It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ponsness Warren 375
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:36 pm 
Field Grade

I just purchased a used PW 375 20ga. the first thing I tried was running a Federal hull through it, I never got past the sizing die the hull wouldn't go all the way in, do I need different sizing dies for different shells?

Post subject: Re: Ponsness Warren 375
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Not that I am aware of. My 12 ga (375) resizes every kind of hull I put in it. Something must be up. It won't go in all the way to resize the brass? The hulls sticks, gets half way in, or what? Just curious. Grade6man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've always had to put some steel wool on a brass cleaning brush, and stuff it up there in the die on a drill. Polish the die. On EVERY used die I've ever bought, or they stick. I've got 8 or 9 dies for PW375, only bought one new for 3" 20ga Fed hulls.

Then when I'm loading, I sometimes will wipe my finger around up there with a bit of thin lithium grease or similar, that Super Web grease sometimes, if I get some hull sticking.

Oh, and sometimes I need to carefully guide the metal hull head up into the die-- if they've been shot in a large chamber, the edge of the metal head can catch on the bottom of the die instead of going up in there, and get crushed on one side.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Are they brass based shells or brass coated steel based shells,you are trying to insert?If steel based ,they might need to be resized first?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

The seating post is adjustable. Loosen the set screw and lift it out. There's a machine screw with a locking nut that sets the height. Rotate the shell carrier away from the first station and push the handle all the way forward. Is the shell seating post slightly above the level of the plate?

Is it possible that since this is a used machine the shell holder is corroded or so full of crud that the shell won't seat all the way?

I've loaded 100,000 shells or more in all 4 gauges on my 375, they are a wonderful machine and can handle any reloading task.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:40 am 
Presentation Grade

bronicadave wrote:
The seating post is adjustable. Loosen the set screw and lift it out. There's a machine screw with a locking nut that sets the height. Rotate the shell carrier away from the first station and push the handle all the way forward. Is the shell seating post slightly above the level of the plate?

Good point dave, I forgot that the seating post may be set too low for him, and thus never drive the hull all the way up into the die. We really need more info from the OP on exactly what is happening I guess ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:09 pm 
Field Grade

I just called PW about this problem, they asked me if I was using shells with steel bases, I replied yes, they told me I should be using hulls with brass bases. The fix is send in my sizing die and several cases I am planning on using and they will open it up but....then I won't be able to load hulls with brass bases. Oh well now I know why MEC is so popular.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

pahoghunter wrote:
....then I won't be able to load hulls with brass bases. Oh well now I know why MEC is so popular.

You could always look into buying a MEC SuperSizer. Same collet type resizer in a stand alone unit.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

pahoghunter wrote:
....then I won't be able to load hulls with brass bases. Oh well now I know why MEC is so popular.

You could always look into buying a MEC SuperSizer. Same collet type resizer in a stand alone unit.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Is it stopping hard and fast or a bit squishy? Hard and fast is likely the travel stop. Many folks have loaded steel based hulls on the 375. Try a little sizing lube if necessary.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I never had any issues with steel base or brass in my 1970's vintage PW 375. It is a great machine.

Like others stated, check your seating adjustment and make sure that your machine is setup correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Get some rubbing compound. Put it in a 10 gauge cleaning swab, chuck it in a drill and get after the sizing die. You will slowly but surely open up the die. Just don't go too far.

"It's Obama's fault!!!!! " Beau Ouville Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:56 am

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:17 am 
Presentation Grade

Why ruin your die? I supersize all my hull. Does not matter what base, and gun chamber the hull has been through. Less stress on the press and you. Less vibration and more consistent powder drops. 10Tenner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:17 am 
Presentation Grade

Why ruin your die? I supersize all my hulls. Does not matter what base, and gun chamber the hull has been through. Less stress on the press and you. Less vibration and more consistent powder drops. 10Tenner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 pm 
Crown Grade

3crosses wrote:
Get some rubbing compound. Put it in a 10 gauge cleaning swab, chuck it in a drill and get after the sizing die. You will slowly but surely open up the die. Just don't go too far.

Rubbing compound isn't gonna do squat to tough (hardened ?)steel. Lapping compound would. I really don't think this is required though.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:45 am 
Field Grade

I have never had any problem with brass OR steel hulls in my 375,s....and I have 4 of them ! 2 very old ones, and 2 modern ones. It,s either a badly set up seating post, or the previous owner has allowed corrosion to build up in the die! MEC are popular because they are cheaper!