It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC 9000 charge bar hanging up!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:29 am 
Presentation Grade

When I am loading every once in a while the charge bar on my MEC 9000 will stick, it hangs up on the little hook arm that keeps it on the powder side. Its easy to tell which ones it misses as if it doesn't drop the powder, it also doesn't get the shot next round. I sit and stare at the loader and I am sure why it does, as it only does it once ot twice in 6 to 8 boxes of shells. Any ideas? Marcum D L, Curley and sharp Mec guy
DD
Lost and looking for direction :D

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000 charge bar hanging up!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:01 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

First and most effective is to install a red plastic PC Powder Baffle between the powder bottle and charge bar. This eliminates the use of the brass washer and rubber grommet, which is mostly the cause of the hang-up anyway. Best $6 you will ever spend.

Also, add 3 flat washers under the spring bracket on the end of the charge bar. You may need a longer bolt to do this.. Adding the washers will increase the spring tention, and help prevent the bar from sticking.

PC Powder Baffles are available from Gamaliels and about all major reloading suppliers.

DLM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks D L, you be one sharp Texan on the reloading issues :D I will get one ordered today, I was wondering if it might cause trouble, but couldn't prove it.
Good old boys on SGW always helping fellow shooters!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:52 pm 

Dead Dog wrote:
When I am loading every once in a while the charge
bar on my MEC 9000 will stick,
it hangs up on the little hook arm that keeps it on the powder side.
Its easy to tell which ones it misses as if it doesn't drop the powder,
it also doesn't get the shot next round.
I sit and stare at the loader and I am sure why it does,
as it only does it once ot twice in 6 to 8 boxes of shells.
Any ideas? Marcum D L, Curley and sharp Mec guy
DD
Lost and looking for direction :D

Not to differ with DLM, because he brings a very valid point
and the Baffle is a great addition
as is the adding of spring tension, but neither will cure spurious bar locking.
Bar locking is controlled by the height of the powder drop tube
and the amount that it is displaced when seating the primers.
Your primer seat pressure is not set correctly,
I am going to guess that you have the issue with Remington hulls.
See the pictures that I am splatting into this post and follow the instructions.
You are not describing a sticking or hanging(up)bar, you have described a bar
that is locking or latching at the incorrect time.
This is not your issue but you should do it anyway.
This will reduce the possibility of a Sticking/hanging Bar in the future.
Buy a 3/8-16 bolt with 3/4" under the head for each bar that you have.
This is so that you will have enough threads
into the bar to hold everything together and not strip the threads.

Now back to the problem:

Page 26 in this PDF file
http://www.mecreloaders.com/documents/o ... s/9000.pdf

When taking the measurements suggested below, there must be a hull in the reprime station and the handle of the press must be fully down and held down while making the measurement!!!

SEE THE WHITE CLAMP THAT IS RIGHT NEXT TO THE RULER?
FIRST Raise the handle fully. LOOSEN THE BLACK SCREW TO ADJUST THE REPRIME/POWDER TUBE, Then move the TUBE up or down an amount equal to what you need. You do not want to try to change the height of that big spring. Remember, you are slipping the tube either up or down within the clamp.

If you keep the handle pulled down while loosening the clamp, you will end up needing to move the tube down about 1/4 inch because the tube will be driven up higher in the clamp.
YOUR PARTS WILL NOT BE WHITE!

Less than 3/16 will give you spurious bar locking.

Also:

If you are checking that setting
when using a Remington hull, do this

Please take notice;
You only pull the handle down to take the measurement. After taking the measurement raise the handle, loosen the clamp on the reprime tube and move the tube in the direction required to give you a proper adjustment. Lock the tube clamp and Take another measurement. Repeat process as required.
The dimensions given are stated so that if you use a AA hull to take the measurement, that setting will also allow usage of a Remington hull when reloading without spurious locking. If you use a Remington hull to take the measurement, that setting will allow usage of a AA hull when reloading without spurious locking of the bar. Sorry I had not made that more clear. Those figures that I gave for the various hulls are given to help with making one setting that will cover any hull that you use after making the setting. I have also built a bit of insurance in the settings to insure that all primers used are set in place fully. As long as the primer setting punch that is under station #2 does not protrude more than 0.002-0.003" through the primer pad (That Shiney Donut), it is impossible to seat primers too deeply with a MEC progressive, no matter how much you compress that huge spring.

Another very important setting. If this is wrong, you will have bar lock issues. If you adjust the bar movement so that it hits the left edge of that window too soon, you can cause several other issues. So don't do that.

Now be sure that the bar lock latch hook is not sticking or bent

Last edited by Curly N on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 am, edited 13 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Curley you and D L are some sharp SOB's :D and that is a good thing. THANKS! Ordered the powder baffle and tonight I will check this other settings. take care!
DD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

And yes Curley, they are remington hulls, nitros. You must have second sight or possibly a soothsayer, "one who can read the future" :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:33 pm 

Dead Dog wrote:
And yes Curley, they are remington hulls, nitros. You must have second sight or possibly a soothsayer, "one who can read the future" :lol:

And please report back with your findings! I really hate it when somebody asks a question and We take the time to work on it and we don't get to find the end of the story.
Kinda like your favorite show getting canceled mid-season. :x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:57 pm 

Dead Dog wrote:
Curley you and D L are some sharp SOB's :D and that is a good thing. THANKS! Ordered the powder baffle and tonight I will check this other settings. take care!
DD

