ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pacific / Hornady-Tips and Tricks?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have read through the Tips and Tricks sections on the PW and MEC presses, and wonder when there will be a Tips and Tricks started on the Pacific shotshell presses that I collect and the Hornady 366 presses? Of course a lot of the adjustment techniques can be extracted from the other press section as well. But I would like to see a section on the Pacific Models: DL-120, DL-150, DL-260 and the DL-350 or their Bair made brothers.

Post subject: Re: Pacific / Hornady-Tips and Tricks?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

My only tip: never, ever try and load the four hundred and ten on the Hornady 366 or something like it.

NSSA Member #167754

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The best tip I can offer right now is: read the thread entitled "lubricating the Hornady 366:"

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=264005

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Best tip is: Do not try to rush it. It's not a slot machine. There are machines that you can force and load faster, but none better.

BP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you feel any sort of resistance that seems other than normal, stop, something is, or will become, AFU. Sometimes the swing out wad guide didn't swing in like it was supposed to and there is a FUBAR waiting to happen. Or the primer got cocked in the shell plate, a common occurrence, and you will need to back the plate up a bit by hand to uncock it. There is a lot of "feel" to this press that is transmitted through the handle and most with experience can tell by the particular feel just what it is that got screwed up. But a smooth stroke on the handle is the way to go.

But the major tip is: Keep your eye on the primer drop. If the primer fails to drop (like when you run out) and you don't see it, the next thing you will have is a powder spill. I had a slot milled in the bottom of my primer drop tube so I could see when the primers are getting low. I keep a few spare primers on the bench next to the reloader to insert by hand when the primer failed to drop, which happens occasionally.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:22 pm 
Crown Grade

I load 50 shells at a batch. That's what all my loading blocks hold. I put in 100 plus a few primers to start and once I get two loading blocks full I put in another box of primers. Keeping an eye on the primer drop is very, very good advise!

BP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

But the tube does not hold 100 primers, you have to refill the tube before you get to your 100.

Mine drops the finished shells through a hole in the top of my bench to a box underneath. My tubes (Jim Skeel specials) hold a about pound of powder and a bag of shot. I keep loading until the tubes are about empty. I only stop to replenish primers and wads.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:40 pm 
Crown Grade

No, they don't hold 100, but more than 50, like 70 something. I forgot to mention after the first 50 shells turn the knob and drop the rest in the tube. Do it again when you put in a new box of 100. That way I never have less than enough primers to finish a block of 50. After I fill my 5 blocks I box them and put them in a flat box. I like my shells boxed and after 250 it's time for a break anyway!

BP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Burnt Powder wrote:
No, they don't hold 100, but more than 50, like 70 something. I forgot to mention after the first 50 shells turn the knob and drop the rest in the tube. Do it again when you put in a new box of 100. That way I never have less than enough primers to finish a block of 50. After I fill my 5 blocks I box them and put them in a flat box. I like my shells boxed and after 250 it's time for a break anyway!

BP
Right on, brother!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:21 am 
Tournament Grade

The happiest day I had with my 366 was the day I sold it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:16 pm 
Crown Grade

To each his own. In fact I load 12 ga on an APEX most of the time. 20s on the 366 auto. My 12 ga 366 is manual advance. Sometimes I think it's better than the auto.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:20 pm 
Field Grade

Best tip is: Do not try to rush it. It's not a slot machine.

Haven't had my 366 but for a month or so but that would be my first tip. After several rounds you begin to develop a "feel" for the machine. Keep the pivot points and bushings lubed and the shell plate adjusted correctly and go at it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've loaded thousands upon thousands with my machine.
I usually load 400 to 600 at a time.
Once everything is set up properly, the press runs like clock work.
I keep the powder hopper above 1/3 at all times &, every 20 or 30 shells, I give the primer feed a few turns to keep the tube full.
To speed the process considerably, I now dump all the loaded shells into 5 lt buckets instead of packing them into the boxes.
Here are some pics of my machine with the front half of the guide removed.
This was the best mod I've done for the 366. The front half is where I get all the problems when I do have them which, is not that common. With this mod, you can remove the hulls directly at each station. I've loaded hundreds since the mod with, no problems.
You can turn the primer feed tube off by placing a good neodymium magnet against the feed tube. The magnet won't stick to the tube, only to the primers inside.
I use this during set-up &, at different times if needed.

http://s837.photobucket.com/user/sonofthurlo/slideshow/

Regards.......................SoT

Sydney J. Harris

Last edited by son of thurlo on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^Mate, you have an issue with the spring on your swing out wad guide. You need to insert the bottom end of the spring into the little hole in the top of the aluminum spacer. FYI.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

G'day nebs,
I placed the end of the spring there to get a little more return position tension.
The spring lost a little of it's tension causing the wad return to be a bit sloppy.
I suppose I could turn the whole block but, that's been working fine for a while now so, I'll leave it as is.

Regards....................SoT

Sydney J. Harris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^I adjust the spring tension by turning that aluminum block a quarter turn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I seem to be experiencing an increased frequency of "cocked' primers on my shell plate. I tried tightening the plate down a bit tighter but that has not alleviated the issue. Any suggestions on how to smooth that operation out?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nebs wrote:
I seem to be experiencing an increased frequency of "cocked' primers on my shell plate. I tried tightening the plate down a bit tighter but that has not alleviated the issue. Any suggestions on how to smooth that operation out?

G'day Nebs,
I have a couple things to try.
If you've not cleaned under the turn plate, I suggest starting with that. Powder & shot build up under there.
When you put it back on, I've found that adjusting the tension of the nyloc nut just right is important. I turn the nut down until there is the slightest vertical rocking movement in the turn plate. I use a liberal amount of gear oil under the plate for the detent & under the nut washer. It's a bit like adjusting a wheel bearing. It should turn freely but, with the minimum of vertical movement. You'll feel the plate start to lock up if you tighten down too far.

The next thing is the plate to station alignment which, is easily adjusted with the eccentric adjustment bearing at the bottom rear of the press.
Once you loosen the machine screw off, you'll see how that works. You'll have that adjusted in a jiffy. You'll notice how it adjusts the position of the turn plate pusher arm.
Maybe whack a little gear oil on that bearing while you're at it.
I haven't had to do anything else to fix this problem so, if these don't work, one of the other guys may know some trick.
Hope this helps.
Please get back with the results.

Regards....................SoT.

Sydney J. Harris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:46 pm 
Crown Grade

At least IMHO it is not that you can't rush it ever. There are parts of the cycle where speed is not a problem (as long as you are not slamming and banging.) But, as you are coming back up with the handle and get near the top of the stoke where the shell plate rotates you really better pay attention and take it easy. Slow and steady helps a lot. I find that with the typical 1 ounce wad there is a reasonable clearance between the wad and the wad ram as the wad guide swings in. When you go to 1 1/8 ounce wads and set the ram to get a bit of wad pressure, things get kind of tight. The wad does clear the ram but not by much. Slow and easy at this point can help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the replies. I routinely take the plate off and clean it up and lubricate there. I also take care with the tightening of the shell plate. And the advance is properly adjusted. I also use a very careful stroke on the handle, mainly to make sure the finished shell bumps off correctly. I'm going to take a closer look at the primer seating cup and make sure it is flush with the shell platen.