ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 9000g stuck pivot pin
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Cleaning a, new to me, used 9000g. The short of it is, the pivot pin that runs thru the rocker arm is stuck in the bosses on either end.

I'm following Curly's directions in the sticky, so I've removed the clip over the chain link, and the chain link has come out, the e-clips have been removed from each end of pivot pin. The pin will not push out. Have soaked with kroil for a few hours, tried using a punch and hammer to drive it out, but no luck so far. The rocker arm seems to move freely around that pivot pin, and before I started taking this apart the press seemed to cycle nicely.

I've used the sticky directions before on sizemaster, and don't remember ever having issue getting that pivot pin out.

What am I doing wrong? Any hints on how to get that pin out?

The collet and the closer are just gunked w/ powder flakes from the previous owner, that's why I'm wanting to get it apart and put some fresh super web lube.

Post subject: Re: 9000g stuck pivot pin
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:37 pm 

Bigger hammer and large punch to get that pin to move. Wet all places that you can with Liquid wrench and tap the pin every couple of hours to try to get it to migrate into the juncture. Come back the next day, wet all access points again then put the large punch on one end of the pin and give it a good whack to shock it loose. Sooner or later it will have to come out, and there is no better time than now. It is unlikely to fix itself in any manner of which you might approve.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:50 pm 
Crown Grade

To add to Curlys instructions, tap it from both sides, might help loosen it, tap the bosses, the vibration sometimes helps the oil soak in. If all else fails heat, but plan on re-painting the bosses.
My bet is the pin is bent, they are the only ones I have had a hard time getting out.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:10 pm 

Will the pin turn in the bosses? If so, you should see some eccentric movement in the closer lever that would indicate it is bent. If you cannot make the pin move then it is probably corroded in place.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks guys. I made an airport run, and when I got home, I used a bigger hammer, and whacked away on it, sort of mushroomed the one end, but still made it thru both bosses.

It was bone dry in those thru holes, the kroil never penetrated. There was no way that pin would turn in those holes. After I got it out, rolled the pin on flat surface didn't see any lopsided-ness. I cleaned the thru holes and greased them up well, it went back together a little bit easier. Glad I won't have to do that very often.