Not that sharp, we just have made a lot of mistakes and took the time to figger out the answer. Doing that makes it stick, you know, "Hard way knowledge"! I only know a little about the Grabbers and the 9000 series, DLM is a library on all of the Mec machines in history.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Curley,
I cannot get the band with the allen screw on it to hold, when I set it for the gap you say on rem hulls, theband lets it slip back, no mattr\er how tight I get it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:30 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Dead Dog,
This is a common happening on older machines. However there is a cure. Modify it to the way new machines are set up and the problen is fixed,

New machines have 2 clamps instead of one. This is accomplished by replacing the 1 inch spacer above the spring with a 1/2 inch spacer. (Either modify the old spacer or order a new shorter one). Then place an additional clamp above the original one, (The metal tab for the locking rod goes between the two clamps). This additional clamp will then prevent the clamp(s) from slipping on the rammer tube.

Parts needed are a spacer, a clamp, and a socket head screw. Problem solved.

DLM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks D L you are a gentleman and a scholar (on MEC's) :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Curly, just went and checked both my 9000's and they are right where you show them.
I also threw away the brass washers and installed the red baffle, big improvement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

So I read this yesterday and went home and took a look at my machine (9000 G). My charge bar was definately not going all the way over to the left and I adjusted that. Not suprisingly my powder drops are now very close to where MEC says they should be and not 1 to 2 grains lighter. They are always fairly consistent, so I didnt really worry about them being consistently light.

I load both AA's and Remington Gun Clubs. I am definately not getting the 5/16th gap on my AA hulls and I'm probably not getting the smaller gap required for the Remington hulls. However, as far as I can tell my charge bar has never hung up and i'm not having any problems. Is there something I'm missing? I really don't want to violate the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.

Thanks

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:10 pm 

Dead Dog wrote:
Curley,
I cannot get the band with the allen screw on it to hold, when I set it for the gap you say on rem hulls, theband lets it slip back, no mattr\er how tight I get it.

If you are going to do the Mod that DLM suggests, order a new powder drop tube at the same time. and order 2 of the drop tube clamps. Your original may be damaged in some way or just won't hold the tube. You can also squeeze the ears of that clamp together with a set of Channel-lock pliers while turning the screw. If you ain't getting a sore point in your hand, it ain't tight yet! The screw will strip before the clamp, lube under the head of the screw and the threads too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:13 pm 

jt07a4 wrote:
So I read this yesterday and went home and took a look at my machine (9000 G). My charge bar was definately not going all the way over to the left and I adjusted that. Not suprisingly my powder drops are now very close to where MEC says they should be and not 1 to 2 grains lighter. They are always fairly consistent, so I didnt really worry about them being consistently light.

I load both AA's and Remington Gun Clubs. I am definately not getting the 5/16th gap on my AA hulls and I'm probably not getting the smaller gap required for the Remington hulls. However, as far as I can tell my charge bar has never hung up and i'm not having any problems. Is there something I'm missing? I really don't want to violate the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.

Thanks

Jim

Those dimensions that I gave are CMA (cover my @ss) specs that will insure that the press works and the primers get seated. If everything is working fine, treat it like a sore finger and don't pick with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:10 am 
Presentation Grade

Ordered all the parts yesterday and a few extras also. Like a wad finger guide. Curley D L anything else I should have ordered? Ya know some basic stuff that may break, I also got a return spring for the charge bar.
DD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:14 pm 

Dead Dog wrote:
Ordered all the parts yesterday and a few extras also. Like a wad finger guide. Curley D L anything else I should have ordered? Ya know some basic stuff that may break, I also got a return spring for the charge bar.
DD

Well, now is a fine time to ask! :shock: I have found that the only part that is guaranteed to break, is the little copper looking finger spring that presses down on the detent ball for the shell plate.

Looks like this. The part that I marked white breaks off.

http://www.mecreloaders.com/order/Order ... tsList.asp

Otherwise you need to keep wad guides, crimp starters, and a few parts that I must be forgetting. You can get that 1/8 steel ball bearing from your local bicycle shop. Ask for 10, they will probably give them to you, I would.

Last edited by Curly N on Wed May 19, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Way to be Curley, you know I am a newbie, you know I am slow and you didn't tell me?? Shame on you :lol: :lol:
But that will be on the next order and anything else you may think a peron "has " to have.
DD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Curley nohair and D L,
Thanks for the advice, recieved new tube, new drop tube, new clamp, new flat du-hickey that is between clamp and spring, new spacer. Loaded 200 rounds last night, everything fine. Still have the PC powder baffle coming. Looks like that flat du-hickey was bent up a little compared to the new one. I think I had a combination of things wrong. And I also adjusted the charge bar push thing so it pushes the charge bar all the way to the left under the powder bottle. Thanks guys for all your help, AGAIN!!
DD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:12 am 

Dead Dog wrote:
Curley nohair and D L,
Thanks for the advice, recieved new tube, new drop tube, new clamp, new flat du-hickey that is between clamp and spring, new spacer. Loaded 200 rounds last night, everything fine. Still have the PC powder baffle coming. Looks like that flat du-hickey was bent up a little compared to the new one. I think I had a combination of things wrong. And I also adjusted the charge bar push thing so it pushes the charge bar all the way to the left under the powder bottle. Thanks guys for all your help, AGAIN!!
DD

Glad to help and also glad the problem is resolved.
That index spring is part # 615C. Add that to the spare spindex parts and the wad guides.