It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any 20 ga 3/4 oz Vectan D-20 data?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:20 pm 
Limited Edition

I see that there is two loads listed for Vectan D-20 in 2-3/4" 20 ga Cheddite hulls. Is there any Vectan D-20 Powder 20 ga 3/4 oz data available out there?

Or is Vectan D-20 not a good powder for 20 ga 3/4 oz loads?

Thanks for any help or for giving your opinions.

Post subject: Re: Any 20 ga 3/4 oz Vectan D-20 data?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:47 pm 
Crown Grade

derbyacresbob wrote:
I see that there is two loads listed for Vectan D-20 in 2-3/4" 20 ga Cheddite hulls. Is there any Vectan D-20 Powder 20 ga 3/4 oz data available out there?

Well, you can simply take those two (7/8th's oz) Cheddite hull loads with D20, and just reduce payload to ¾ ounce.

But I suspect that's not what you want to do, and what you are asking about, is if there are any ¾ ounce loads with D20 in taper hulls (such as Remington and AA HS hulls), right ?

In which case I's say that you can "prolly" guess at a safe charge weight for ¾ oz. in taper hulls w/ D20.

But Vectan's "official" powder for 20-gauge ¾ (and 7/8th's) is A0 and A1. Three are lots and lots of ¾ ounce and 7/8th's 20-gauge loads for taper hulls employing Vectan's A0, and A1 in their reloading manual found here:

https://www.grafs.com/uploads/technical ... ile/20.pdf

And their bushing chart here :
https://www.grafs.com/uploads/technical ... ile/23.pdf

Think of A1 as their Green dot equivalent/International equivalent, and A0 as their Unique/Universal replacement.

I use A1 myself in 20-gauge ¾ oz in taper hulls, (because I have an abundance of it), but I also have, and used A0 (mainly for 7/8th's oz 20-gauge), but for ¾ oz in taper hulls as well.

Capitalize on the free HAZMAT deal at Graf & Sons, and get some of each (A1 & A0).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the great reply Republican! The next time I make a order I will get some A1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:33 am 
Crown Grade

Republican wrote:
derbyacresbob wrote:

Well, you can simply take those two (7/8th's oz) Cheddite hull loads with D20, and just reduce payload to ¾ ounce.

But I suspect that's not what you want to do, and what you are asking about, is if there are any ¾ ounce loads with D20 in taper hulls (such as Remington and AA HS hulls), right ?

In which case I's say that you can "prolly" guess at a safe charge weight for ¾ oz. in taper hulls w/ D20.

But Vectan's "official" powder for 20-gauge ¾ (and 7/8th's) is A0 and A1. Three are lots and lots of ¾ ounce and 7/8th's 20-gauge loads for taper hulls employing Vectan's A0, and A1 in their reloading manual found here:

And their bushing chart here :
https://www.grafs.com/uploads/technical ... ile/23.pdf

Think of A1 as their Green dot equivalent/International equivalent, and A0 as their Unique/Universal replacement.
+1
I use A1 myself in 20-gauge ¾ oz in taper hulls, (because I have an abundance of it), but I also have, and used A0 (mainly for 7/8th's oz 20-gauge), but for ¾ oz in taper hulls as well.

Capitalize on the free HAZMAT deal at Graf & Sons, and get some of each (A1 & A0).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:31 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:

Would they then also work for metallic handgun uses the way I use GD, Universal and Unique?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:37 am 
Crown Grade

there is metalic data also.

http://www.vectan.fr/UK/reloading-charges

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:03 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Quote:

Would they then also work for metallic handgun uses the way I use GD, Universal and Unique?

Yes, in the published reloading manual from Graf and Sons that I posted a link to above :

If you would have looked at that PDF, you would have found some loads for A0 and A1 :

I'm assuming that the data in the interactive menu-based manual from Cook's link are the same as Graf's published loads, but I don't know for sure. When I start loading metallic (for .38 special), I'll be using Vectan propellants, - I'm totally sold on them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Saw that data, just looked more like the "B" series was favored for the majority of handgun applications I would be using it for.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:10 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Saw that data, just looked more like the "B" series was favored for the majority of handgun applications I would be using it for.

Did you not find any usable loads with Vectan A1 & A0 for whatever handgun loads you load for ?