It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC 9000 12 gauge station 4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:49 pm 
Utility Grade

The 8 point "Spindex" crimp starter comes off 2/10 times and sticks to shell. It's made to remove easily to switch to the 6 point. I squirted with some wd 40 and it seemed to correct it for a while. It's just another thing I need to keep an eye on while it indexes. I guess I need 6 eyes!
Any other ideas? Thx in advance. Tom

Post subject: Re: MEC 9000 12 gauge station 4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

They don't last forever. Actually, the crimp part does, but the little socket that snaps onto the ball stud does wear and comes off easier (too easy.) You do have to replace them periodically. Try putting small square of plastic cut from a plastic bag over the hole in the back of the spindex and then snapping it on. Might get you by for a while! When ordering new be sure to check Gamalliels site carefully. You want just the 8 pt crimp starter- not the whole kit with stud, 6 pt and 8 pt. I think they are maybe $3.00 or so. AAHS hulls DO need a lot of pre-crimp. Most other shells do not. Minimizing the amount of pre-crimp helps to minimize problems with the starter sticking and pulling off the stud.

IF, you have a good drill press or small lathe and are handy with taps and drills I can tell you how to convert one of these into a "lasts forever" design. But, it will take an hour or two and you can buy them for $3.00 or so.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Too much pre-crimp and/or a worn out hole where it snaps onto the post. GENTLY pinch that hole with a needle nose pliers. Distort it just enough to get it to stay on the post. Back off the precrimp as much as possible.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:15 pm 

Either that mounting stud is worn, the spindex is damaged, or both. Then there is the possibility that you are applying a bit too much precrimp and the folds are holding the internal blades of the spindex.
Use the cone/Paper hull smooth interior spindex and it will never happen again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Ordered 2 more from Gamaliel. BTW, $4.95 each. I'm hoping the plastic bag works while I wait for delivery.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:21 pm 
Crown Grade

albatros wrote:

IF, you have a good drill press or small lathe and are handy with taps and drills I can tell you how to convert one of these into a "lasts forever" design. But, it will take an hour or two and you can buy them for $3.00 or so.

^^^ - a must have :)

*especially* if you are loading the Yellow Gun clubs (along with STS's) on a 20-gauge 9000.

I firmly believe that this is due to the wide variation in (Remington) hull lengths, along with an aggressive precrimp depth.

When this happens, take note just how hard it is to remove from the top of the hull, and you will see what I mean.

Also, Silcone spray would be better than WD-40 (for residual properties).

I'm still on my original 6 & 8 point starter cups (and stud) on my 12-gauge 9000, and that sucker has some serious high mileage on it too. But its diet also has a pretty low "Gun Club" content too.

I wouldn't still be loading 20 gauge had it not been for Albs. The situation was SO bad, that I was ready to get rid of the whole thing. Then I discovered the varying Gun club hull length. Then I was "enlightened" about "Da mod" (from "albatros"), and now I'm livin large. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Albatros - I'd like to hear more about your "lasts forever" design. I have a drill press (not machinists quality but probably good enough). Lathe is out of service at the moment.

I have used a small piece of Scotch Tape over the hole instead of a bit of plastic bag. It works for a while.

I recently ran into this problem for the first time in quite a while and took a clue from the primer pocket reforming tool (for primer pockets that have been stretched by large primers) that has been described on the forum many times. I took the crimp starter off and set it upside down on a flat metal surface (I used an anvil but just about anything would work).

Rummaged around in the garage and found a bolt that would reach down inside the starter to the inner surface of the top. I don't remember the diameter of the bolt but you want something that is large enough to cover the hole and some area around it but not contact the inner ribs in the starter.

Placed said bolt over the hole from the inside of the starter and tapped it a couple of times with a hammer. Snapped the starter back on the press and I was good to go. I suggest a couple of gentle taps at first and check how well it holds onto the stud. If not well enough, a couple more taps with a little more force. Continue until you are happy with the retention. If you get too aggressive with the taps you can close up the hole too much and cause the starter to not spin as freely as it should.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:57 pm 
Limited Edition

I do what Pickman recommends. Peen the little booger.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:03 am 
Diamond Grade

Just buy the smooth crimp starter and no worries about changing - it'll work on everything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use a paper punch to cut a 5mm piece of plastic bag and place it on the crimp starter snap, then snap it on. Use more if needed. The crimp starter will hold better on the snap.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith