It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Federal top gun 20 ga
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:38 am 
Tournament Grade

Another vote for the SG 20M. It’s my go to, do everything wad.
I use it for 3/4 in Gun Clubs, 7/8 in Top Guns and 1 oz in Rio’s.
The oval crush section is very forgiving. I have been struggling to finish off 8lbs of 800-X, so I can’t speak to using Universal. When I finish with the 800-X I have Universal on the shelf waiting. I don’t have a bushing chart handy to compare densities, so I’ll leave that for you.
GS

Post subject: Re: Federal top gun 20 ga
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Good Evening,

I often shoot 20 gauge Fed Top Gun hulls with a variety of recipes. All are prone to dishing with my machine set up as it is.

I solve this problem by using overshot cards. A $5.00 5/8" hole punch from a craft store and an empty Pop Tart box and I have a ready supply of overshot cards that solve the problem in two ways.
1. The overshot card adds a bit to the stack height and provides a nice flat surface on which the crimp is formed.
2. If that doesn't work and there is still a dished crimp with a hole in the middle, so what? The shot won't leak out and as long you aren't entering the shells in a beauty contest they will work just fine.

I have my machine (Mec 600 jr) set up for Rem GC's. When I load other hulls I leave the machine set as is and use overshot cards as needed. Others may wish to set and reset their machine for different hulls or only load one type and not worry about it.

There are a lot ways to skin this cat and I just wanted to make you aware of an option that works for me.

Good Luck.

Dan