It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC 9000G Words of Wisdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Folks,

My MEC 9000G will be here on Monday. I have never reloaded shotgun shells before though I have reloaded 7mm Rem Magnum and .22-250 rifle cartridges. I would like to get tips, advice, and what to watch out for from folks that have reloaded using the MEC 9000G.

Here is the recipe I plan on loading:

Hulls: 12 gauge Remington STS/Nitro
Powder: 17 grains Hodgdon Clays
Wad: Green Duster
Primer: Winchester 209
Shot: 1 oz #9
FPS: 1185

I ordered a #502100 charge bar and #30 and #31 powder bushings.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you can pass along.

Scott

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000G Words of Wisdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Does the Multi-Scale "Universal Charge Bar" work as well or better than the MEC charge bar and bushings? I realize that the MEC parts are fixed while the Multi-Scale part is adjustabel in a wide range. I was just curious if it worked better or not.

Thanks,

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

I like the adjustable charge bar for the simple reason that you can get everything just right with a little tinkering. The fixed bars and bushings work, but are seldom right on the money and different sizes of shot will change things a bit. I would suggest a powder baffle to go with your new press and if you get an adjustable bar from Cabela's the baffle is included.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:39 am 
Tournament Grade

i found a site that had the universal charge bar and the the powder baffle together for 30 bucks. i will see if i can find it again and post it for you

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:41 am 
Tournament Grade

found it. here you go. also check ebay i have seen some on there. http://chrony.ca/multi-scale/FRindex.mv

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:47 am 
Field Grade

Scott,
I have been using both a MEC Grabber and a 9000G for about 6 months. They both work great! I sold my 9000G last week and purchased the 9000H (hydraulic). It works great also. You definitely made the right purchase in the 9000G if you were trying to get the most bang for your buck.
Here are a few suggestions to make your life easier:
1) Buy a large baking cookie sheet and attach it to you workbench underneath your press. When you spill shot and powder (and you will), this will contain the spill and make cleanup a lot easier.
2) Never, never, never, cycle the Press wihout making sure that a Primer dropped into the pocket right side up. Probably 90% of my mistakes came from this one failure.
3) Never cycle the Press without making sure that you placed a wad in the hull.
4) Do not overadjust the individual stations on the Press. They come from the factory pretty well adjusted and in sync with each other. The only things you should have to adjust are the Primer drop, the PreCrimp Die, and the Cam on the Crimp Closure die (thoroughly read the MEC manual on this).
If you faithfully perform #2 & #3 you will eliminate 95% of your errors.
I have found that I can freely move back and forth between AA and STS hulls with no adjustments, other than a very minor adjustment on the Crimp Closure Cam. Contrary to what everyone says about the AA hulls, I have had no problems with them once I got my Press properly adjusted. I also am loading Fiochhi and Federal hulls with only minor adjustments on the the CAM. If you find yourself crushing hulls, call the Factory Customer Service number for assistance. They were very helpful with me.
Hope some of this helps. Load up and enjoy.
Charlie Nash

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:26 am 
Utility Grade

Also, make sure you have a set of scales to measure powder drop. I was loading Clays using a #31 bushing with my Mec 600 Jr. but when I changed to the 9000 G, I had to move up to the #32 bushing to get 17 grains of Clays.

It seems to be true that the single stage reloader will drop a little more powder than a progressive.

I keep my shop vac handy. By the way, if you spill some powder on a bunch of loaded shells, the shop vac will suck up a loaded 12 ga. in a heartbeat!

"Lazy people don't even cook the game they catch, but the diligent make use of everything they find" Proverbs 12:27

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:54 pm 
Field Grade

Winders---Where do you order your press from??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

They tell you to NEVER EVER TO SUCK UP POWDER with a vac. NEVER EVER you could ruin your day. Sweep it up with a brush and if you have a clean workspace you can put it back in your container and use. DON'T USE A VAC.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Shanlin wrote:
Winders---Where do you order your press from??

I ordered mine from Larry's. Here is the URL:

http://www.larryssg.com/

The folks there are great.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:34 pm 
Limited Edition

I bought my 9000G from Precisionreloading.com, they gave me 1000 free hulls, Remington Gun Club shells, pretty good reload, you just pay the shipping.

Gregg in Orlando

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:15 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Mount a cookie sheet between the loader and the bench. It makes it alot easier to contain any spills

Steven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:45 pm 
Here's a few hints that may help. Feeding the primers is the #1 problem, as mentioned above. If you can chamfer the top edge of the primer rotation plate, they will drop better. The instructions say to leave the primer drop tube about 1/8" above the primer rotation plate. don't do it. put it as close as you can. Drill a hole in your bench to let the spent primers fall into a bucket below, or the will pile up quickly, and jam the first station. I also found that i had problems with the primers jamming in the tray. this only happened when it was full, so I just started putting in 50 at a time, and no more problems. I also put about 4" of spacers under the reloader so that the shell will fill up a large box, as you will be pouring them out rapidly. That brings up another thing. Just cycle the handle slowly, and deliberately. You don't need to rush. It will work better, and you will make less mistakes, and you won't believe how fast you will load 250 shells. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

There was also a good thread over on shotgun sports in shotgun talk, I believe, that had some really great advice on MEC stuff. Well worth going and checking out.

Best,
Chase

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:31 am 
Diamond Grade

Jersey Hunter wrote:
They tell you to NEVER EVER TO SUCK UP POWDER with a vac. .

I have heard of one fellow who puts a nylon stocking over the end of his hose, and fastens it with elastics. He leaves a slight bit of slack so that the nylon forms a slight pocket in the vacumn tube when the vacum is running. He then vacumns up his shot, or powder, (depending on what got dumped) Then holding the hose end over a tin, shuts the vacumn off. The shot/powder than falls into the tin, to be recycled.

Never tried it myself, but it sounds reasonable.. :?: