It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I loaded Remington Clay & Field 20s
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:02 am 
Crown Grade

I loaded 100 of the new Remington Clay & Fields. They loaded fine.

They don't load exactly like STS20s. They took more effort at the crimp station. That could probably be mitigated with a tweak of the MEC crimper cam or final crimp station.

The new Remington Clay & Fields didn't stick in my Briley tubes and the loaded ammo dropped right in my tubes without resizing. Nice for me since I load 20s on a MEC 650. I hope the reloaded ammo performs the same.

I was loading a 3/4 ounce load with the green Claybuster 3/4 ounce wads but I tried a few using the Claybuster clone of the AA20 wad. That worked. It doesn't work with the STS20 hulls. I probably should have tried a few 7/8 loads with various wads. Maybe I will on the next loading.

Dunno about durability. If it is anything close to decent I'll take the offer I have to sell my STS20 hulls.

Post subject: Re: I loaded Remington Clay & Field 20s
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:25 am 
Diamond Grade

Reload some C&F and Gun Club hulls side by side; I think you will find them pretty similar. The C&F may be a little more durable, but I've been satisfied with both.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

A friend gave me 1K of the C&F 20ga hulls so I tried a test, reloading one box of 25 and tracking durability (3/4oz load at @1150). I lost the first hull to a split in the crimp area on reload #8, another on #9, then had three on #10. On #11, over half were no longer usable and the rest were suspect for another try so I gave up. I'll settle for an average of ten reloads on them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:16 am 
Utility Grade

mwr01 wrote:
Reload some C&F and Gun Club hulls side by side; I think you will find them pretty similar. The C&F may be a little more durable, but I've been satisfied with both.

So I just got a bag full of the C&F from a guy at the club. Box says "Reloadable Sport Loads" so I was excited as my STS stock is starting to waning. I don't see any load data in my manuals or online for this. I did Not want to assume these were interchangeable with the STS/Nitro/GC loads. Can you confirm I would use that same recipe?

Edit: I just found this online:

"Yes, they are interchangeable. The Remington Rep at the Grand said they fell between the STS and Gun Clubs as far as components, shot antimony and such."

"The ACF hulls are identical in volume to STS, GC, GL from Remington. STS has brass head, ACF is brass-plated steel, GC is nickel-zinc-plated steel. ALL Three have a BRASS primer cup, so are easy on firing pins. Battery cups are steel. Shot hardness is:
STS - 6%
ACF - 4%
GC - 2%"

Looks like I'm in business! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just loaded up 1000 or so 12ga ACF. My normal load was Rem GC. Crimp depth went from 0.055" on the GC to about 0.040" on the ACF, measured over 20 shells or so. So I think they are a bit shorter in general. I had to lower my center punch 1 turn or so, and I lowered the precrimp a turn or so to get rid of a pinhole center that generated. Perfect crimps with those two tweaks from 12ga GC.

On 20ga ACF, I also found I needed to tweak the center punch just a bit from 20ga Rem GC.
I like them both, and have been "color coding" my loads using GC for one or ACF for the optional one. 7/8oz and 3/4oz in 12ga; and 3/4oz either 1300fps or 1100 fps in 20ga (one for kids/wife/O-U, the other for semi-autos).