ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DRV 20 WADS
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:10 pm 
Crown Grade

A new wrinkle to an old subject. I can't swear this is the reason for the problems reported for the DRV20 wads but maybe it is at least part of the problem. Since there were credible reports of problems with this wad, I didn't want to take a chance with it on game birds. I thought by cutting the leg section out of the wad & inserting a fiber wad, that would assure there would be no problems. The problems reported seemed to be with the collapsible leg section. When I went to cut the leg section out, one of the wad petals broke off in my hand. All the petals & the cushion section broke up & fractured in my hands. Trying other wads, most were not as bad but they all seemed brittle. So, after throwing that bag of wads in the trash, I tried some wads from a bag I had used a few years ago to load shells that showed no problems that I detected. They seemed to be fine with no signs of failing when I twisted the petals. This leads me to wonder if the failures noted before could be the result of inferior plastic or a bad batch of plastic? The DRV20 is a clone of the old Pacific Versalite wad which was a good design. What do you think, anybody?

Post subject: Re: DRV 20 WADS
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:49 pm 

Mine were brand new and pliable when they fouled up.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't have photos to illustrate with, but I, too, had new wads and they were abominable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

wow.
they collapsed unevenly and melted too?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Yea, looks like BP's solution to stay away from them was the only one that is likely to work. I was going to cut the leg section out & replace it with a fiber wad but the plastic is very unstable & inconsistent, even if you wanted to go through the hassle. The pics Curly has looks like the plastic was relatively soft & deformed. My wads are a couple years or more older & the plastic is brittle & breaks & cracks easily. Neither scenario seems to define quality material or at best it indicates very inconsistent quality from batch to batch. I have used a few hundred to shoot birds & they worked ok & I have shot the original Versalites but I wouldn't take these in the field. Maybe they would make a good fire! What I don't understand is DR's failure to acknowledge the problem & try to fix it! That may turn out to be more expensive in lost sales than fixing the problem! They are still advertising them!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:04 pm 
Crown Grade

The old Hornady version is no better than the DR version. Years back when I was actively trying to find anything good about that wad Keven sent me a bag “hot off the press” and they weren’t any better than a few other lots of wads I tried. I could post pictures of lots of deformed and torn up wads but it’s just old hat! They are a poor wad design compounded by resin issues. The only remedy is not to use them. I’ve got several thousand I’d give to anyone who will come get them.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, you are sure right about the DRV20. Trouble is I didn't learn about the problems until after I bought the wads. I shot the original Versalite 20 wads but not enough of them to really get a good idea of how they performed. I still have some of the 12 ga. P. Versalites. I haven't shot that many but so far, they seem to work well. Do you have a recommendation for a 7/8 oz. 20 ga. wad? I have been using WWAA 20's for birds.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Guess that I remain an exception to what others have experienced and reported using the DRV-20 wads. I'm now up in the 9K range of 20 ga. 7/8's oz. reloads using that wad w/published amounts of Unique in both older WW AA CF and newer HS hulls. I don't keep exact counts of rounds fired, but know I'm presently into the 10K territory on buying them, so the math is easy enough. I've picked up hundreds of these wads after firing and have yet to find one as shown by Curly and others where it failed. I'm not refuting their experience, just saying that has not been mine and I am well satisfied w/them and will continue to use them. They performed just fine during the dove season here as well, tho I can't find as many to examine in the bird fields vs. on a skeet field. I do still pick them up to examine when I see them and have been doing so since failures were first reported here. If I experienced a funky sound when firing a round loaded w/them I would immediately began to question a cocked wad or perhaps other issues as others have reported, but have never had that be the case when using them. Just saying.

I do know from personal experience that old WW AA wads will become brittle and unusable junk after long periods of storage, speaking to the ones packaged in plastic bags.

If I experienced any brittleness with any wad and I mean by that to test for it by being able to bend the petal all the way down to the over powder portion and have it return w/o breaking, my recommendation is to throw them away and not load them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:13 am 
Crown Grade

"-----throw them away & not load them."
That is what I did with the bag that was deteriorated. I still have the good bag. Both bags were bought from the same place & were shipped in the same order. I don't know anything for sure but the only thing I can think of that could cause some to be good & others to fail is a quality control problem with the resin/plastic. I am thinking the two bags must have come from two different production runs. The ones I loaded from the good bag killed birds fine & when I heard of problems, I examined fired wads & found no issues. I don't understand why Downrange hasn't said anything & tried to fix the problem. There is definitely a problem with some of the wads. I won't be buying anymore!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:24 am 
Limited Edition

Not knowing the history of this issue, what is the affect of the issue (poor pattering, failure to seal pressure, safety issue)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:48 am 

Burnt Powder wrote:
The old Hornady version is no better than the DR version. Years back when I was actively trying to find anything good about that wad Keven sent me a bag “hot off the press” and they weren’t any better than a few other lots of wads I tried. I could post pictures of lots of deformed and torn up wads but it’s just old hat! They are a poor wad design compounded by resin issues. The only remedy is not to use them. I’ve got several thousand I’d give to anyone who will come get them.

BP

They make good packing material in boxes you are shipping! Easier to deal with than those peanut things.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

"-------what is the effect of the issue----"
From what I have heard, failure to seal, off sounding loads. They have worked for me & others but who wants to shoot with a wad that you are not sure is going to work? This last batch I was thinking of loading probably wouldn't survive the shock of being fired or maybe not even the stress of being loaded! Curly has the answer!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Problem some are having with the DVR-20, is the powder seal skirt is blowing out during ignition seal.

With the load I'm loading through my PW and running through Briley tubes, don't have the problem myself.

If you do need a shorter wad than say the CB 7/8oz wad to get void fill correct for ideal crimp, and running say a Mec machine where wad insertion and shot drop at done at the same time, then the Windjammer wad may be the better wad choice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Everyone who says the DRV wad is junk has had the same experience I had. Blown skirts, sometimes I like them but not in wads!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:11 pm 
Crown Grade

A great alternative to the DRV-20 is the Blue Windjammer 20 ga wad. Fits good and doesn’t self destruct, in fact you could pick them up and load them again! I’ve still got a few hundred AAs and STSs loaded with those danged DRV-20 wads. Not sure what to do with them, don’t want to waste the shot or hulls. I have pulled crimps and wads on a few boxes but that’s not a lot of fun either. Don’t really want to shoot them for anything I actually want to break or kill either. Maybe I could use air pressure to pop open the crimps instead of a screw or an awl?

BP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:31 pm 
Crown Grade

I really like the windjamer wads, but just not through a PW machine.

I can make them work by doing the 5mins in pillow case in the dryer under high heat, but have to do this ever time I go to use them, so all the pedal tips stay tight to the inside of the case on insertion; even with no pressures to the wad at seating as well.

Hence PW shot drop tube is the station after wad insertion ram, and if the tips of the pedal are even slightly off the inside of the hull, the shot drop tube is going to catch it every time, ending with shot between a pedal and inside of the hull instead (creates the bloober as well).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:01 am 
Limited Edition

After reading here they were the greatest 20 gauge wad in the universe, I tried them. I've used half a bag short of 6,000. I had one shell that sounded odd, but broke the target. I load 20s to less than 1200 fps. I don't know if that made a difference. My regional dealers no longer carry Downrange wads so I am not tempted to test my luck again.

I've loaded a couple of boxes with PC Windjammer 20s. They fit great and seemed to perform well. WWAA20 clones will work if needed.