ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20ga. Win Super Target, Universals
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:25 pm 
Field Grade

Can i reload these Walmart cheapies? If so, more than once? I also have about 200 high brass Fed. game loads, how about these? If i can reload these, is there one wad that will work in both hulls, with using say Alliants 20/28 powder. Just bought a 1187 Premere, bought it for grouse hunting, want to reload some shells for hunting grouse, and maybe get the wife to try a little trap shooting. Probably would have been better off to spend the extra bucks and bought some Rem STS shells, then i would have had premere hulls to reload. Thanks Dave

Post subject: Re: 20ga. Win Super Target, Universals
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:07 pm 
Crown Grade

The Win Universal hull is probably the worst hull for reloading of all the new shells on the market today. Win recommends that they not be reloaded. Do yourself a favor and place them in the nearest trash receptacle.

Having said that, yes, they can be reloaded and a number of the folks on the forum have done so. The one time I tried, I could not get them to crimp, period. Crimps looked like folded spagetti, really ugly. If you try, use a recipe for Win AA hulls.

You don't need to shell out for the Rem STS shells. Buy the Rem 100 pack at Wally World. Costs just a little more than the really bad Win shells, but can be reload just like the STS and are great hulls. They are called Sport Load. I get from 6 to 8 reloads from these hulls.

Good luck, Bruce

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 pm 
Limited Edition

I agree, the Universals are not built for reloading. I can reload once, then the second reload won't ever crimp right. I gave up on those and stick with AA, Rem STS or Rem Gun Club/Sport Loads. I have never tried to reload the Super W. Does anyone know if these are the exact same as the Universal, or is there some redeeming feature?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:59 pm 
Crown Grade

The universal's will reload, but like others have said, it's not a good reloading hull.

The cheapy Federals (Top Gun) and Rio's (Top Target) load well, as do the Estates as shown here :

The Orange duster works well, and Hodgdon's Unaversal is a good loading powder. Unique works too. Here are some recipe's:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=205722&start=0&hilit=misc+20+gauge+chrono+test

MM3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 am 
Crown Grade

The biggest difference between the universal & the AAHS hull is the plastic & the material in the metal head. The AA & the STS have a brass head which some say resizes better, and is an advantage if you shoot in a corrosive environment. I like the STS hulls best but am not above using any of them if they will suit my purposes. I rarely load universals as I have plenty of AA's & Rem. gunclub type hulls but I have reloaded them & did not have a problem with the crimp. The 20 ga. hull Win. used with a flat disc base (plastic) before the universal seemed to have the same type plastic as the AA,(the one with the smooth plastic body). I liked that hull except for the steel head, which did not get along with my salt marsh bird hunting.