ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best 20 ga. factory ammo to reload
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I've got a new Beretta 686 20 ga. on the way and I'm going to pick up a couple of flats of ammo this week. I'm thinking about getting set up to reload for this gun so I want to buy factory stuff with the best hulls for reloading. I'll be using this gun for doves, skeet and an occassional round of sporting clays and 7/8 oz. loads will be the norm. I've read mixed reviews on the new AA hulls and I know a lot of guys like Rem STS in 12 ga. but I haven't heard much about using them for 20 ga. If I'm going to pay top dollar for premium ammo I want to buy the best hulls possible. What do you guys think?

John 3:16

Post subject: Re: Best 20 ga. factory ammo to reload
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Your best bet for factory ammo that is GREAT to reload would be the gun club line from Remington. It's cheaper than the sts, still has the hard shot and good components, and in my eyes has a better hull than the STS. It uses STS type hull data for reloading. The AAHS hulls are good, but the Remingtons last longer and have less fitment issues because they have a little more internal volume.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Anything rem. Gun club, sts, etc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks fellas. I guess I'll pick up a flat of STS at the store and then see if I can pick up some gun club loads at the range.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:28 pm 
Limited Edition

IMO, unless you're shooting registered competition and want the added confidence of knowing you're shooting the best you can buy.....skip the STS and buy the cheapest Remington load you can find. That might be Game Loads, Gun Clubs, All Purpose or Sportloads at a chain store or the 100 round promo packs at Walmart. Doubtful you'll see a performance difference between those and the STS and the hulls all load the same. Also, as you go around the clays courses you'll be able to add to your stash of free once-fired empties.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Great, that's good to know that the hull quality is the same on the cheaper stuff. If I can find some low cost stuff that's not loaded super hot I'll pick some up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:08 pm 
Field Grade

I am not sure it you have a Dick's Sporting Goods in your area but they have had the Remington Gun Club on sale every since Black Friday hit. Right now in my area they are buy one get the 2nd box 50% off. I bought 4 flats of 20 gauge Rem Gun Club Target Loads a couple of weeks ago from Dick's when they were on sale @ $4.98 per box of 25. I even got a $10 gift card from them for every $100 is spend. :D

Remington Game & Target loads (black hulls in 12 gauge) from what I have read are good hulls also but only come 20 per box so your cost savings is not a great as the Gun Club Target Loads. So when you are looking for good deals make sure you keep your eye on the shell count per box.

Another area to find hulls is your local shooting area. Last time out at the club a man and his son asked if I reloaded 20 gauge, when I said yes he handed my a plastic grocery bag full of hulls. Also I always check the trash cans at the club and found a plastic bag of 100-200 Remington Sport Load hulls (same day the guy & son gave me their bag).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:24 pm 
Crown Grade

As much as I like to hull-whore, and buy/scrounge/pick up 6 & 8-point Gun Clubs, I do still pick up the cheap-O yellow Federal "Top Gun" hulls to load once and toss. And if shooting an auto, the reload & toss mentality is the way to go, otherwise you have to deal with picking up your good hulls (which I save for the B/O gun).

The Gulandi wads work excellent in them, but I find that using Orange dusters in them, even though they are straight-wall hulls, yields a good enough SD chrono figures (~15-20) for Skeet.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=208071&p=1725797&hilit=misc+20+gauge+chrono#p1725797

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Republican:

Are you saying that the el-cheapo Federal shells will reload properly with the established Hodgon data, which I assume is for their top tier shells?

Does that only apply to the 20 ga, or does that apply to 12 as well?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:25 pm 
Utility Grade

TN Boy wrote:
I am not sure it you have a Dick's Sporting Goods in your area but they have had the Remington Gun Club on sale every since Black Friday hit. Right now in my area they are buy one get the 2nd box 50% off. I bought 4 flats of 20 gauge Rem Gun Club Target Loads a couple of weeks ago from Dick's when they were on sale @ $4.98 per box of 25. I even got a $10 gift card from them for every $100 is spend. :D

Remington Game & Target loads (black hulls in 12 gauge) from what I have read are good hulls also but only come 20 per box so your cost savings is not a great as the Gun Club Target Loads. So when you are looking for good deals make sure you keep your eye on the shell count per box.

