It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hornady 366 automatic primer shut off part
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:39 pm 
Field Grade

I moved a couple of years ago and I'm just now unpacking and reassembling my Hornady 366 progressive shotshell loader. I have the optional automatic primer shut off and I seem to have lost the "clip assy". I have the instruction sheet that came with the shut off and it shows a three part clip assembly that has an X drawn through it and a note stating that these parts have been "Replaced with part #398208". So, it seems that one part replaced three. No picture or illustration of this part was supplied.

Regardless, I'm missing part 309208, and I can't even recall what it looks like. I guess I could just rifle all the appropriate small parts drawers at the hardware store, but I'd appreciate a picture of said part if someone could post one.

Thanks,
Quattro

Post subject: Re: Hornady 366 automatic primer shut off part
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Look on line at Hornady see if they show that in the parts list.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

While I don't have the optional primer shut off for my 366s, I do not believe that part is "automatic." I think it's manual. And it does not show up on the 366 exploded diagram. It's a separate part. I think you should be OK to use your 366 without the "clip assembly" because I think all it does is shut off the primers. I had a slot milled into the primer drop tube above the plastic "foot" so I can see when the primers are getting low. I have a couple of pins next to my loader and whenever I need to stop the primers, I shove one pin up the bottom of the tube, which pushes the primers up, then I stick another through the slot preventing them from coming back down.

PS: Call Hornady and ask for Laurie (Lori?) and tell her what part you are looking for. She's their 366 parts guru.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:41 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the replies.

Hornady doesn't have the parts list for this optional assembly on line. In fact, they have about zero information on line about the apparently discontinued 366 (although a few vendors have some new ones left in stock). I have the factory manual for the 366 and it doesn't show the automatic primer shut off in the parts section.

Since I own and have used the automatic shut off I realize it's not quite automatic. However, I have found it to be quite a convenience and it works quite well, provided you don't lose some parts :? I read about all the home brewed alternatives before I purchased it, and for me it's been worth the money.

So, anyone have a picture of the mystery part? I have emailed Hornady, so we'll see how that plays out.

Bill Houston

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is a pic of the unit available on the Midway website. Might give you a clue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:00 am 
Field Grade

Thanks, but the Midway picture shows the unit with the superseded clip assembly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:57 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I just use a paper clip that has been straightened out on one leg-or- a fired primer inserted in the plastic foot up side down.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:50 pm 
Field Grade

Great folks that they are, Hornady shipped me the part at no charge.

I'd post a picture but I'm too retarded to figure out how to do it on this site.

It's kind of a figure 8 shaped wire spring clip, with an opening at the top of the 8 to slip into the groove in the primer tube assembly.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Quattro