ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading on an Excel Spreadsheet?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Does anyone have an Excel based spreadsheet made up to figure the costs of reloading your own rounds? I'd like to find one that I can use for shotgun, rifle and pistol...

Thanks, Jon.

Post subject: Re: Relaoding Excel Spreadsheet?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Don't know if this is what you're after but try http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalc.htm Shane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Jon;

Don't take this wrong, It's not intended to be derogatory, but what do you need a spread sheet for? Powder is 7000 gr per pound, it cost so much a pound, simple math? Wads are so much a bag, shot so much a bag of 25 pounds. Bullets are generally sold by the hundred. Again 7000 gr to a pound of powder. Primers are sold by the hundred or thousand. I've been figuring my costs of reloading since before computers were even a glint in the eyes of an engineer. But, I suppose I should get with it and throw away my pencil and double click Excell and write a cost program? I think someone has listed a link a while back for exactly what you asked for. Have you done a search on back topics to see? No, it probably doesn't pay if you have to buy a new press and figure your time worth anything and only shoot a couple thousand rounds a year. Now, if you are shooting 28 ga or .410? Different story!

BP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the help guys. I found a simple sheet and modified it a little. My buddy wanted a sheet to use so I figured I'd help him out by finding one or making one...

Here's what I came up with. Let me know what you think...

http://home.comcast.net/~kookala/ReloadingCost.xls

Right click on the link and do a "Save As"...

Jon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:21 am 
Presentation Grade

That's pretty cool, Jon, but you didn't figure any hull cost.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:32 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I use an Excel spreadsheet I cobbled together some while back. I didn't use any "fancy" Excel attributes such as paste special, but one of these days I'll make it a bit more sophisticated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's the one from trapshooters.com in which I made a few cosmetic changes and widened the entry boxes a tad:

SHOTSHELL RELOADING COST CALCULATOR

Everything you need is right there on one page and you can play what-ifs all day long.

It's written in JavaScript, so all you have to do to have it on your computer to use offline is save the page to a directory, then call it up locally in your browser.

It's designed specifically for shotshells and takes all the components into consideration. It'll even tell you the cost saving over store-bought shotshells.

What else could anyone ask for?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:24 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Case wrote:
What else could anyone ask for?

My own. :)

I use five sheets within one workbook for 12, 20, & 28 gauge and .410 bore plus a components cost sheet. A change in the components cost (e.g., shot) will automatically ripple across the other four sheets if applicable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:39 pm 
Crown Grade

You guys really get that carried away about what it costs to reload or what you save by reloading each and every time you buy components or pay another two bits for shot or something??? This looks for all the world to me like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist! :shock: Just LOOKING for something to make and Excel program for? Man, I can take my calculator and a pencil and scratch pad and get it done in about the same time it takes my computer to boot up! Who really cares??? :roll: I guess I should look closer to see if any of these programs have an entry for labor, how many shells per hour, Boxed or not, labled boxes or not, stacked in flats, stored in the barn, carried upstairs, in my Suburban. Opps, I'm getting carried away now! :oops: I guess if I was running a comercial loading business and running cost analasys from run to run this would be more important, especially the time to do the calculations?? To each his own! :wink:

BP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:54 pm 
Crown Grade

I have an eloctronic scale. I usually weigh 2 loads (both powder and shot) per 25-round box of shells to find out statistically how good my loading techniques are. Each 10 boxes I reload, I put these on a normal Excel program, and just run the statistics on it to find out if my loading procedures are reasonably accurate, the 3-sigma limits, etc..

Interesting - I have tightened up my reloading, and now produce much more uniform loads than I did when I first started tracking this information. I guess it did me some good!

BobK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Desert Pete, I'll work on adding a line for the hull but not tonight. I need some sleep.

Burnt Powder, I know the math is simple and easy to do but I also know less people who know the math or can actually do the math correctly. So, a simple sheet like this will show them how easy it really is and maybe even keep them interested in reloading by having the numbers in front of them. People can relate much better to things they can see and less to things they need to think about. I know that's a silly statement but it's true.

Jon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Burnt Powder wrote:
You guys really get that carried away about what it costs to reload or what you save by reloading each and every time you buy components or pay another two bits for shot or something???

Yes, but it's getting sillier and less meaningful by the week.

I've got such a quantity of hulls, wads and powder for which I paid different prices that any attempt at accurate accounting for actual reloading costs is rapidly becoming an exercise in futility -- not to mention a waste of time.

And when I leave Wanenmacher's Gun Show in Tulsa the first weekend this April, I'll have a lot more -- at widely varying prices.

So I'm about to adopt your philosophy.

Just buy everything as cheap as you can, load 'em up, shoot 'em and have fun.

And to hell with what each and every shell and box of shells cost.

Let's face it: The sport's a bit pricey, but it's cheaper than golf -- and makes a lot more sense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:19 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Burnt Powder wrote:
This looks for all the world to me like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist! :shock: Just LOOKING for something to make and Excel program for? Man, I can take my calculator and a pencil and scratch pad and get it done in about the same time it takes my computer to boot up! Who really cares??? :roll:

BP

Shucks BP, next to shooting the most enjoyment is programming a new spreadsheet. :wink: Besides my inventory and cost analysis sheet is simple, and I need one to keep the feds and state happy so that I will be the only one :? .

Now for real fun and enjoyment in programming, there is always my exterior ballistics spreadsheet. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:04 pm 
Crown Grade

OKShotgunner;

See there, you just went and admited it! You just want to play with your computer anyhow! :wink:

Case;

More sense than Golf?? Most anything makes more sense than golf, and I used to be a golfaholic, myself! :shock:

BP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I gotta side with Burnt Powder on this one. We're talking about a 5th grade math problem. How hard can that be?

Sample Problem: A case of 5000 wads costs $68. How much does ONE wad cost? Is there anyone reading this who can't figure out the anwer to that in about 10 seconds with a calculator? Why would anyone need a "spread sheet" for that? :? Or, for that matter, why would anyone need a calculator for that problem? It is a very simple division problem.

Gee folks, technology is great, but let's not forget how to do the basic things without a calculator or computer. Probably in a few years, our computers will "talk" to us and we won't even have to know how to read. Just turn it on and punch a few buttons with the proper markings on them and the computer will verbally tell us everything we want to know. :wink:

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:25 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Burnt Powder wrote:
OKShotgunner;

See there, you just went and admited it! You just want to play with your computer anyhow! :wink:

Case;

More sense than Golf?? Most anything makes more sense than golf, and I used to be a golfaholic, myself! :shock:

BP

ROTFLMAO!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

I've never been really good with acryonims. You being an old military man I suppose you are used to deciphering them, but you lost me there my friend! :? Hmmm! ROTFLMAO???? Give me a hint here. I want to call my life line! :wink:

BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:51 am 
Crown Grade

I just got it! :roll: Rolling on the floor.......

BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:04 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Burnt Powder wrote:
I just got it! :roll: Rolling on the floor.......

BP

You got it!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I was thinking having all the load data in an excel sheet would make it nice and easy to use filters to find a load to fit what components you have or want to use. There are 100's of combinations and using excel would be very nice. I noticed Copied data from the big powder Mfg wont past right in excel....