Shotgun Forum banner

MEC 9000G Variable powder drop

982 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ShowMe 
#1 ·
I know I've read about this on here, but my search isn't giving me anything. I have a few years old 9000G that gives me more variation in powder drops than I would like. I am trying for 16.5 gns of 700X, and I am getting 16.2 to 16.8. I am using the grey metal bushing with the rubber grommet and the brass washer. I don't suppose it matters, but I am using AAHS with Claybuster 1100-12 wads for one ounce of #8 and Federal 209A Primers. I have a red powder bushing but it gives worse results with the 700X. I don't get much powder leakage with the grommet and washer setup. I figure .2 is reasonable variation? I'm using an RCBS electronic scale, the one that comes with the Chargemaster dispenser, to weigh the drops. This much variation doesn't cause a problem in shooting, but I'm kind of fussy and would like less variation. Thanks Bill :?:

#2 ·
"red powder bushing" ??? Do you mean Pattern Control Powder Baffle?

Is your machine grounded?

Do you operate the handle with absolute consistency?

At the bottom of the stroke is the charge bar screw kissing the left edge of the slot of the screw slot?

Each promotes consistency in powder drops.

#3 ·
What's a " grey metal bushing ?"
Is your machine solidly and firmly mounted to the bench?
Do you use MEC's bottle support system?
Do you always take the handle back up to the top of the stroke and let it gently come to rest or does it bang to a stop at the top sometimes.

Steve

#4 ·
Since you are using the MEC grommet/brass washer lash-up with 700X, that's not a problem. 700X is known to not work well with a powder baffle, unless the internal baffle is removed, and the unit is used to control powder migration only.

Variations in powder drops are known to happen when the machine is operated in a herky jerky manner, instead of in a smooth, deliberate, non vibration creating, manner. This is very important to consistent powder drops. It's very important that the press be bolted to a very solid, sturdy bench that doesn't shake around and impart vibration to the press when the press is operated. Grounding the machine to a good earth ground is very helpful in bleeding off static electricity, which can affect powder drops.

It also very important that the charge bar travel is correct. The retaining screw in the front of the charge bar should just kiss off the left end of it's operating slot, when the handle is fully down, and returns fully right when the operating handle is raised.

Fix, correct, or otherwise establish these things and your powder drops should normally return to +/- 1 tenth grain.

DLM

#8 ·
duks said:
I know I've read about this on here, but my search isn't giving me anything. I have a few years old 9000G that gives me more variation in powder drops than I would like. I am trying for 16.5 gns of 700X, and I am getting 16.2 to 16.8.
That's fine. Forget about it and go reload.

Big flake powders have more variance.

A red plastic PC baffle won't help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.