Another area to find hulls is your local shooting area. Last time out at the club a man and his son asked if I reloaded 20 gauge, when I said yes he handed my a plastic grocery bag full of hulls. Also I always check the trash cans at the club and found a plastic bag of 100-200 Remington Sport Load hulls (same day the guy & son gave me their bag).

Thanks TN, I do have a Dicks near where I work. I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

berettaclayshooter wrote:
Your best bet for factory ammo that is GREAT to reload would be the gun club line from Remington. It's cheaper than the sts, still has the hard shot and good components, and in my eyes has a better hull than the STS. It uses STS type hull data for reloading. The AAHS hulls are good, but the Remingtons last longer and have less fitment issues because they have a little more internal volume.

Could not have said it better.

Remington 1100 20 Ga an oldie but goodie 1969
Remington 1100 28 D grade
Remington 1100 410 D grade
Winchester Model 1897 born in 1903
Breaking Clays, Fixing Teeth!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Yeah, all the Rem hulls are great for reloading for the 12, 16 and 20 gauge.

But when you get to the 28 and .410, the WAA-HS hulls rule.

And I don't understand why Remington and Federal do nothing about it.

BobK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:43 pm 
Crown Grade

kosmo wrote:
Republican:

Are you saying that the el-cheapo Federal shells will reload properly with the established Hodgon data, which I assume is for their top tier shells?

Does that only apply to the 20 ga, or does that apply to 12 as well?

Yes, - as shown in the photo (center) from the link I posted above, the Top Guns load and seem to work just fine.

In 20-gauge, Hodgdon's on-line webpage doesn't distinguish between a Federal top tier (Gold Medal) and the cheaper economy "Top Gun" hull for their Universal powder, - they only categorize them as: "2 3/4" FEDERAL PLASTIC TARGET SHELLS"

Their 7/8's oz. 20-gauge loads using the WAA20 (Orange Duster) are listed as:

Shell: 2 3/4" FEDERAL PLASTIC TARGET SHELLS
Lead Shot 20 7/8 oz. Universal Win. 209 WAA20 17 9,300 PSI 1200
Lead Shot 20 7/8 oz. Universal Win. 209 WAA20 17.5 9,900 PSI 1225
Lead Shot 20 7/8 oz. Universal Win. 209 WAA20 18 10,200 PSI 1250

Their charts for 12-gauge are a little different, and based on the powder selection I believe. For example, in 12-ga, and Clays powder, they list 3 separate Federal hulls:
- 2 3/4" FEDERAL GOLD MEDAL PLASTIC SHELLS
- 2 3/4" FEDERAL HI-POWER PLASTIC PAPER BASEWAD SHELLS
- 2 3/4" FEDERAL PAPER SHELLS

I don't load Federal's in 12, just 20. (I load the Rio's and Fiocchi's for my throw-away hulls for use in my 12-gauge Benelli autoloader)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Any Remmie hull in 2o gauge....or if you can find them, the older WW CF 20 hulls. I personally like the gun club 8 point crimp hulls....and can get all i want at my club for free from my more affluent shooting buddies who do not reload 12 or 20 gauge. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

Gun Clubs, sure shot, games loads, sts, 8pt crimps, 6pt crimps, they all are fine. Not to mention if you do come into 6pt hulls, you can use them for a specific load, say #8 shot in 8pt crimps and #7.5 shot in the 6pt crimps.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks TN Boy for the tip about Dick's. I went by there at lunch today and they still have the sale on the Gun Club loads. They have a limit of ten boxes per person but that actually turns out to be a good thing. The price came to $51.00 a flat. When I got back to work I looked at the receipt and it said that if you take the online survey (takes about 3 minutes) you get a $10.00 coupon for a $50.00 purchase. I went back after work (the store is right around the corner) and got another flat for $41.00. I'm going to do the same drill twice tomorrow and pick up two more flats. That should take care of the hulls to get started reloading with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:23 pm 
Limited Edition

Way to go, Redfish! I think STS are the "best." That being said, Gun Clubs are about as good as are the Sports loads. I get all three when there are deals to be had. STS and Gun Clubs has 8 pt crimps. Sports loads will have either. I don't know how to tell on the box, so I open a box to see whats in it. 6 pt crimps are find, but I don't want to have to change the crimp starter. If a couple of odd ones get in my batch, the 8 pt crimpstarter will get them closed, but the crimp is not usually pretty.