ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Win Super Target hulls - Any good?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:14 am 
Tournament Grade

I picked up some 20 ga. Winchester Super Target hulls that my skeet partner was using. Appears to be a 2-piece hull with a plastic base-wad. Are these trash? One-reload throw-aways? Is there data (WinAA data or something else)? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Win Super Target hulls - Any good?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:18 am 
Crown Grade

If it says "Winchester" but does not say "AA," pitch it.
It ain't worth the trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:22 am 
Diamond Grade

No good, they are the $5 a box ones at walmart.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

I second Dr. Mike. Unless they say AA, don't bother. And also my two cents on AA hulls. The AAHS 20 ga hulls are smaller in volume than the older compression formed AA which can create fitment issues (I.E. 20/28 powder and 7/8 oz of shot). I have loaded longshot which helps with the volume problems, but I don't like that it's very dirty and expensive. I load AAHS only because I shoot them in registered tournaments. If anything the Remington hulls are far better in my book until you go to 28Ga and .410 and then Winchester are hands down the best for hull life.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Add me to the chorus. If it isn't AA don't mess with them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have loaded them when I first started out since I had no other hulls. Would not do it again. Easy enough to get 100's of gun clubs for free and no separate base wad to deal with.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:52 pm 
Crown Grade

If they have a basewad shaped like the AA, it's a universal hull. If they have a flat disc base like the Win. steel loads, it could be anything. Winchester has made some pretty good hulls with a flat disc base, particularly in 20 ga. I think they went the way of the AA CF hull. Most reloaders don't like universals. The biggest problem I have with them is they have a steel head that usually winds up rusting in the field. I threw away a lot of rem gun club hulls as a kid because of the steel heads. I could get plenty of better hulls in those days. I have heard that universals jam in pumps & autos. It is said they have a short reloading life but not all that have loaded them think so. They are a two piece hull which can have a basewad seperation. They are not my favorite hull but I have never had a problem loading them or shooting them nor have I ever heard of one having a basewad seperation. I shoot only break open guns. Probably the best thing to do if you plan to load a lot of 2.75" hulls is break down & buy a box of once fired STS hulls. Gunclubs work fine also, if you keep them away from moisture.
Just looked at a site selling Win. ammo. The Super Target looks like all the rest of the Win. prmo. line, just a different name. I would be very surprized if it didn't use the universal hull.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

My take on Remington STS type hulls is this: If your spending the money, gun clubs or the "black beauty" field hulls last longer than the premium STS and nitro gold hulls. The metallic green STS hulls have the shortest life of all I've loaded. Sometimes cheaper is better, I can find plenty of gun clubs and field loads at the sporting clays ranges I shoot at. You have to thank those guys with the auto loaders and pumps.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:21 am 
Crown Grade

I have never been able to keep a gunclub, or any steel head hull, long enough to wear one out. Rust always gets them. I have two buckets of Win. CF hulls in various conditions. Some of which I believe are 40 years old or older. I also have some Blue Magic Hulls I use to color code special loads. They are still going strong. The only way I can get more than a couple reloads out of the cheap steel head hulls is if I shoot them right away & reload them as soon as I shoot them & keep repeating. That's the joy of living in a high humidity area next to salt water.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

geometric wrote:
If they have a basewad shaped like the AA, it's a universal hull.

Unfortuneatly, most of those who shoot at our little club use promo shells. Those who shoot better shells do not leave their hulls behind.

I cut open a 20 ga. Super Target hull and found the base-wad to look like that of the AAHS. Interior dimensions appear the same as well. So I loaded some up (using AAHS target load data), which resulted in about 1 in 10 having ugly or split crimps (the hull material seems less flexible that that of other shells). Nevertheless, the crimps stay closed and I'm OK with this for a one-reload hull. But am I right in using AAHS data?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have loaded them once and tossed them like the federal hulls.I used AA data for them,but like was said above the gun clubs are king of the hill from what I have seen,even over the STS and Nitro and I have some of all three.I have always had better luck with remington type wads in winchester shells than winchester wads themselves,go figure.I use tgt 12 and fig 8 clones from claybuster all the time in red and grey AA hulls also ,but they don't hold up like gun clubs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

ninepointer wrote:
geometric wrote:
If they have a basewad shaped like the AA, it's a universal hull.

Unfortuneatly, most of those who shoot at our little club use promo shells. Those who shoot better shells do not leave their hulls behind.

I cut open a 20 ga. Super Target hull and found the base-wad to look like that of the AAHS. Interior dimensions appear the same as well. So I loaded some up (using AAHS target load data), which resulted in about 1 in 10 having ugly or split crimps (the hull material seems less flexible that that of other shells). Nevertheless, the crimps stay closed and I'm OK with this for a one-reload hull. But am I right in using AAHS data?

I know the feeling about only being able to find the cheap promo hulls here in Canada. And to make it worse it seems here in Manitoba the only 20 ga. hulls you find are the Winchester Super Targets or Federal Top guns. Not a gun club to be found where I am. I've reloaded the Winchesters with the same data as the AA's and use them for once and gone in my 1100. The crimps aren't the greatest, but you work with what you have.

John