It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will I ever get a MEC?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:36 pm 
Field Grade

So I started reloading about 6 months ago, I use to help my gpa do metallic reloading when I was a bit younger but never really caught my interest. I bought a Lee Load all just to see if I could get into reloading ( I know theyre trash, its not a real loader,blah blah the whole bit). I basically got into it to create my own turkey loads and crow hunting loads because that's about all I do. I've been on ebay and tried about 6 different MEC 600s and didn't win a single one. I've checked around craigslist for 2 months and used are almost as high as new, making $9 dollars an hour makes it awful difficult to spend $200 on a loader. Any suggestions? keep looking ebay and craigs and just be patient or scratch the idea and just load a few at a time for this upcoming turkey season. IM BUMMED!

Post subject: Re: Will I ever get a MEC?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Save yourself the headaches, and try to buy one off the EE exchange here (Other Classifieds Classifieds).

Also, before you buy it, ask someone like Curly to take a look at it so you know that your not getting into a problem child reloaded; being one that someone got cheap from an garage or estate sale that is worn out/broken, and just trying to make a quick buck selling it at the site here (low post count is sometime a way to tell if someone just signed up for an account to peddle worn goods).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Another source is your local gun club. If no one is selling one, advertise that you want to buy one. List what you are willing to pay. A lot of these reloaders are gathering dust in the far corner of a reloading room and owners are glad to get rid of them. And if it is local, you save shipping charges.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Also try www.trapshooters.com they're for sale from $80 to 100 all the time on there

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Well... if all you do is turkey and crow hunting, what are you complaining about?! If your LLA2 evers breaks, for 1/2 cost new, Lee will completely refurb your unit... beat the hell out of it.

I ran one for more than a year when I got started... made 1000s of shells. When I really got going, I jumped to a progressive.

At this point, focus on making more shells and save the dough and put it into more components...
Jay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:01 am 
Crown Grade

If that is all you load, I don't even know if it is worth trying to buy a new reloader. The Lee will work just fine for small scale stuff. Save the $80 and buy components.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:13 am 
Diamond Grade

IMHO, it's worth it even though the OP has already put $80 into his Lee and it will cost him another $80+ for a used MEC600JR. I agree there's no reason why this has to be done right away though. Continue using the Lee until enough is saved to go MEC shopping.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 am 
Field Grade

Thank you guys for the replies, I have been contacted by a very very gracious member who is going to help me out. I told him last night he will most certainly be on my Christmas card list! The main reason I want the MEC is quality with my shells and not "feeling" my way thru crimps and hassles of flipping over my LEE to remove powder or shot. I definitely want to keep my LEE and hopefully get into some slug reloading as that's all that legal for deer hunting here in Ohio. Again thanks guys.

meanwhile ill be reading the Lyman 5th edition front to back (again)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:53 am 
Field Grade

still lookin.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Good luck and be patient. Seems since spring has sprung reloaders have gone up in price. Hard to believe what people are asking for 600's since they are not too expensive here.

http://www.shydasoutdoorcenter.com/relo ... 78=loaders

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm kinda lookin' at it myself, but I'm not actually needing it, just wanting it. A club member here has a MEC Grabber in 12 ga for $175. I think he'd take a little less, but the total costs will depend on how far you are from this part of northern Oklahoma.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oldtechshooter
You have a PM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Connies components had about the best deal I found on new mecs, I bought a 9000 but it was about $100 cheaper than anybody else that had them in stock. If used ones are that close to new that may be a place to look at. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Major,

How the sam hill do I get my PMs. the "old" in my username means exactly that, and pretty puter illiterate to boot.

Edit to add: Had to be logged in to see PM option. You got PM now. I'll check on it.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:41 am 
Diamond Grade

I have bought four 600 jrs in the past 3 years, never paid more than $50 for one and all had the automatic primer dispenser on them which is a fifty dollar add on. Keep looking, check with the gun clubs, I got one that way, and the other three were off of Craig's list. None of mine had rusty parts on them and most came with extra small parts like powder bushings, bars, wad guides etc. Also check the garage sale ads in the newspaper, a lot of them turn up in garage sales, yard sales, & estate sales etc. Keep looking you will find one in decent condition.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:31 am 
Limited Edition

Save your money, Use the lee till you have saved enough to buy a Grabber. The lee work just as well as the 600. A dollar a day and some patients

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I think what you're seeing now (last couple months on Ebay) isn't very representative. The current environment has jacked up the prices and greatly increases the market.

An add at the local range might be much more productive. As stated above, a lot of these sitting in the corner and shooters helping another shooter engage the hobby is likely to forego the premium currently attached.

I pretty much hated my LA. But I did produce some loads with it just the same. Buckled a number in the process too.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Your best bet, as mentioned, is a local gun club - go to more than one and post a WTB ad on their bulletin boards

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

what gauge are you looking for?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:01 am 
Crown Grade

Keep looking. I sold 2 MEC 650 for $150 each. They are out there but they do go fast.