement, that setting will also allow usage of a Remington hull when reloading without spurious locking. If you use a Remington hull to take the measurement, that setting will allow usage of a AA hull when reloading without spurious locking of the bar. Sorry I had not made that more clear. Those figures that I gave for the various hulls are given to help with making one setting that will cover any hull that you use after making the setting. I have also built a bit of insurance in the settings to insure that all primers used are set in place fully. As long as the primer setting punch that is under station #2 does not protrude more than 0.002-0.003" through the primer pad (That Shiney Donut), it is impossible to seat primers too deeply with a MEC progressive, no matter how much you compress that huge spring.

Another very important setting. If this is wrong, you will have bar lock issues. If you adjust the bar movement so that it hits the left edge of that window too soon, you can cause several other issues. So don't do that.

Now be sure that the bar lock latch hook is not sticking or bent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 pm 

Based on what I have seen, those measurements apply to all Mec Progressives

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Curly. I will check my loader this evening when I get home. I have done this before on my 28 gauge. I'm hoping I might be able to raise the tube to help with the sticking on my 410 loader. I've ordered one of the smooth operators but was hoping his might help some too.
Curly N wrote:
Based on what I have seen, those measurements apply to all Mec Progressives