ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mec 600 loader
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:49 am 
Limited Edition

Hi, All. I bought an older model Mec 600 from someone for 20 bucks, It seems to have all the parts, I think. I would like to get into loading my own shells. How can I find out if I have a complete loader or what would I need to get started. Need help. Thanks. :?:

Post subject: Re: Mec 600 loader
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Find a mentor, or Youtube. Download a manual and parts list.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

Go buy Lyman's 5th SHOTSHELL manual.
Lyman has 5 shotshell manuals, and 50 metallic manuals.

Read AND UNDERSTAND the Hull ID section first. Pages 22-43

Then go and read the "Reloading With A Single-Stage Press" section. Chapter 9 (Pages 78-84).
Guess what press they use........

Now read THE REST of the first 111 pages, BEFORE you start drooling over load data AND BEFORE you buy stuff.

If the 600Jr has the primer catch pan and the re-priming cup assembly (cup, spring, plate/pad) it is MOST LIKELY "complete". Those are the main "lost" parts people misplace somehow. Everything else is actually attached to the machine and requires tools to lose.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:57 am 
Tournament Grade

I agree with both posts above !!
dogchasers post on new reloaders also is a good 1 to read also!

I`m a self taught reloader/caster of the silver stream since `83 & I learned by reading & adhering to books data , now we have the world at our finger tips & while it helps it`s up to the individual to glean correct sensible info .
I never load a load either metallic or shotshell until I see it published !

Since you acquired the loader I know you`re itching to get started !
What gauge?
What are you going to do with your loads ,target or hunting?

As far as equipment needed look for a set of good beam scales next , confirming powder drop is a must always, I don`t trust digital.A set that`ll weigh 500 GRAINS will serve you well.

Enuff for now maybe too much??

I load 20 exclusively & have a few 12ga Remington green gun club hulls if interested shoot me a pm

GP100man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:38 am 
Limited Edition

Thank's all. It's a 12 gauge loader. I'll do as recommended , Book , and read the book you recommended before I start. I have a lot of Remi shells to go trough first. Thank's all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:54 am 
Crown Grade

I didn't see any mention of a scale - you NEED a scale.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:

Not NEARLY as badly for shotgun shells as you need for metallic ammo.

I have no idea how many 10's of thousands of no-scale loads (preceded only by dad's no-scale loads for almost 2 decades) whose recipe was as follows:

Predecessor to MEC's 600Jr press
Winchester CF hulls
MEC #0 bar
Red Dot gunpowder (any and every lot # ever sent past my bench)
Whomever's primers were on sale (I've used EVERYTHING domestic 209 (usually not Remington))
WWAA12 (or clone nowadays) wad
#7-1/2 shot chilled or magnum, I've shoved hundreds of pounds through that bar.

That bar, to this day, is un-modified (other than the groove worn in the end from the auto-return arm). Bar release to drop powder is manual, self-returns to drop shot on the next handle stroke and auto-locks.

Shell works perfectly 12 months out of the year, scorching hot or frozen winter.

Wanna come shoot some? I'll even make 'em while you watch.
Scale will be deliberately put away the whole time.

Last edited by OldStufferA5#1911 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:45 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:

If you want the modern analogue of that 0[zero] bar, bring a 302-118 bar with you, and an un-modified #31 bushing. I'll throw it in instead and away we will go.

For a Universal Charge Bar (I use 4 of them), a scale IS A MUST.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

If you are loading medium pressure target loads, sure you can get away without a scale- unless you are trying to figure out what volume you need from your particular can of IMR 800-X will give you a somewhat reasonable charge. But that's peculiar to 800-X.

If you are loading hunting loads, higher pressure loads, or non-toxic, then you darn well better have a scale.

