It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wad Question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:32 pm 
Field Grade

I am wondering if it's safe to load 11/8 loads with a 1.0 wad. I mistakenly loaded a few and noticed a excellant crimp, so I thought if safe I might give them a try. I would appreciate your feedback.

Lou

Post subject: Re: Wad Question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:37 pm 
Crown Grade

All you may lose is some shot protection from the shot that sticks out past the petals scrubbing the barrel.

Lead does no harm at this,, steel is a super big no-no.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

Will that affect shot pattern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

A few deformed pellets might equal that golden bb that chips a target :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:57 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Deformed pellets usually become flyers, out of the pattern. This does nothing to enhance your patterns, but usually doesn't affect it enough to really make a difference.

As far as safety or pressures, it won't make any significant difference, if any at all.

For obvious reasons, it's best to use the correct wad, but in your case, you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

DLM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:47 am 
Presentation Grade

If you look at wad specs, you'll see that there are numerous wads that don't have ANY cup, and all the shot sits "above the petals"; indeed, that is how most shells were made before plastic wad cups, and it was safe then and now. The "brush wad" is just a base that all the shot sits on top of and scrubs the barrel.

Also, you'll see that most wads have a range of loads they are listed as being good for-- obviously if there are 3 payloads, not all shot will sit right at the top, likely some will sit over the wad and some below the lip.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:24 am 
Crown Grade

As long as it is the same type wad, if it fits, it's fine. I use a lot of CB AA clones (CB1100, 1118, 1114) and I pick the one that gives the best stack height and crimp. With AAHS hulls and bulkiy powder that often means 1114 for 1 1/8 and 1118 for 1 ounce. And, with Remington hulls and dense powder it can mean 1100 for 1 1/8 ounce. I have discussed this approach with Alliant, Hodgdon, Clay Buster, and Down Range (with their AA clones of course) and they all have no problem with it.