It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Home-brew bushings
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:48 pm 
Field Grade

I just bought a used reloading outfit, a Bair Honey 405. I needed some other bushings, and I have a minilathe that I am learning to use, so I decided to make a powder bushing and a shot bushing. I bought some pieces of stainless steel at a local surplus house and I made the bushings on the lathe. Making them from stainless may be a little extreme, but it's what I wanted to do. From a financial and time point of view it wasn't worth it, but from an educational point of view it was worth it.

I made a bushing for 15 grains of Nitro 100 powder and a bushing for 3/4 ounce shot. I will use these to load up some very light 12 gauge practice loads.

Post subject: Re: Home-brew bushings
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Glad it worked out for you. I make bushings for my Hornady 366, though I wouldn't choose stainless steel. It is a lot harder to work than 6061 aluminum and the 6061 holds up just fine.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:10 am 
Field Grade

It's good to hear about the aluminum. Maybe I will use aluminum the next time I make bushings.

By the way, I used a scale to zero in on the right bore diameter for the bushings. For the powder bushing there was a drill that happened to make the right diameter. For the shot bushing I needed to use a boring bar to bring it to the right size. I brought it up to size in several cuts, just taking a few thousandths off each time. When I get more confidence I might be able to do it in fewer cuts. I finished off the outside and the ends with sandpaper on the lathe, and the finish looks pretty good.

I am basically a beginner with the metal lathe, and simple shapes like reloading bushings are good starter projects. Luckily, they turned out very fine, and I learned a lot when making them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:59 am 
Crown Grade

massmanute wrote:
It's good to hear about the aluminum. Maybe I will use aluminum the next time I make bushings.

By the way, I used a scale to zero in on the right bore diameter for the bushings. For the powder bushing there was a drill that happened to make the right diameter. For the shot bushing I needed to use a boring bar to bring it to the right size. I brought it up to size in several cuts, just taking a few thousandths off each time. When I get more confidence I might be able to do it in fewer cuts. I finished off the outside and the ends with sandpaper on the lathe, and the finish looks pretty good.

I am basically a beginner with the metal lathe, and simple shapes like reloading bushings are good starter projects. Luckily, they turned out very fine, and I learned a lot when making them.

the density of some powders do change from lot to lot. check whenever you use a new bottle of powder.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

We all learn a lot starting from the basic's and work up,trial and error,comes into play and even with
problems and some failures, you will never forget the experience.It will help you eliminate problems down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would think the other reason they are made of aluminum is there would be no chance of a spark.
Steel smacking steel can create a spark. Seems very unlikely, but I would use aluminum for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

As I said in the other post Redding, RCBS, Hornady, and others use steel and cast iron in their powder measures. With the slow operation of reloading tools the chance of steel/iron sparking is non existent, if a person was running high speed loading machines then maybe, a very slim maybe.

The aluminum is used because it is much easier to machine and tooling lasts for a long time.