I got a Lee Saftey Scale. It does everything I need it to do except it does not measure over 110 grains so it sucks for measuring shot charges. $20 brand new from Cabela's.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:01 pm 
Limited Edition

I have an old scale from when I reloaded brass rifle ammo. When I start I'll just be reloading target ammo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:20 pm 
Crown Grade

That's the problem, unless you get components cheap (auction, yard sale) you don't save much on loading target ammo. But...it can still feel rewarding and get you more involved. The nice thing is, just swap in #5 and you get perfectly good pheasant loads that don't kick any more than a trap load. Or put together full ounce and a half of 4s for a little more than the trap loads and much cheaper than $15 a box at a gun shop.

$20, that's a great deal, maybe put all the parts together in one pic and we can probably tell you if anything is missing.

Not sure where in MD you are but there are a couple shops in Lebanon/Lancaster area that are known for good prices on reloading components.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:08 am 
Presentation Grade

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/MEC-P ... /130325CP/

The most commonly missing parts on a 600jr are the primer seating assembly parts. Normally the spring and the pad in the above link.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:50 am 
Diamond Grade

The best way to see if all the parts and pieces are there, and get a guide on exactly how to use it, is to go to the MEC website and download an owners manual. They're available for pretty much all of their current and older/discontinued models.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Not sure about newer editions of Lyman's Shotshell Handbook, but the 3rd edition has a complete chapter on using a M.E.C. press.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Heres 's the link to the older Mec 600 jr's Owners Manual which includes a parts list.

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/Content/documents/600jr.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 am 
Crown Grade

I don't see anything wrong with a digital scale. It's all I've used for about 8 years after 40 years of using a balance beam and I'd have to say you couldn't pay me to go back. The DS is so much quicker.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

bladesmith wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with a digital scale. It's all I've used for about 8 years after 40 years of using a balance beam and I'd have to say you couldn't pay me to go back. The DS is so much quicker.

I think the potential problem with digital scales is quality. Good digital scales are as accurate as balance beam scales and more convenient. Cheap digital scales can not always be trusted.

I have an inexpensive digital I picked up for under twenty bucks that gradually creeps as it is used. But then, what would one expect for twenty bucks? (I use it in the workshop, not at the reloading bench, BTW.)

The most inexpensive balance beam reloading scale is probably the Lee Safety Powder Scale at forty bucks, and it will serve you well. I don't know what the lower end of the price range is for a "dependable" digital scale.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

desmobob wrote:
bladesmith wrote:

I think the potential problem with digital scales is quality. Good digital scales are as accurate as balance beam scales and more convenient. Cheap digital scales can not always be trusted.

I have an inexpensive digital I picked up for under twenty bucks that gradually creeps as it is used. But then, what would one expect for twenty bucks? (I use it in the workshop, not at the reloading bench, BTW.)

The most inexpensive balance beam reloading scale is probably the Lee Safety Powder Scale at forty bucks, and it will serve you well. I don't know what the lower end of the price range is for a "dependable" digital scale.

For what it's worth I have an inexpensive digital scale that I thought maybe was suspect. I purchased another relatively inexpensive digital scale and compared them to each other. They both read the same on the drops i tested. So, I think the problem was me over thinking the process. Maybe trying to be too exact for shot shell loading.

That being said I do reset the zero frequently and pay attention to what the pan weights before re-zeroing. If the pan weight varies then I need to reset zero. Also, as its summer and very hot I have a fan running in my garage where I reload. The air movement from the fan will effect the drops. I typically turn the fan off, weight the charge and then turn it back on. I've also heard that you need to let a digital scale "warm up" for a minute or two. I've never noticed as difference between a scale that I just turned on and a "warm" scale.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

metrout wrote:
For what it's worth I have an inexpensive digital scale that I thought maybe was suspect. I purchased another relatively inexpensive digital scale and compared them to each other.

"A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure..."

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

desmobob wrote:
metrout wrote:
For what it's worth I have an inexpensive digital scale that I thought maybe was suspect. I purchased another relatively inexpensive digital scale and compared them to each other.

"A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure..."

:lol:

Right? That's why I had to get that stuff out of my brain. The scale is fine. Don't overthink it. Use it as intended and enjoy making my own loads.