ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 gauge hull cut aways, Win "Universal", AA HS, CF; Rem
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

2014 Win Super X, 2014 Win Super Target, 2014 Win AA HS, 1995 Win AA Compression Formed, 1995 Remington CF

All win load the same. Hard to see, but the plastic sides are much thicker for the AA than for either the Super X or Super target, I put the side pieces there to see. When you flex them with your fingers you see how much stronger the AA hull is.

Post subject: Re: 20 gauge hull cut aways, Win "Universal", AA HS, CF; Rem
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Right, as far as getting a load to fit and the ballistics the dimensions are pretty much the same. But once you get up above the base wad the thickness of the walls in straight wall potion of the hull might vary. The same is true on 12 gauge AAHS vs Universals. If you are used to Remingtons and go to AAHS, you will find that getting the load to fit properly without simply squashing the wad is important, ignore this and you get buckled hulls. Go from AAHS to Universals and it gets even more important because it is even easier to buckle the thinner walls. They will all load (12 and 20 gauge) but the Remington is the most forgiving as far as loads that don't fit quite right, an AAHS is more challenging, and the Univerals are downright picky.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thx albatros. I'm also hoping the full support given to the shell by the full-length resizing die that holds the shell in the PW375 will reduce any case buckling tendencies.

But really plan on just loading lighter skeet loads for 20, should fit ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wouldn't expect the full resizing die in the 375 to solve the internal capacity problems of the AAHS. There is a limit to just how much "stuff" will fit into a 5 lb. bag. It likely will come out the top. Expect crimping problems.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

The issue I had with 20 gauge Universal hulls was the metal base. The base would stick in the Winchester pump gun upon firing and the extractor would tear the rim. That gun would do that to factory or reloaded Universals. On the other hand the Beretta O/U kicked them out without issue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

I haven't reloaded 20 gauge for many years so what's the best hulls to look for left on the ground at the club.
Back when, I only reloaded AA's. But with all the new Shell technology there must be more possibilities? Please update me on what's out there good to reload.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:27 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

leadshot wrote:
I haven't reloaded 20 gauge for many years so what's the best hulls to look for left on the ground at the club.
Back when, I only reloaded AA's. But with all the new Shell technology there must be more possibilities? Please update me on what's out there good to reload.
Thanks

Best 20 ga hull to reload is a no brainer. Remington all the way. The STS premium hull, and the Gun Clubs and the Shur-Shots, whether 6 fold or 8 fold crimps. THe Gun Clubs and the Shur-Shots use the same cases, which are the Rem.SP case, and is one piece.

The AA hull is second best, to the Rem's. It is a two piece hull, having a separate base wad. This case has a tad less capacity than the Rem's and wad selection is somewhat critical for re-loading these cases. Best results will come when using the RXP Rem wad, or the Windjammer blue wad, which take up slightly less room in the case.

The promotional Winchester Universal cases, also marked as Super-X in some loads are pure junk. Winchester recommends that you DO NOT reload these cases. They are intended as shoot once and throw away.

DLM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:06 am 
Presentation Grade

DLM,
Thanks for the info on the hulls. I'm going out Wednesday looking for hulls. Thanks again, big help. {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:43 am 
Crown Grade

D L Marcum wrote:
THe Gun Clubs and the Shur-Shots use the same cases, which are the Rem.SP case, and is one piece.

Beware of the Shur-Shots, they aren't always exactly the same as the Gun Clubs, and there are some of them floating around out there that are quite a bit longer than other hulls :

And they very quite a bit among themselves :

Failure to identify, and sort/weed out the long ones will result in nasty wad tear-thru's at the shot-drop station, and some nasty hulls should they make it thru without a wad tear-thru. As shown, the short ones crimp fine.

Since there's no easy way to identify the longer Shur-shots, I don't even mess with them anynore, I don't pick them up, and throw out any that I accidentally pick up. Gunclubs and STS's, yes, but Shur-shots get the big: No Way Jose.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FYI, here are some Winchester Super Speed (Universal) that I loaded up last night:

The load is 3/4oz Eagle 8.5, 15.0 Green Dot, CB1078-20, Win209, loaded on a MEC 600.

While these are not the best hulls out there, if that's all you can get in any quantity they are worth picking up and using. They are not particularly difficult to load and although I only use them once or twice at most, they will last longer if you need them to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

leadshot wrote:
Thanks
The Federal hulls are also very available and easy to load with quite a bit of data available. See the other thread in this forum on loading the Federals here: Reloading Federal 20 gauge hulls

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:42 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Cerberus,
Those Shur-Shot hulls come with both 6 and 8 fold crimps. The longer ones are primarily in the 6 fold crimps and seldom in the 8 folds.

Therefore it is prudent to pick up all Rem. hulls with the 8 fold crimp. I load them all the time without a hitch, and intermixed with Gun Clubs.

The 6 fold hulls will have the longer hulls intermixed within the same batches. However, about 2/3 of them are not over length. When these hulls are plentiful, it is worthwhile to cull out the long ones and use the rest. Sometimes these are the only GOOD hulls available as pick up hulls.

You can also save the long ones until you get a large batch of them. Say 500 or more. Then you can adjust the press for these hulls and load them very satisfactorily.

For some people, throwing away good quality hulls is really not the best program. Batching them according to length works fine.

DLM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

D L Marcum wrote:
Cerberus,
Those Shur-Shot hulls come with both 6 and 8 fold crimps. The longer ones are primarily in the 6 fold crimps and seldom in the 8... DLM

I think you meant to reply to Republicans post?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:12 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Cerberus wrote:
D L Marcum wrote:
Cerberus,
Those Shur-Shot hulls come with both 6 and 8 fold crimps. The longer ones are primarily in the 6 fold crimps and seldom in the 8... DLM

I think you meant to reply to Republicans post?

Yes indeed it was his post. Sorry about that. DLM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:35 pm 
Crown Grade

I would certainly agree that the Remington Gun Clubs and STS are the best, with AAHS at #2 (I have not tried Federal or Fio.) You do run into the same internal volume issues and wall bucking issues that you see on Remington vs AAHS in 12 gauge. But, the 20 AAHS seems to be a bit stiffer and slightly less prone to bucking than the 12's. One big difference between 12 and 20 seems to be availability. In 12 gauge it is not all that difficult to find piles of Gun Clubs but STS and Nitro Gold are not often in the trash. You can find AAHS but not as many as Gun Club. You go to 20 gauge and the hull that you seem to find most often is AAHS. I probably find more of these than any other 20 gauge hull, certainly way more than Gun Club. The AAHS does load well and hold up well, you just have to solve the fit issue- shorter wad or denser powder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wow :!: :!: All this great info. I'm going early to the gun club to pick up hulls. Finally I might get a jump on hulls I can reload that others don't know of :wink: :wink:
THANKS TO ALL FOR THE GREAT INFORMATION, AGAIN {hs#