CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powder flakes outside of powder area?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, I don't know exactly how to word it and I'm having a hard time searching on it though I'm sure it's been discussed before.

How do you avoid having some powder flakes escape the powder hull area? For example, I load 20ga and everything being yellow I can hold a loaded shell up to the light and see powder flakes floating around in the compression area of the wad. Any idea what causes this and how to avoid it? I know static can be one culprit and having the powder cling to the interior wall as the charge gets dropped in but sometimes it happens when the powder all nicely rests in the bottom of the shell before the wad gets inserted.

Post subject: Re: Powder flakes outside of powder area?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't think there's any way to avoid it but I have my loader handle all the way down when I drop the powder... Are you using a good wad for your hull? What I mean is, does it fit snug?

Caesar Guerini Ascent 12ga 32"
Remington 11-87 20ga 28"

NSCA #621387
NSCA Level 1 Instr
NRA Rifle Instr
NRA SG Instr

https://sites.google.com/site/shootinwithscott/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:25 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

It happens, many times seating the wad will compress the air under the wad and blow powder up and into the cushion section. Seating the wad slower may help or using a wad with little air vents on the powder cup may help. I just load them and shoot them not paying much attention to a bit of powder migration. It hurts nothing. Count how many flakes you can see sometime and put that many on your scale and see how much it weighs. It just won't make any difference.

BP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been using a 6" long by 1" wide strip of fabric softener sheet (the kind you throw into the clothes dryer) hanging from the fill hole cap of my powder bottle in the press. This has totally stopped any and all powder cling on the bottle, the hulls and everywhere else as well. The cling is problematic in these dry winter months when humidity is very low. Also, is your press grounded?
Give it a try...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:25 am 
Tournament Grade

It's more of a problem in straight walled hulls than it is in tapered hulls like Rem Gun Clubs or Win AA. Even Federal wads allow more powder to slip past the gas seal than I am comfortable with. If you really want to stop the powder migration in straight walled 20ga hulls, use Guliandi(sp) 2021 or 2025. Ballistic Products sells them at SG20S or SG20L. They have an anti-migration skirt just in front of the gas seal that keeps all of the powder where it belongs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Star4Ever wrote:
I have been using a 6" long by 1" wide strip of fabric softener sheet (the kind you throw into the clothes dryer) hanging from the fill hole cap of my powder bottle in the press. This has totally stopped any and all powder cling on the bottle, the hulls and everywhere else as well. The cling is problematic in these dry winter months when humidity is very low. Also, is your press grounded?
Give it a try...

Just be careful about the sheet getting into your powder baffle. Don't ask me how I know this....

Caesar Guerini Ascent 12ga 32"
Remington 11-87 20ga 28"

NSCA #621387
NSCA Level 1 Instr
NRA Rifle Instr
NRA SG Instr

https://sites.google.com/site/shootinwithscott/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Haha. I'll be wary of that with the sheet.

If it matters or not, I'm reloading Gun Clubs and STS hulls, with the Claybuster 3/4 oz wads and some of their WAA20 clones, I'm wondering if using Remington wads.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

This may or may not work for progressive presses, (I use a Mec 600 Jr), but I keep a dryer sheet next to the press, and between primer seating and before powder charging, I just do a quick swab of the outside of the hull and then I have no problem with powder flakes sticking to the sides of the hull.