ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crimping NEW Cheddite hulls
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Gentlemen,

Since I have been gearing up to get back to reloading shotshells, after an unpleasant forced layoff, I find myself short of hulls (I had to dispose of 10k+ Rem sts & Win AAs due to lack of storage before I moved).

Once fired hulls are (sometimes) available locally (mostly Feds and Rems) but availability is spotty (particularly this time of year), so I've been kicking around other options for the upcoming trap season. I'd like to have a couple thousand loaded before warm weather, so Dad and I can get in some practice early in the year and I don't have to be at the reloading press when I should be out shooting.

Doing some research online, I found new primed Cheddite hulls for $8.99/100. Seems like a good price for new hulls, considering that they're already primed.

This got me to thinking. Rather than buying once-fired hulls and primers, maybe I should get a quantity of these primed hulls, load them, shoot them, then reload them for the trap season. I'll probably be using Cheddite primers anyway, due to availability and price locally.

My first question is, does this seem like a sound idea? Using new Cheddite hulls for trap loads in lieu of once fired STS or AAs? I've probably only loaded 500 or so Cheddites, so I really can't form an opinion on them.

My second question pertains to crimping. The new Cheddites for sale are skived, but have never been crimped. What is the best way, and what do I need to use, to go about forming the crimp the first time? Will the regular crimp starter on my Hornady presses work? if not, I have some Lee load alls with the solid plastic crimp starters that I could clamp to the bench and put some meat to, if needed.

FWIW, I'll probably be loading 1oz loads and I'll have to get some proper wads for the straight hulls as I have been using mostly Figure 8 wads, which I assume won't be a good fit in the Cheddite hull.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Papershotshells

PROUD NRA member (if you're not a member WHY?) Wish List: Lyman easy shotshell loader 6 point crimp starter and BUSHINGS, roll crimper 12ga. Card & filler wads 16ga. If you have any of these things, PM me, I'll trade you or buy them from you.

Post subject: Re: Crimping NEW Cheddite hulls
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Paper'

The one thing I found the Lee load all to work well for is forming the first crimp on new hulls. There are a lot of Cheddite hulls unloaded on trap ranges hereabouts and they will load a few times without issue. I would prefer once fired AA or RP to new Cheddites but your local situation well dictate your decision. I think .089 @ is plenty for Cheddite hulls but if you need hulls it's not hiway robery either.

BP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Crimping new pre-primed skived hulls on a MEC is easy, fun, and no preparation is needed. Just take your pick on the 8-pt starter, or the 6-pt starter. I sorta lean towards the 6-pt starter, but done probably as many 8-pt. I don't have a Hornaday, but I just can't imagine it being any different.

If the cost is on your side, then give her a whirle. I got into loading those Fiocchi and Cheddite multihulls because I got a bunch of them at an estate sale. The pre-primed Fiocchi's seems a tad bit better than the pre-primed Cheddites, but they are both very close to each other, and both would use the same recipes.

For 1-oz, the best wad on the planet is the Gualandi GU-1225 for which Ballistic Products Inc. sells them as the "Spitfire" wad. They used to be affordable, but I'm told the price has gone thru the roof. A more affordable wad would be the Claybuster CB2100-12 (12S0 clone), and their newest CB6100-12 Winchester-style wad with a powder cup designed for Euro hulls. I'd stay away from the Downrange DRF0/3 as they have undersized powder cups, and they won't seal correctly in straight-wall hulls.

1-oz of shot in the Claybuster CB6100-12 in those hulls when compared to a Rio hull:

I load 20 grains of clays in 1-oz, which is a little hot, but I also load them for a Benelli Cordoba which needs a little extra moxie to cycle the Inertia-driven action.

Last edited by Republican on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks BP.

I would prefer to use STS hulls, but as you stated, local conditions may vary.

The $0.89 price IS primed, which is a concern, as at least locally, primers are a bit scarce right now.

Thanks for the input on forming the crimp with a Lee. That's what I had in mind, as I can put more pressure on that and keep the hull in a stationary position (not worried about damaging my Lee presses as I don't use them and I have SEVERAL, lol). I was thinking of doing the initial crimp forming on the Lee press, doing all the other reloading steps on my other presses, then reloading as usual on my Hornady press for subsequent loadings.

I'm still going to try to find a good deal locally on once fired GOOD hulls, but I may order some of the Cheddites at this price, just because I can always use them, and they're primed.

Papershotshells

PROUD NRA member (if you're not a member WHY?) Wish List: Lyman easy shotshell loader 6 point crimp starter and BUSHINGS, roll crimper 12ga. Card & filler wads 16ga. If you have any of these things, PM me, I'll trade you or buy them from you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Republican,

Thanks for your input, and thanks especially for the pictures. I can do 6 point crimp, I have the starters, and 6 pointers have never bothered me.

The 12S0 clone is the wad that I was considering, after my research, as it is available locally.

