Shotgun Forum banner

Herters 28 Ga hulls

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  spartacus38 
#1 ·
Hey was wondering if anyone has tried reloading these. Went dumpster diving at the range and found @ 200 clean in a trash can... What hulls are these ?? and does anybody have any luck with a certain Hodgdon recipe?? Look like nice high brass hulls... Any info would be appreciated...

#3 ·
There likely is a reason they were in the trash. Virtually any hull is reloadable. How well they reload and how many times they can be reloaded is another matter.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess.
I load a lot of 28s and have settled on AAHS and won't pick up any other hull. I have tried some others and they were not worth the hassle.

#4 ·
Hi,

I think Herters are Cheddite hulls. If they have stars on the base they are. Otherwise think Fiocchi. They will be straight wall Euro hulls in any case. You can peruse the Euro hull sub-forum above if you like. I like Euro hulls for hunting loads. I can generally get 3 to 5 reloads out of Euro Hulls before I have to toss them. So about half the life or less than AAHS hulls. I would have no shame in reloading all the free Euro hulls I could find. For what once fired 28ga hulls go for, I use every free hull I find.

Hodgdon will have recipes for both hulls with commonly used wads and Cheddite and Fio primers. I use Longshot for my 3/4oz lead 1200fps loads, (though I prefer to use AAHS hulls for target shooting). For me, Longshot is easily available locally and costs no more than any other Hodgdon powder.

Dalee

#5 ·
13 grains of Unique will safely reload just about any 28 ga hull. Had a bunch of Cheddites and could find no data. Called Alliant and was told to use Win 209 AAHS or Claybuster clone wad, and 3/4 oz of shot over 13 grains of Unique. Works perfectly and plenty of room for a nice crimp. Load them 2-3 times and toss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.