It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problems using old Win AA 410 wads in new Win AA HS cases?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've traded my young friend, NoUserName, my SKB 410 O/U and loaned him my MEC 600 410 loader. I gave him a bag of the new red Winchester 410 HS wads, and now I've found a new bag of the old white Winchester AA 410 wads for the old compression formed AA cases.

The loader is set to throw 1/2 ounce #8 shot, primers are Winchester 209, charge 16 grains Winchester 296.

I don't want to kill him, or hurt his gun, but what would be the problems in using up 250 white old fashioned AA 410 wads in new Winchester 410 HS hulls?

Unless it's safe, the white wads can go to the trash or back to my stash.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Problems using old Win AA 410 wads in new Win AA HS case
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:50 am 
Crown Grade

The old wads won't work well - AAs were different internally than AA-HS. If I recall correctly, the new wads for AA-HS are larger diameter. That's because the old AAs were tapered internally, while the AA-HS are essentially straight-walled.

Also have him check the current recipes for AA-HS hulls for proper powder weight. They are NOT the same as the old AAs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:14 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

They don't fit the best, but they'll go bang. The load data for old CF AAs is indeed different. New AA HS hulls require more powder to get the same performance as the old CF AA hulls. Dangerous? No, but not the best option.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Burnt Powder wrote:
They don't fit the best, but they'll go bang. The load data for old CF AAs is indeed different. New AA HS hulls require more powder to get the same performance as the old CF AA hulls. Dangerous? No, but not the best option.

BP

Better to just buy the ones that we all know work, eh?

Good advice.

The old ones go back to the stash.

Thanks.