Shotgun Forum banner

HS-7

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  mtgrs737 
#1 ·
I was looking at some 20ga loads in an older manual and saw a few I was interested in using HS-7 powder. I know it is no longer made but was wondering if there is a replacement or one that could be substituted for it (like clay dot is for clays)? Thanks for the input!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#6 ·
Might as well just go with Alliant powder now instead of going through the headache with hodgon and winchester.....you will get a powder you like and then it will be discontinued and hard to find anywhere.

#7 ·
Curly: Thanks so much! I will send you a PM with my email!

DuckManEvs: It makes no difference to me which powder I use. Do you know of any 11/8oz 20ga loads that use Alliant powders? I have not found any on their website or in their printed brochure/manual. I'd very open to using Alliant; they make great powders!

#8 ·
11-87 Shooter said:
Curly: Thanks so much! I will send you a PM with my email!

DuckManEvs: It makes no difference to me which powder I use. Do you know of any 11/8oz 20ga loads that use Alliant powders? I have not found any on their website or in their printed brochure/manual. I'd very open to using Alliant; they make great powders!
Data sent

#9 ·
Rich who has the HS-7 in stock and how much is it?

#12 ·
Ah, HS-7. It was my favorite powder for 20-gauge dove loads back in the day. Still have a flat or so, otherwise I'd be scrounging for the equivalent. My recipe was from Don Zutz via Shotgun Sports magazine:

Winchester 20-gauge CF hulls
Winchester 209 primer
24 grains HS-7
Winchester WAA20F1 wad
1 oz shot (I mostly used No. 9)

Velocity 1250fps.
Pressure 10500 lup.

Dan

#14 ·
HS-7 and W-W 571 are in fact the same powder and for some reason you seem to find it (571) fairly often at gun shows or on online reloading classified sites. I think people have it left over from the days of lead duck loads . It makes a great 1 1/2 ounce or 1 3/8 ounce 12 gauge lead loads and I also use for heavy 20 gauge loads. I have 3 1 lb cans on my powder shelf that I picked up for 10 to 15.00 a can at various sites. This is in Canada where the days of lead duck loads are not so far behind us,but I would bet there is still lots of it wasting away on some back shelves in the U.S. too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.