It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SL900 and CB0175 Wads
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:21 pm 
Field Grade

Hi, I just upgraded from a Mec to 8567 to a SL900. I knew going into it the press had a few flaws, but given my history with Dillon I felt comfortable in taking on the challenge. I have ironed all of the issues except one. When I use CB0175 wads I the wad would end up being pulled resulting in 3/4oz of shot deposited everywhere but in the wad/hull. The wad guide would also be pulled, and loose somewhere on the shell plate. I thought i was doing something wrong, but managed to re create the malfunction, and figured out the issue. It appears the bump on the inside of the shot cup is being lodged into the shot drop tube. Enough that it plugs the tube, and is retained during the down stroke. so when the shell plate indexes it knocks the wad free of the tube, knocking everything over. I took a picture of this malfunction mid stoke

I called dillon today, and they never heard of this issue. They asked if I would send a sample of the wads, which I did. I really would like to continue loading 3/4 loads on the sl900, but since this is the only wad I do not know how to approach this. I just purchased a case of these, and loading 5,000 more rounds on the mec wouldn't be my favorite option.

One thing I was thinking is possible using a tube with a smaller orifice. I have no idea is the drop tube for a 20ga on a SL900 is smaller. If anyone has any input on this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: SL900 and CB0175 Wads
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sorry you have 5000 wads in stock that need to be used. I have loaded many thousands of 3/4 oz loads using the DR XXL pink wad (also use the CB-0175) with no problem, although I do use a MEC 9000. You might want to give them a try since they don't have the bump in the bottom of the shot cup. Might take a little adjustment to get a good crimp but should be manageable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

I have loaded these on the a few hundred on the MEC with zero wad/shot tube issues. Ill look into the DR XXL Wads, thanks for the recommendation. Does the 3/4oz load fill the shot cup? What powder do you use? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

I own a Dillon, but honestly haven't ever had the time to get it running yet. I like my Grabber. It does a great job for me. I don't load AA, don't have good luck with them, and there just ain't very many of them laying around.

That said, I thought the conventional wisdom of these HS hulls (and I think that is what is in your pic) don't have the same room inside the hull as the CF AA hulls, and everyone and their dog recommends using the next larger size wad to affect a good crimp. You seem to be not having that issue, but instead, a shot dribbling issue because of using the CB1075 with that little nub in there. I'm just spit ballin' here, but I swear that's what I have read numerous times on this site and others. :o :o

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had the very same problem with my brand new RCBS progressive but using CB 3/4 oz wads for 20 ga also with the "nub" in the bottom of the shot cup. I removed the shot drop tube and reamed the opening until it would easily slide over the "nub" in the bottom of the shot cup. End of problem! Then I informed RCBS of this problem. They were already aware of the issue and recommend the exact same fix that I used.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:46 am 
Tournament Grade

^^^^^^
here's the solution to the problem if it can be performed to the SL900 drop tube without compromising it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:50 am 
Field Grade

Thanks Casonet, I will pull the tube and see what material I can work.

Hi StevenZ. I want to thank you and give you credit for getting me through several initial issues with the SL900. I have watched you videos and several of your posts and it has helped me immensely. Right out of the gate I was having case feed issues, and your tape solution for the funnel solved that. I called dillon to see if they had a more permanent solution and they said they never heard of that issue, which I found weird. Also, when i wanted to load 3/4oz loads, I took your advise on filling in the dish on the shot bar. I used SteelSick and sanded it down. It worked really well as material was somewhat softer than the bar itself, so with light pressure I could sand it to be perfectly flush with the bar. I also sanded the face to slightly expose the top and bottle lips so they could maintain the metal on metal contact with the housing.

After remembering a post your wrote about reducing shot spillage by reducing the travel I though it may help my issue as well. I speculated that possible a full stroke was causing excessive pressure on the wad. I adjusted the housing adjustment screw to not go the entire distance, and it seems to have helped for the limited run of 200 rounds I just did. I did notice one thing, When i hold down on the lever to slow the travel I get some what inconsistent travel, including some spring like travel at the end of the travel. Could this be attributed to the legs of the wad compressing and or the bump in the wad slipping over the shot drop tube?

Sorry if this is riddled with grammatical errors and ramblings, But my 2 year old twin have been fighting me for my phone as I type this.

I

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:01 am 
Presentation Grade

LKaler wrote:
I have loaded these on the a few hundred on the MEC with zero wad/shot tube issues. Ill look into the DR XXL Wads, thanks for the recommendation. Does the 3/4oz load fill the shot cup? What powder do you use? Thanks

3/4 oz fills the shot cup just to the top. This is a picture of 3/4 oz (hand weighed) of #9 in an XXL pink:
The shot was just poured in with no compaction due to crimping. My experience has been that I might get a little rattle in the finished shells but nothing to worry about. If one were to load 7/8 oz (or especially 1 oz) in these wads there would definitely be shot above the cup. I don't believe it would be a problem, though. With 7/8 oz, setback would probably shove most, if not all, of the shot back into the cup. With 1 oz there would probably be a bit of shot scrubbing on the interior of the barrel but nothing to worry about.

