It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which die set for MEC 600 "82" ?????
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Need advise from the MEC experts!!! I have an older 600jr. That is stamped "82". Wanted to purchase a conversion die set to load .410's. eBay has sets listed as older model Loaders as well as newer models. My loader has the mark5 type black wad guide and black final Crimp die as well as the older steel crimp starter. Really confused which item I need. Would like to order from MEC! But they are a little pricey!!
Thanks sooooo much for any advise!!

Post subject: Re: Which die set for MEC 600 "82" ?????
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

IMHO you would be far better off just buying a 410 600jr. It takes time to convert the press back and forth between the 2 gauges you would own and then there is the set-up/adjustment of the press every time you do. The 410 is a fun hull to load but it is picky on the adjustments. Even if you never want to convert it back to the gauge you own now, sell it and use the money to buy a 410 press.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

IMR76250 wrote:
Need advise from the MEC experts!!! I have an older 600jr. That is stamped "82". Wanted to purchase a conversion die set to load .410's. eBay has sets listed as older model Loaders as well as newer models. My loader has the mark5 type black wad guide and black final Crimp die as well as the older steel crimp starter. Really confused which item I need. Would like to order from MEC! But they are a little pricey!!
Thanks sooooo much for any advise!!

I was in the same boat when I was trying to order 410 dies for my Versa-mec 700.

Based on MEC suggestion,I ended up ordering from Gamaliel they are supporters of shotgun world. The die set should fit any of the 600s and also the Versa Mec.

Confirm the wad guide. I have two single stage presses set up. One for 3" and one for 2 1/2". And I think the wad guide styles are different on each machine

I agree with Steve once you get them set up you do not want to have to adjust them. That's why ther are 7 or 8 presses on the shelf in my shop.
I hope this helps

Maggs

Last edited by maggs01 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:46 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

You have practically answered your own question.

Fact: THe newer Zytel dies can directly replace the older steel dies. Fact is, I don't think they service the steel dies anymore. Now there MAY be some old stock on the conversion sets that are steel, but I don't really know. Possibly that's why they are listed as "new" and "old". Actually I think the stated "Old style" sets probably contain the newer Zytel dies, except for the wad guide, which is the red insert in a steel fixture.

Be that as it may, the conversion sets cost from 1/2 to 3/4 as much as a new 600Jr Mark 5 press. Therefore it is, (as it always has been), prudent to just buy a new press, rather than fool with the conversion die set. Switching die sets is a PITA, and the very small cost savings just isn't worth it. Possibly you can find a good used press for a cost savings.

DLM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:07 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your inputs and advise!!! I purchased this "82" loader at a very good price because it had missing parts and was very dusty. Cleaned up looking like a new loader. Its a 12ga. now. Only own .410 guns now. Have loaded shot shells since 1961, started with a MEC 500 progressive press. Used to shoot NSSA for over 20 years and Trap also. Have owned over 25 MEC machines over the years. Great machines!!! Never owned a "82" loader, so that's why I asked for help from you guys. You guys are great!!! I'm going to Sportsmans Warehouse as soon as I finish this reply, and purchase a new 600jr. 410 loader. You guys are correct, the black plastic wad guides come in two styles for the .410. If you look at the part number on the bottom of the guide, the 3" guide will have a 3 at the end of the part number. And the final crimp die has the split roll pin inserted in the lower pin location for the 3" die. I will order a die set for loading 3" shells for this loader, following your advices!! Have a great holiday, and thanks again for your help!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:41 pm 
Crown Grade

'82 was the revision to Zytel crimp dies.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your inputs and advise!!! I purchased this "82" loader at a very good price because it had missing parts and was very dusty. Cleaned up looking like a new loader. Its a 12ga. now. Only own .410 guns now. Have loaded shot shells since 1961, started with a MEC 500 progressive press. Used to shoot NSSA for over 20 years and Trap also. Have owned over 25 MEC machines over the years. Great machines!!! Never owned a "82" loader, so that's why I asked for help from you guys. You guys are great!!! I'm going to Sportsmans Warehouse as soon as I finish this reply, and purchase a new 600jr. 410 loader. You guys are correct, the black plastic wad guides come in two styles for the .410. If you look at the part number on the bottom of the guide, the 3" guide will have a 3 at the end of the part number. And the final crimp die has the split roll pin inserted in the lower pin location for the 3" die. I will order a die set for loading 3" shells for this loader, following your advices!! Have a great holiday, and thanks again for your help!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:51 pm 
Crown Grade

A one-time conversion of a reloader you already own, and is useless otherwise to you, might not be a bad way to go.

~$80 versus ~ $220.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Please feel free to correct me, but I believe that when you purchase a Mec .410 machine, you get both sets of dies......the 2.5" set and the correct replacement dies for 3 inch reloading. At least that used to be the case.
Please report back to see if indeed my above statement is still true.

Thanks in advance.