It is currently Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Titewad vs Clays
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is there any reason to use Clays instead of Titewad ,if both are available. I shoot target loads 3/4 oz to 1 1/8 oz. It appears to me that Titewad out performs Clays in that it takes less powder and at a lower price in all the above target loads. Am I not seeing something about Clays?
I load Remington hulls, Claybuster wads, and Winchester primers if that makes any difference.
I bought a few pounds of Clays and not sure if I should have. Your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Titewad vs Clays
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:57 pm 

I have shot a lot of powders and both of those that you mentioned. I can deduce no good reason to spend more money to get Clays over Titewad as Titewad is a great performer. Just be sure that you can get the performance that you want with 1 1/8 Oz loadings. From what I can see, Clays is no better with 1 1/8 oz loadings and not as good in the lighter loadings.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In addition to the differences you point out, Titewad is significantly denser than Clays. Because of the price difference and the lighter charge weights, the numbers favor Titewad. It would also give you flexibility to load AAHS hulls with the same wad you are using for the Rem hulls.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:55 pm 
Limited Edition

I have probably loaded over 100 lbs of Titewad for 1 oz loads and find that the DRA12 works the best in AAHS hulls and the TGT wad works the best in Remington hulls. Yeah the DRA will work in the Remington's but the stack height is just not as good.

Both are Downrange wads.

I like you question why anyone would want Clays when Titewad is available. Cheaper and more versatile is how I would describe Titewad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:12 am 
Field Grade

Because Clays is wonderful in .45 ACP too!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:21 am 
Crown Grade

If you are out of powder, and only Clays is available, you don't have much choice!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One exception: Clays has the bulk I need vs Titewad when using Euro hulls. Not enough bulk with Titewad to prevent interference with the hull's base wad and the wad's over powder cup. I believe Republican posted some pictures identifying the problem in another thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:40 am 
Crown Grade

For 1 ounce in AAHS I think Titewad is just about perfect: it will provide about any velocity you desire, burns very clean, meters very consistent, great stack height in AAHS, very cost effective.

For 1 1/8 in AAHS : all the above except you are limited to 1150-1200 FPS depending on the exact wad or primer.

Try either of these loads with Clays and you will be spending more and getting nothing in return. AND you will need to select a shorter wad to make it fit.

In Remington hulls I prefer something bulkier than Titewad. But, I tend to go with Promo. I shoot break open guns. I have never figured out what that extra $20-30 (Clays) a jug does for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

albatros wrote:
For 1 ounce in AAHS I think Titewad is just about perfect: it will provide about any velocity you desire, burns very clean, meters very consistent, great stack height in AAHS, very cost effective.

For 1 1/8 in AAHS : all the above except you are limited to 1150-1200 FPS depending on the exact wad or primer.

Try either of these loads with Clays and you will be spending more and getting nothing in return. AND you will need to select a shorter wad to make it fit.

In Remington hulls I prefer something bulkier than Titewad. But, I tend to go with Promo. I shoot break open guns. I have never figured out what that extra $20-30 (Clays) a jug does for me.
It does the same thing the extra $20-30 a jug one pays for Red Dot, it lightens your wallet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:26 am 
Crown Grade

But at least if I really want to lighten my wallet I have more choices: IMR Red AND Red Dot. If Hodgdon wanted to make IMR Primo and sell it for about $100 a jug, I'd become a big Hodgdon fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Using these dense powders in Rem hulls is like the opposite of using a bulky powder in the AAHS. You need to lengthen the stack height a bit to support the crimp and keep it from dishing. I use the TGT clone, a 1 oz. wad, when using Titegroup in Rem hulls with 9/8 oz. of shot; crimps are great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:40 am 
Diamond Grade

gogetthedogs wrote:
Because Clays is wonderful in .45 ACP too!

And Titewad can't be used in .45 Auto?

Of course it can.

For clarity, I use neither powder in my pistol loading, .45Auto, 9mmP, or .380acp.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

wrfish wrote:
Is there any reason to use Clays instead of Titewad ,if both are available.

Not that I can tell. Switched to Titewad when I couldn't get Clays and don't plan to switch back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I suppose if you get a deal on Clays that beats Titewad, it's all good.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use Clays in 12 gauge 7/8 oz. loads and would not use anything else unless it is impossible to get. It's clean, consistent, and shoots great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I also like Clays so well that I will not try switching to Titewad to hope it is as good and to save a couple of bucks. I got through the shortage with some Clay Dot and it was like burning coal compared to Clays.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:05 pm 
Crown Grade

So, you did not like Clay Dot as well as Clays, and because of that, you will not try Titewad? Well, okay. A lot of people have actually tried Titewad and were quite hapoy with it. You KNOW a powder you have not tried won't work- Wow!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Some of us do not have to constantly chase the Unicorn Of Newness albatros.

I have never bought a single pound of Titewad, or Claydot, or anything Vectan other than SP#2, and at this time, I have no intention of buying any of the above.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is probably cold in Nebraska.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:52 pm 

albatros wrote:
So, you did not like Clay Dot as well as Clays, and because of that, you will not try Titewad? Well, okay. A lot of people have actually tried Titewad and were quite happy with it. You KNOW a powder you have not tried won't work- Wow!

It was explained to me in this manner one time. Different scenario but yet the same regardless of circumstances.
"My mind is made up, and I refuse to be confused by the facts."

As long as you remember that, many things suddenly make more sense than ever before. :roll:

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain