ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who makes the best hulls for reloading?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:10 pm 
Limited Edition

I have reloaded a lot of shells, most recently I finally went through my large cache of Activ hulls and now need to look toward a new load. I had a smoking great steel shot duck load, but the Activ hulls are a thing of the past.

I am contemplating loading tungsten-based shot, so I can get along with 2 3/4 inch shells in both 12 gauge and 20 gauge.

Of currently produced shells who makes the best once-fired hull for reloading? Would it be Winchester, Remington, Federal? Which hulls in 12 and 20 gauge do you think are the best all-around for producing a good shell?

Post subject: Re: Who makes the best hulls for reloading?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jake Windemere wrote:
... Of currently produced shells who makes the best once-fired hull for reloading? Would it be Winchester, Remington, Federal? Which hulls in 12 and 20 gauge do you think are the best all-around for producing a good shell?

Without question, Federal Gold Medal and Longshot powder are the class of the no-tox field.

That said, over on TS.com, there is a guy selling unfired 2¾" & 3" Activ hulls.

GS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:50 pm 
Crown Grade

For 12ga field loads, the Federal Gold Medal wins hands down. For 20ga, Federal hulls have a paper basewad, so the edge goes to Remington.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks. Anyone else have a favorite?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Remington or winchester. I prefer the win because they work better in my reloader. the rems are just a tad longer and don't make as pretty a complete shell in my reloader. I only shoot clays so don't know about hunting shells. good luck. GC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jake Windemere wrote:

Jake, you didn't ask abt 'favorites', you asked abt 'best'.

How many more affirmations of what S2R and I said do you need?

GS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:40 pm 
Limited Edition

goatskin wrote:
Jake Windemere wrote:

How many more affirmations of what S2R and I said do you need?

GS

picky picky :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

Clayduster46 wrote:
... picky picky :lol:

Guilty. ;)

Have those BEEEG Canada geese started coming in up around Albany yet?

GS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jake Windemere wrote:
Of currently produced shells who makes the best once-fired hull for reloading?

Remington. Federal GM would be my second choice. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:

Yes, I guess that you can have a favorite that isn't the best, but by favorite I mean which hull is the closest to what you expect (or hope to expect) of a hull. That would include such qualities as durability of the hull through repeated firings and crimpings, consistency in ballistic performance, quality of the brass, etc.

For example, most of the Federal hunting shells I have handled have such a thin plating on the steel head that simply carrying the shells out into the field in my hunting pack is sufficient to start corrosion on the steel. I am not a fan of Federal hunting loads for that reason. I prefer all brass heads. However, I'd take a steel head if the plating is thick enough to minimize corrosion.

Paper basewads are not on my list of acceptable hulls, because a duck hull is usually picked out of the water, so no matter how good a shell is on a dry skeet range, paper is unacceptable for my duck loads.

So, there you go. I guess you can figure what best suits my needs of currently available hulls.

I notice that no one is promoting Win AA. Is that because they no longer offer compression formed hulls? Is there an issue with durability?

Thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, like they say, here goes my 2 cents. The best hulls for reloading depends on what you want to load in them & the ballistics you want out of them. The STS type hulls are probably the strongest & best hulls out there for those loads that will work in them. They are extra thick at the bottom where slow burning powders could burn through a thinner hull. Unfortunately, they lack the volume needed for some nontoxic hunting loads as well as developing higher pressures. They are not available in 3" & larger hulls. Hull volume has a direct relationship to pressure. The Federal GM & one piece hulls are great & have a lot of room. The ballistics of a hunting hull with a seperate basewad is comparable but there is a possibility of a basewad seperation. The GM is the only high volume 12 ga. hull with a brass head that I am aware of. The Fed. 10 ga. & Win. 10 ga. have a brass head.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
The GM is the only high volume 12 ga. hull with a brass head that I am aware of.

Both great qualities.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jake Windemere wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I guess that you can have a favorite that isn't the best, but by favorite I mean which hull is the closest to what you expect (or hope to expect) of a hull. That would include such qualities as durability of the hull through repeated firings and crimpings, consistency in ballistic performance, quality of the brass, etc...

Precisely. You described your needs quite well.

S2R's favorite hull varies according to gauge; and he reloads for the games, primarily; my personal fave is Federal Papers and I load for hunting, primarily, and never reuse a hull a 2nd time, so I don't much care about reloading life.

But ... you asked about the BEST 'hunting' hull, and mentioned no-tox: FGM is it, and there is not much of a second place hull ... if you are going to load Steel, as well as 1-1/8 & 1¼oz Hevi- or Bismuth. If you're going to load 1250fps 7/8 & 1oz of 12g/cc Hevi- (not a bad load, btw, for big duck & decoy geese), any hull will work, but you've got all the goody out of them at that point.

Virtually ALL of your good, structural wads are designed for straight-wall hulls ... and FGM is the class of that field.

If you like Activ, did you try to look the guy up on TS.com?

Have a happy,

GS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Goatskin is 100% on the money.

Favorite hulls and "best" hulls are actually two different things, depending on purpose.

As goatskin mentioned, I'm mostly a target/clay guy, so if the question had been "if you could be given a stash of 1000 free hulls, what would you want?", my answer would have been:

12ga: Rem STS
20ga: Rem STS
28ga: Long version of AA-HS
410: AA-HS

But you specified field/no-tox use, so here are my picks:

12ga: FGM
20ga: Rem STS

I used 12ga Federal Gold Medals for target loads for several years, and I still believe they have more longevity than any other hull. But they are voluminous, require more powder, and require different wads, so I've transitioned to the more available, more economical tapered hulls. But if I had to load big payload or no-tox? FGM is the choice!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:49 pm 
Limited Edition

FMG? Is that Federal Gold Medal?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
If you like Activ, did you try to look the guy up on TS.com?

Not yet. I haven't loaded steel shells in a while because I have found Kent Fasteel 3 inch 1 1/8 ounce of #3 steel at 1560 fps to be a terrific load and seemingly as good as my old smoking load.

I might be done with Activs thanks to Kent (in more ways than one!).

But, I am intrigued by the real heavy tungsten alloy pellets and might look into tailoring up some 2 3/4 inch loads using an Oehler Personal Ballistics lab.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Jake Windemere wrote:
FMG? Is that Federal Gold Medal?

Yes, but that's FGM. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:06 am 
Limited Edition

sorry must have been lexdysic. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As others have mentioned for heavy field loads the Federal Gold Medal Hull is a dandy.

I also use it for my handicap trap loads.

for light target type 12 gauge loads and not quite so heavy field loads, like for dove then I like remington sts or nitro hulls, or remington gun clubs but I prefer brass heads over the steel ones that gun clubs have. Old winchester AA compression formed are nice hulls too, but harder to find.

For 20 gauge target or grouse/ quail loads I like remington sts the best. I don't load 20 gauge for anything else at this time.

my reasoning for all the above is the ease in which they run through my reloaders and crimp.