It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time For Another Odd Question, Apologies In Advance
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:05 am 
Field Grade

How would I go about waterproofing shotgun shells. An idea I had was to use a silicon powder friendly grease(if one exist) on the base of the wad. I have seen folks seal them with hot wax, but I don't completely trust that. The reason I asked is because I found a bucket(not mine) of shotgun shells. It was in the rain, before I moved it. This is just for general what-if purposes.

Post subject: Re: Time For Another Odd Question, Apologies In Advance
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:19 am 
Crown Grade

if this is for wildfowling use the zip n seal bags.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:22 am 
Diamond Grade

jimkim wrote:
How would I go about waterproofing shotgun shells. An idea I had was to use a silicon powder friendly grease(if one exist) on the base of the wad. I have seen folks seal them with hot wax, but I don't completely trust that. The reason I asked is because I found a bucket(not mine) of shotgun shells. It was in the rain, before I moved it. This is just for general what-if purposes.

Quick easy answer is don't leave your shells in a bucket in the rain. If the innards don't get wet, the dang thing is likely to rust soon anyway, most bases being steel and all.

Other than that, the baggies work great, but even then, a baggie full of shells in the bottom of a rain filled bucket full of water is prolly gonna be baggies full of water wet shells when you find them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:44 am 
Field Grade

I keep mine in a small arms ammo box. The RIO, Federal, and Wolf hulls are rusting. The Winchester hulls seem to be fine. On the plus side, most of them are loaded with #8 shot. The others are #9. So, I will be harvesting a few pounds of shot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Any silicone based sealant will work. Loctite makes a blue silicone sealant that works perfectly and does not raise chamber pressure. You simply squeeze a little into the finished crimp and smooth it out with your finger.

Just remember to buy silicone based sealant NOT adhesive.

There are a few different primer sealers that work great for this application. Hornady sells One Shot Primer Sealer.

The best parts about both methods are, you apply them after finishing the shell and the hull is still reloadable after firing and these methods work.

aka Mr. Tactful

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Plus 1 on what Dogchaser37 said. This method works and works well. Primer sealers have been around for ages, and we used to seal the crimps with paraffin wax. However the silicone sealers now available are a better deal all around.

I would strongly recommend that Waterfoul reloads use nothing but hulls with brass case heads, meaning AA's, Rem STS or Nitro 27's, or Federal Gold Medals. This solves or minimizes the case head rust problem.

DLM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:46 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you. That's what I was wanting to know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 am 
Presentation Grade

Silicone bath caulk works great on the crimp and steal some of the wife's nail polish for the primer. As for steel bases, a light shot of spray lacquer works great to prevent rust and seal the primer. I only do this for hunting loads.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:05 am 
Field Grade

dutch7373 wrote:
Silicone bath caulk works great on the crimp and steal some of the wife's nail polish for the primer. As for steel bases, a light shot of spray lacquer works great to prevent rust and seal the primer. I only do this for hunting loads.

I wish we could "like" posts. Was thinking about using polyurethane or something similar, on the bases.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:11 am 
Presentation Grade

jimkim wrote:
dutch7373 wrote:

I wish we could "like" posts. Was thinking about using polyurethane or something similar, on the bases.

Lacquer is thinner than urethane. Works great