As to powder, I have used Vectan A24 with very good results. It's a fast burning powder with quite low density so there are no stack height issues. The biggest problem with A24 is a limited amount of published load data. If you want to load the XXL, you will have to go off-book. If you plan to go forward with this combo, it might be worth sending some shells off for pressure testing. I suspect that ExtraLite would work fine too (with the advantage of more load data) but I haven't tried it. Mostly I use a powder that is no longer available (Rex 0) because I have it and it is in the same general category as A24 and Extralite.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Pickman. I appreciate you taking your time to do that for me. I'll look into working up a load using that was and a fluffy powder.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've been using those wads since they came out with my Dillon and have never had that problem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

LKaler wrote:
Sorry if this is riddled with grammatical errors and ramblings, But my 2 year old twin have been fighting me for my phone as I type this.

I

That's OK, I'm a software engineer and we're not exactly known for our grammar or spelling skills :-)

With regard to the shot spillage, yes you don't want the shot bar to travel full distance as there is a little ledge on the top of the bar at full travel where a stray pellet or three can sit. Some guys have filed a bit of a bevel on the lip of the shot bar to prevent pellets from "hiding" there.

If you are getting inconsistent travel, it very we'll could be the bump at the bottom of the CB-0175 was that is causing that. Regarding the 3/4oz loads, I played around with them for a bit and did reload them on my SL900 (didn't experience the "wad grab" problem you are experiencing) but found it was a bit of a PITA to switch back and forth between 7/8oz and 3/4oz (which is what I was loading for skeet) and settled on 7/8oz for everything. It's just easier that way. Dialing in for 3/4oz required adjusting the shotbar. (For 3/4oz) and the wad height adjustment for the higher wad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 pm 
Field Grade

I reloaded another 250rds through the press. It appears reducing the the shot bar travel distance did the trick. I speculate that even with adjusting the bar travel per Dillion's instruction, some of the wads were so irregular in the bump area that it was bottoming out and pressing the bump up into the drop tube. The extra 1/8" of reduction of travel must be enough to cope with the irregularities. Thanks again everyone who helped me with this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:20 pm 
Field Grade

Ok, a little update. Dillion has a new 12/20 shot drop tube and a "liner" on the way. It sounds like it should reduce the ID of the drop tube. After loading another flat, the wad sticking issues have come back even after the travel adjustments, so I hope the sleeve remedies the issues. I will update again once I receive the liner.

On another note, StevenZ. Do you ever have issues with the primer arm not traveling the full distance under the hull? I am using cheddite primers for me 3/oz loads, and once every 25 or so it will not make it under the hull. If I pull the handle slightly to let the punch fully recess and jiggle the hull, it's slides right under it. Dillon had no solution, and I am guessing it is probably just slightly out of spec primers. If anyone would know, it would be you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 am 
Tournament Grade

Three things you want to look out for. 1) Make sure there is some clearance between the face of the primer drop tube and the transfer arm. 2) Make sure there is nothing "hiding" way in the back of the recess that the transfer arm wants to slide into. I once had a primer hide way back in there and would infrequently impede the travel of the arm. 3) If the top of the transfer arm is getting buggered up, it could be interfering with its travel. If it is, try replacing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:49 am 
Field Grade

Thanks again, you are even more helpful than Dillion's tech guys. You have been a great resource for me. I suspect a lot of their tech employees deal with hundreds of metallic press questions for every one of sl900 issues.

Do you have a optimal amount of flare for the powder station? I have it set up so if I put a small amount of pressure on the return lever it just travels the full distance when completing the stroke. I assume too little flare would lead to wad seating issues, and too much would lead to poor crimps.

Also, on my mec the crimp starter depth had a large impact of the amount material put into the crimp. Too much and it would swirl, too little and there would be a hole. After talking to Dillon, they said on the sl900 it has little to no impact, and that the final station is only contributing factor. I find that a little hard to believe. Do you have any insight on this?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

LKaler wrote:

Do you have a optimal amount of flare for the powder station? I have it set up so if I put a small amount of pressure on the return lever it just travels the full distance when completing the stroke. I assume too little flare would lead to wad seating issues, and too much would lead to poor crimps.

Also, on my mec the crimp starter depth had a large impact of the amount material put into the crimp. Too much and it would swirl, too little and there would be a hole. After talking to Dillon, they said on the sl900 it has little to no impact, and that the final station is only contributing factor. I find that a little hard to believe. Do you have any insight on this?

Thanks again

Yeah..the amount of flare at the powder station is just that...too little and the wad catches the mouth of the hull at station 3...to much and you literally "iron out" the folds and create crappy crimps. I try to go for the "just enough to not have issues at station 3" approach.

You are correct (and Dillon is wrong) that the pre-crimp at station 4 has everything to do with how tight the final crimp is. If you over pre-crimp the hull at station 4, you will get swirl...if you under crimp it, you'll get a hole in the final crimp. I try to go for about 1/4" opening at the precrimp station (thats what Dillon recommends and it seems to work).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:08 pm 
Field Grade

Just wanted to update in case someone else is having this issue. Dillon sent me a 28ga sot drop tube. It worked like a charm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:02 am 
Crown Grade

I had similar on 20g Mec 9000 and 3/4 oz wads with the bump. The rammer tube would get plugged by the bump and lift the wad.

I countersunk the end of the rammer tube and problem went away.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=455164&p=3733519#p3733519

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601