It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PW 800 Plus. Question / Issues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

I adjusted the wad seater as stated above. I was definitely too low from the factory. I made some adjustments on both the pre and final crimps and went just a shade too far on both. I decided to hook up the auto drive for the last 14 shells I had. It went off with out a hitch, (other than I needed to adjust the primer seater up an additional 1/8 turn). Other than that, it seems to be running fine, even with Fio primers.

I'm going to construct a new bench this weekend and mount the auto drive safety button in a spot that both hands can operate it under the bench. I'll also put in a drawer to hold the tool heads for the other gauges.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here is a video of my press in operation with no hulls in the stations. What has me a little concerned / confused is that the die will move up and then the shell plate kind of gets jerked around. I also included the view of my primer seater. I keep reading where the desired height is to be 0.035". I've not measured mine but, it is certainly over 0.035". Does this look correct? It is loading shells now. If additional videos would be helpful, I can take them and get them uploaded. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj1cDGlg8bE&feature=plcp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:19 pm 
Crown Grade

mooster1223 wrote:
This is what my shell looks like out of the pre crimp station.

It does a pretty good job of eliminating the hole in the center but, some hulls still have a small one. I'll try to move the final crimp down a touch. I ran some of the shells through my shotgun and they all ran fine. I figure I have plenty of "roll over" at this point and will back the spring off when I lower the final crimp.

Thanks for the tip on seating wads. I came from a MEC so, that's all I know. The instructions in the manual are vague. They state to put an erasure in the bottom and adjust until you get no play. I didn't really understand what they were saying. I'll give your method a go this evening.

Would help to see the shot line before pre-crimping, but your pre-crimp setting is fine. Right now you have the pre fold lines over the top of the crimp, and when you set up the crimper correctly, all is going to be right as rain,

Drop down the entire crimper about 1/4 more a turn clockwise (top of the tool plate slotted threaded rod with jam nut, and do not tighten the jam nut until you have the handle back down to center the crimper on the sizer/hull below it), then screw the taper crimper tension nut down about 2 full turns downward towards the cup to add some more taper crimper tension (the nut on the crimper just above the crimper cup spring to add more tension on the cup as it rolls the folds inwards.

Again, the taper crimper nut not only sets the outside taper on the crimp, but is the initial crimper cup force that starts to fold the crimp folds down as well.

To add, if you take a look at your crimp, you will notice that it off sided compared to the crimp edges. The reason for that, you tighten the top jam nut without having the crimper centered on crimped hull below it first. Also, If you ever go to remove the crimper entirely via the back cross plate set screw (drop it out the tool plate), before you go to retighen the cross plate set screw to secure the threaded rod sleeve in the top plate channel, make sure that the handle is down, with the crimper centered on the sizer first.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:27 pm 
Crown Grade

mooster1223 wrote:
Here is a video of my press in operation with no hulls in the stations. What has me a little concerned / confused is that the die will move up and then the shell plate kind of gets jerked around. I also included the view of my primer seater. I keep reading where the desired height is to be 0.035". I've not measured mine but, it is certainly over 0.035". Does this look correct? It is loading shells now. If additional videos would be helpful, I can take them and get them uploaded. Thanks.

Depends,

Check the all the way down stroke to make sure that the bar (what was one the handle) is kissing the base rubber button, then on the bar all the way back up, double check to make sure that the cam plate is seated all the way down in the base sleeve for it (maxed out here as well). Once you have the machine full stroking correctly with the autodrive, then you may have to go back and adjust the hull seating post and primer assembly.

But in general, the height of the primer seating post should be the same height as the face of the hull insertion post, with the hull insertion post seating the hulls flush with the bottom of the sizer (or a touch upwards into them), with neither of these stations limiting out the handle up stoke. but adjusted to the cam plate bottoming out instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Once you get the loader,set up to load using the manual operation and you are satisfied with the way the shells are coming out,then proceed to hook up the auto drive as Dano says,but it is better that
you try and load a single shell first with the Auto Drive connected.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:19 pm 
Crown Grade

gab909 wrote:
Look at the bright side, you have gained more technical knowledge of the workings of that machine than many people have in a lifetime. That machine and you are one and the same now. Way to work through it, and not give up.

Yeah, I learned all about MEC 9000s by buying a lemon on EBAY.

Now I'm considering getting a PW 800+ or a Spolar, and this thread has me thinking the PW 800 is no better than a 9000.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

mooster1223 wrote:

That's funny, I must have watched that video at least a dozen times in the last week. Trying to see where the spent primer would go, but can't see it on any of the videos.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:03 am 
Crown Grade

John Henry wrote:
That's funny, I must have watched that video at least a dozen times in the last week. Trying to see where the spent primer would go, but can't see it on any of the videos.

The primer is knocked out of the hull when the cross plate is all the way up via the primer knock out tool in the tool head above the U slot in the cross plate, and the primer is caught by a chute that will flap over over to catch it as it drops down to the U slot.

If you look under the U slot to the left hand side, will see this chute being pushed back to the left via the top side of the primer assembly when the cross plate comes all the way back down again, and which point the primer that was caught in the chute when the cross plate was all the way up, is the release and dropped to a spent primer cup that sits to the left of the primer assembly on the base plate.