It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LED light
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:38 am 
Field Grade

Anyone ever heard of a LED light affecting an electronic weight scale, buddy told me it threw his readings off.

Post subject: Re: LED light
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:11 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

There are a group of things that will affect a digital scale. That's why I have abandoned their use for most uses. Weighing shot and culling lead bullets is about all they are good for. I would NOT trust their use for weighing powder, particularly in loading metallic rifle cartridges. In my case, I never use them for weighing powder for any use.

Digital scales costing several hundred dollars are a different story, but the low cost digitals
sold for reloading purposes are very unpredictable and are hard to keep calibrated to any degree.

DLM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:15 am 
Crown Grade

Fluorescent lighting is known to affect digital scales

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:56 am 
Limited Edition

I agree with what DL says I've had two and would not rely on them because the results were not always repeatable. I went back to my RCBS 505

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use an electronic extensively for metallic and shot shell loading. My I phone will drive it crazy, if it's close to the scale. I keep it at least 10' feet away and have no problems.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:52 am 
Crown Grade

I've used digital scales for years. I've never heard of this.
I use a professional scientific set.

I also use a cheap digital set as a check set. No problems.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:37 am 
Crown Grade

Jakes66 wrote:
Anyone ever heard of a LED light affecting an electronic weight scale, buddy told me it threw his readings off.

Since electronic scales are strain-gauge based, and not optics based, I don't believe what he said.

Your buddy should state his make and model, and then make a simple YouTube video for us to see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Republican et al-
Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) emit more radiation than just the visible spectrum.

Into a google search, enter the terms "electronic emissions led lights" (without the quotes). You should get about 61 million hits. The links near the top of the list make it plain that LEDs produce electronic interference.

LEDs are on the list of items regulated by the FDA and FCC because of their electronic emissions.

Here's a quote from we-online.com, the second or third link in the google list:
Any new innovation experiences obstacles. In LED lighting, one problem is the issue of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI), or unwanted noise signals.

--Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Radio frequency interference (RFI) is getting more and more common. The plastic enclosures used in most items now don't help. good old metal used to hold in accidentally generated signals, and help keep them out of other things. I'm assuming that is the problem here. Since they replaced the stoplights in my area with LED's I lose 91.1FM while stopped at red lights. I'm not sure what part of the scales circuitry would be effected, but I suspect the read out directly: Transmitting on my ham radio in my 2004 Ford F150 would change the display on the clock\radio on some frequencies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's almost gotta be electromagnetic interference (EMI) from the electronic ballast that is in every CFL and LED (110 V) bulb affecting the bridge circuitry and/or amplifier in the electronic scale. Fortunately it doesn't seem to affect either of my electronic scales even though there is a CFL within 2-3 feet. They must be designed to handle that sort of interference reasonably well or the bulb doesn't radiate much. In any case it hasn't been a problem for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:59 pm 
Crown Grade

pitted bore wrote:
Republican et al-
Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) emit more radiation than just the visible spectrum.

Into a google search, enter the terms "electronic emissions led lights" (without the quotes). You should get about 61 million hits. The links near the top of the list make it plain that LEDs produce electronic interference.

LEDs are on the list of items regulated by the FDA and FCC because of their electronic emissions.

Here's a quote from we-online.com, the second or third link in the google list:
Any new innovation experiences obstacles. In LED lighting, one problem is the issue of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI), or unwanted noise signals.

--Bob

Bob,

LED's have been around since the 70's ...

To be clear here, it's not the LED's per-se that are causing the interference, it's the switching power supply that powers the cluster, or array of LED's :

http://www.intertek.com/consumer/news/n ... fcc-rules/

Almost all devices with switching power supplies in them need to have a FCC part 15 compliance statement, including laptops and the like.

I'm an Advanced class radio ham myself, and know a thing or two about RF interference. And when working full legal limit on the HF bands in Florida (Miami), I've had to (legally) deal with the neighborhood RFI situations that I was causing. Almost all of those situations were cured by me buying the affected neighbors new cordless phones.

Even if the device has a FCC part 15 compliance statement, it doesn't mean CRAP ! It's not enforced.

I had a situation here at (this) house (in Seattle) that was SO *BADLY* affected by RFI that I couldn't listen to ANY radio station at night. AM, FM, SW, you name it.

The issue was the Hampton Bay low voltage outdoor lighting transformers that I was getting out of Home Depot. They were all the way up up in the back yard, up on the hill, and I couldn't listen to anything on the radio in the garage clean on the other side of the property.

Crap was getting on the power lines and radiated all throughout the house. Started building multi-pole filters and such, and just bagged it. Tried multiple products from Hampton Bay, and they were all like that.

Yanked them all out, and had to search down straight A/C transformers. What a pain.

But I'd like to learn more about the OP's "friend-of-a-friends" scale that is allegedly affected by RFI from LED lighting.

I recently re-did all of my shop lights in my garage with those Fiet LED tube fixtures from Costco. I'll have to look at the RFI signature of them.