Papershotshells

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:55 pm 
Crown Grade

papershotshells wrote:
Republican,

Thanks for your input, and thanks especially for the pictures. I can do 6 point crimp, I have the starters, and 6 pointers have never bothered me.

The 12S0 clone is the wad that I was considering, after my research, as it is available locally.

Papershotshells

Nothing like new crisp clean 6-point crimps and a bag of zero-fired pre-primed hulls!

Much like you, I too was fretting over how to put the initial crimp on them babies. But to my total amazement, - I just ran one thru my MEC 9000 with it's measly little plastic crimp starter cup, and Badda-BING they came out nice.

Just give a holler if you'd like to try some Gualandi GU-1225's, the CB2100-12, or the CB6100-12 wads, - I got some here that I can send you as samples if you are interested. Just send a PM.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:21 am 
Diamond Grade

IMHO you need to fuggitabout any two piece hull for reloading. Same for using the Lee Load-All. As my Old Man would say: "You can't shine sh*t; it just won't take a polish". Don't be afraid to dumpster dive for Remington Unibody (one piece) hulls. Buy same if required. Bonus feature: plenty of suitable wads are available at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:38 am 
Diamond Grade

If you want some more Remington Hulls Paps Charlie may still be shipping them.

https://sites.google.com/site/papcharlieshulls/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:03 am 
Limited Edition

If you like I have 12 aa free plus shipping. Largest flat rate box full I am not going the count 20 gauge GC free plus ship same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Gents,

Thanks for all the input. I much prefer STS hulls for all my reloading, but as stated local availability is not good, dumpster diving is just not an option right now due to weather. I e-mailed pap charlie to see what he has in stock right now. If nothing else, I may try some of the Cheddites, now that I know forming a new crimp won't be a problem.

Shootshellz,

I'm not planning on using the Load All for loading any shells, was just thinking about using it to help form new crimps if needed. I do most of my loading with Hornady presses, the Lee is just a hold over from when I started reloading, it was the first press I ever bought.

geoh,

PM sent, thank you.

Papershotshells

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:35 am 
Crown Grade

Your better off buying CG,STS and AA factory shooting them once and using the hulls. Much better than Eurotrash hulls. No need to jump thru hoopes when reloading.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:59 pm 
Crown Grade

The STS hulls look nicer, but any of the Remington shells will reload the same and last as long.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don't particularly care for Cheddite or other euro-trash hulls but I do load them.

I received 100 brand new primed Cheddite 12 gauge hulls in a hull/component trade. I loaded them last night on my Sizemaster using the standard plastic 8 point crimp starter - the crimps were all very good. I'll shoot these once and then toss them, just as I toss the once fired Cheddite hulls that I use when I don't want to bother with saving the hulls.

I use Cheddite hulls for all of my 16 gauge reloading because, as bad as they are, they are the best we have today for 16 gauge. I get about 3 to 5 loads before I toss the 16 gauge hulls.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Burnt Powder wrote:
I think .089 @ is plenty for Cheddite hulls but if you need hulls it's not hiway robery either.

They are .0767 shipped to your door step when you order a 2,200 count case (and use the BPI flat-rate shipping code that gets mailed out each month and is good untill Jan 6).

And 15-cents/hull for the Federal (Gold Medal?) with Federal 209A primer :

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:32 am 
Crown Grade

i have to admit that i`ve started reloading virgin hulls exclusively.
for me it is a no brainer. To buy the primers is as expensive as brand new hulls.
The difference is £20. i just look at it as i`m paying not to sort and condition hulls.

even though this is a hobby, i`ve had to cut a few corners at expense.

as for reloading and economics and use, its hard to beat "fire and forget".
now, i have come to the point of cutting the used crimps off and loading for 2.5".

so having 2 loads out of a hull, isnt too bad with euro hulls.

as for the OP, i have crimped 1000`s of new hulls, first i like to crimp slowly in the pre crimp, and hold it there for a couple of seconds, just so the folds form, and stress the plastic longer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:16 pm 
Field Grade

I bought a couple thousand new, skivved, primed 16 ga. Cheddite hulls from BP last year. No matter what I did, they would not crimp. The crimps look like a squashed spider on LSD. I experimented for days with no success. I finally gave up on them and returned to re-loading black plastic, Remington Game Loads. Only problem with those, is that the crimps get brittle and crack after only a couple reloads. Then the wad guide fingers do not do a good job, and the wad catches, tearing the hull. You can get around this for a while by flaring the mouth of the hull in a separate step. But it is a pain. I suspect the problem with the Cheddites is my Spindex. Although this machine was brand new last year, the Spindex has very dull edges. VERY DULL. I have 20 and 12 ga. Mecs which are over 15 years old, and the edges are still sharp on their spindexes. I bought one of the brass pre-crimps, but they don't rotate and self align. So I prefer not to use them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Look into BP's super crown crimper to crimp those new Cheddite hulls. I'm betting that is exactly what it was made for.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super- ... o/0740006/