It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Primer seating issues
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey all. I've got an old, but new out of the box 28g MEC grabber.

I noticed, that out of 10 hulls, 3 of them will not have the primer fully seated (therefore not allowing advancement ). The primers can stick out ad far as .03" I've gone as far as advancing the powder tube as far as possible, in order to get more seating pressure.
I've tried a combination of depriming and repriming. Also reusing thr same primer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There's no patterning the culprit.

I'm using WIN AAHS hulls with Cheditte primers. Most hulls have about 3 rounds through them. I'm at a loss.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Primer seating issues
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 am 
Crown Grade

You don't mention the hull brand. If they are Remington hulls, they are a particular lot with excessive plastic. The easy fix for this is to run a hand-held No. 1 drill bit in and out of the primer pocket to remove the excess plastic. (The alternative is to use expensive Remington primers.)

If they are not Remington hulls, I don't have a suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:42 am 

Hulls are WWAAHS, stated in first post.
If the powder drop tube was lowered, did it remain in that position after trying to seat a few primers? It is not unusual for them to slip. That clamp screw needs to be danged tight.
then there is this,
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=286112

Cheddites do run a slight bit larger but most can seat them with no issue.
Try some WW primers to see if that improves things.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a similar issue with Remington hulls and Winchester primers. On my machine, a Grabber with hundreds of thousand of loads on it, when I feel the hang when I try to advance the shell plate I simply take a finger on my right hand and lightly press the top of the problem hull slightly to the left while advancing the shell plate with my right hand. By the time the loaded shell makes it around there has been enough down force to fully seat the primer. Only a problem on less than 10% of once fired hulls, second loading no problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Curly-Nohair wrote:
If the powder drop tube was lowered, did it remain in that position after trying to seat a few primers? It is not unusual for them to slip. That clamp screw needs to be danged tight.
then there is this,

Curly,

In the referenced thread there's a comment about setting the reprime tube in 'the big MEC9000 thread'. I'm not sure what thread this referred to. I went back thru most of the sticky that starts with cleaning and lubing the collet but couldn't find anything about setting the reprime tube OR the rammer tube.

Did I miss it there or is it in another thread? ...both for the reprime tube and the rammer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:45 pm 

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Curly-Nohair wrote:
then there is this,

Curly,

In the referenced thread there's a comment about setting the reprime tube in 'the big MEC9000 thread'. I'm not sure what thread this referred to. I went back thru most of the sticky that starts with cleaning and lubing the collet but couldn't find anything about setting the reprime tube OR the rammer tube.

Did I miss it there or is it in another thread? ...both for the reprime tube and the rammer.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=194368

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=187242

I have compiled nothing else on this topic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Sorry for missing the hull info. As an 83 year old guy, I sometimes miss things. (Also, my memory is damn good, but awfully short these days).

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Curly.
In the second link you have some pix showing a 5/16 gap at the reprime tube clamp for AA's and a 7/32 gap for Remi's. Are these settings for 12 ga or for 20 also?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Curly-Nohair wrote:
then there is this,

I have the ram rod set to 3/8" space. I thought it would assure extra pressure for seating.
I'm going to check and see if perhaps the rod is kinked or misaligned. I deprimed the problem hull, and reprimed it without issues.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:43 pm 

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Thanks Curly.
In the second link you have some pix showing a 5/16 gap at the reprime tube clamp for AA's and a 7/32 gap for Remi's. Are these settings for 12 ga or for 20 also?

These are specific to the !2's but probably will work fine for everything.
The MEC value of 3/16 is unsuitable and unreliable for consistent bar locking and unlocking, especially if you are mixing hull brands and types without verifying that setting for each hull.
Anything greater than the distance quoted can adversely affect the proper sequencing of the bar locking/unlocking operation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I set the gap on the clamp at 5/16 on all gauges. This works best, regardless of gauge. I pay no attention to which hull I use for the setting, but usually it is a Remington.

I recommend the Double Clamp modification whenever possible. It costs very little and permanently stops the drop tube from slipping.

You can sand the area on the drop tube with fairly large grit sandpaper, roughing it a bit where the clamp goes. This will usually keep the drop tube from slipping easily also. Be sure the tube and clamp are completely free of any oil or grease.

DLM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:25 am 
Crown Grade

Where the clamp needs to be MIGHT vary on different gauges with different base wad thicknesses. But the primers themselves are all the same. Cheddites should seat in an AAHS. If the tube raises up enough to produce a certain gap that does tell you how much force is being applied. Three eights raise should be enough oresdure to seat a Fiocchi , does in mine, sure should seat a Cheddite. Unless, the spring is weak. He did say old press.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Both my 9000 series reloaders (12 & 16) are set to 5/16" and primer seating as well as proper bar lock/unlock work perfectly.

The only exception has been a few lots of Remington Gun Club hulls that needed a bit more pressure to seat the primers, the bar lock feature was unaffected.

aka Mr. Tactful

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm still looking into it, and will let you know of my findings.

However, help me understand this talk of powder tube slippage.
The only time I had this, is when I had the tube set so low, and the screw clamped so hard, that after I pressed the ram, the spring let go, and the tube jumped out of position.

I'll also assume that any slippage will effect all subsequent shells. Which is not my case. Mine are intermittent.

I've also got the bottom of the powder tube set to meet the top of the primer seat when fully depressed. Therefore guaranteeing complete closure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:00 pm 

Pijetro wrote:
I'm still looking into it, and will let you know of my findings.

However, help me understand this talk of powder tube slippage.
The only time I had this, is when I had the tube set so low, and the screw clamped so hard, that after I pressed the ram, the spring let go, and the tube jumped out of position.

I'll also assume that any slippage will effect all subsequent shells. Which is not my case. Mine are intermittent.

I've also got the bottom of the powder tube set to meet the top of the primer seat when fully depressed. Therefore guaranteeing complete closure.

Obviously, you know what you are doing if you are disputing the advice given, so apparently there is no one here that can help you.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]