It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC Grabber and overall shell length
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently bought a used MEC 8567 Grabber (12 Gauge), I have a question re press adjustment and shell overall length. I've only reloaded 1 box with this press so far, they all turned out good except for 4-5 shells which had some small buckles about 1/16" from the end of the shell. The hulls are 20+ year old Winchester AA, the load is Win 209, 19.5grs WST, WAA12, 1-1/8oz. #9. The reloaded shells have an overall length of 2.320"-2.330". I have a few boxes of similar vintage factory AA shells, they are quite a bit shorter overall, 2.270"-2.285". This is just a thought, but to me it looks like the buckles are forming in the area that would have been part of the factory crimp. Am I barking up the wrong tree, or does this sound right? If so, is there any way to adjust the press to give a shorter overall length??

Post subject: Re: MEC Grabber and overall shell length
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:18 am 

If you add more precrimp and lower the center punch so that you have a rollover in the crimp of 0.055" and minimal swirl in the center, that is about as short as you want to make them without trimming the hull. Are you talking about buckles or flares at the top of the hull? Flares take a bit more of that last die lowering to roll the top of the hull inward on a taper. If it is a buckle you might want to raise that final die about a turn to see if it improves. You do want to adhere to that 0.055" depth of crimp for good performance year around. No hole in the middle on any of them and a bit of swirl in the middle is fine, not all of your hulls will be the same length, so to get rid of all the holes you will get some swirls.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:26 pm 
Utility Grade

They say a picture is worth a thousand words . . . but unfortunately I can't figure out how to insert one. The "buckle" I'm talking about is not a flare, they only develop on some shells, about 1/16" below the end of the crimped shell. It happens in the crimping die at station #5. The buckles are about 3/16"-1/4" long, oriented around the circumference of the shell. Usually only 1 develops on the shell, sometimes more. They make an otherwise good shell look crappy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:26 pm 

Otto V wrote:
They say a picture is worth a thousand words . . . but unfortunately I can't figure out how to insert one. The "buckle" I'm talking about is not a flare, they only develop on some shells, about 1/16" below the end of the crimped shell. It happens in the crimping die at station #5. The buckles are about 3/16"-1/4" long, oriented around the circumference of the shell. Usually only 1 develops on the shell, sometimes more. They make an otherwise good shell look crappy.

Ease off on the cam setting by raising it up a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies, I'll give it a try.