It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Dot "Promo" Powder?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:34 pm 
Crown Grade

I heard a rumor that there is a powder refered to as Red Dot "Promo" Powder.

It is supposed to be the same Red Dot we are familiar with but it lacks the red flakes added as a taggent (which identifies it as Red Dot").

I have never heard of this and I loaded Red Dot from 1970 until I switched to 700X in 1986.

Post subject: Re: Red Dot "Promo" Powder?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:59 pm 
Field Grade

Its a very real "rumor", there is 8 lbs. of it on my bench now. What it apparently is , is a combination of powders from commercial runs which is blended to preform like Red Dot. It should be loaded by weight, NOT volume and its density varies from lot to lot, but those are its only drawbacks as far as I am concerned.Its big plus is the price tag, a considerable savings over Red Dot.If you do a search on this thread you will find a lot more info on it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks for the info.

We have an opportunity to buy some through our club's target supplier. The price is attractive.

I am not personally interested in it but some of our members will likely be.

OldBob wrote:
It should be loaded by weight, NOT volume and its density varies from lot to lot, but those are its only drawbacks as far as I am concerned.

I will make sure to pass this on to them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:32 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Here is what Alliant says about Promo:

"Select a bushing 2 sizes smaller than the one recommended for the same number of grains of Red Dot ..."

"...weigh several charges on your powder scales ..."

"Compare the weighed charge to the recommended charge weight." (Kind of goes without saying, doesn't it.)

"Adjust the bushing size if necessary ..."

"Confirm your bushing size with each new powder lot."

Here are a few example loads using Promo:

Winchester AA hull
1 ounce shot
18 grs. Promo
WAA12SL (pink) or Claybuster CB 1100-12 (WAA12SL clone) wad
Winchester 209 primer
1200 fps

Remington STS-type hull
1 ounce shot
18 grs. Promo
Rem. TGT12 (green) or CB 1100-12 wad
Remington STS primer
1200 fps

Winchester AA hull
1-1/8 ounces shot
17 grs. Promo
Winchester WAA12 (white) wad
Winchester 209 primer
1145 fps

Same load with 18 grs. Promo for 1200 fps.

Remington STS-type hull
1-1/8 ounces shot
18 grs. Promo
Remington Figure 8 wad
Remington STS primer
1145 fps

Same load with 19 grs. Promo for 1200 fps

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:00 pm 
Crown Grade

OKShotgunner wrote:
Here is what Alliant says about Promo:

"Select a bushing 2 sizes smaller than the one recommended for the same number of grains of Red Dot ..."

"...weigh several charges on your powder scales ..."

"Compare the weighed charge to the recommended charge weight." (Kind of goes without saying, doesn't it.)

Thanks, this is good stuff to pass on to any of our members who might buy this powder.

I looked on the Aliant site for data Red Dot Promo without success, maybe I didn't look "close" enough; not the 1st time that's happened. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=17784

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:43 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

The data came from Alliant's 2004 Reloaders' Guide, page 30. However, it doesn't have pressures associated with the load data. I presume the pressures are approximately the same as similar Red Dot loads.

I doubt if the data is on their website because they don't seem to have a propellant selection of Promo. If you would like all of the loads Alliant listed in their guide, I can photostat the page as a jpg file and email it to you. Let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:05 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I shot up 16 pounds of the stuff last year. Pretty good powder. Kinda dirty,but shoots ok enough to break a 97 from handicap yardage at our state trap shoot. My load was 16.5 grains Promo,Green Duster wad,Noble Sports primer.1 oz of magnum 8's. I never did chrono the load,but it simply crushes targets if I do my part.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:17 am 
Crown Grade

OKShotgunner wrote:
If you would like all of the loads Alliant listed in their guide, I can photostat the page as a jpg file and email it to you. Let me know.

Thanks.

I am not personally interested in this powder but some of our "less technical" club members may be and might order it when we get our next load of targets. The supplier, who it the target manufacturer should likely have this data, if not I may be asking. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:41 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

It's not Red Dot Promo, just plain old Promo. It is just exactly like OK coppied from the Alliant booklet. That is just exactly how it works too. I like it, it shoots well, is just a bit more dense, so loads well in a touch smaller capacity hull like the new AAHS 12 ga hulls. I just bought another jug of it. Is it dirty?? I don't really know, I just load it up and shoot heck out of it. Only rocks I missed with it was my fault, not the powder. I use it for both 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads with any application you would want to use Red Dot in, except don't use a bushing you expect to use for Red Dot, I'm a couple sizes smaller with Promo. I shoot 18 1/2 gr of it in most anything I care to load be it 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads with any particular primer or wad I happen to have in any hull I have. If you do your homework you will find a recipe for Red Dot in every application I use and I'm at or under those charge weights in every case. Since I'm a relative newbie to Trap shooting, I've shot more 25 straights with Promo than all the other powders I've used for Trap loads combined. It is clean enough for me, and the price is right, and it is American made powder. Good enough for me!

BP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

I made this comment on the "Green Dot /Promo query and thought it might be worthwhile to post it here as well.
A good place for information on Promo powder is Alliant themselves! Paul from Alliant normally responds on this forum but I gather he's on the road. He commented last time in response to a question I had to call 800 276-9337 ask for Ben who'll be more than happy to bring you up to speed on Alliant powders. I recall he's a Olympic shooter too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:42 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Claydust;

I've been trying to figure out what the "less terchnical" members of your club are? It would seem to me that it may be a powder more suitable for the "more technical" members? Since it requires some "fitting" to your recipe. Some folks may not be capable of that! Expound a bit would you? It's been bothering me for days! :shock:

BP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:23 pm 
Burnt Powder wrote:
I've been trying to figure out what the "less terchnical" members of your club are?

These are a few "old phartes" that;

- do not go on forums like this
- do not travel anywhere else to shoot and therefore learn from others
- do not obtain and read technical publications on reloading
- only load and understand the one, same powder they have used since 1970
- the individuals that I TRIED to explain, last Sunday aft., the differences, described above, regarding the possible need for using different bushings with Promo (as described earlier) and checking the weights with a scale rather than just using automatically, the same bushing they used with Red Dot for the past few decades. And after the 3rd "run-by" I could tell they weren't "getting it

For lack of any better term (or wishing to be somewhat polite, because I could use other terms), I call these people "less technical". They can produce a safe load with their one powder (Red Dot), checking their weights with a scale but for some reason, cannot grasp the description of Promo Red Dot.

I do not begin to understand, nor can explain why people are like this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:26 pm 
Crown Grade

"Guest" above was me; this is what happens when someone else messes with your computer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

It kicks like a mule,and distroys clay :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:43 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Claydust;

Thanks, that's about what I thought, but as such I'd of figured them as NOT wanting anything to do with it rather than being interested in it? Did I miss something there?? I thought you said the "less Technical" would be?? Oh well, Moving right along.....

BP