It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 9000 primer tray
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:41 pm 

Okay, some have gotten off on the wrong foot. Let's calm down and talk about fixing stuff and not folk's mentality or lack of, please?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Steve Y wrote:
FnErter wrote:
. feeling full of yourself because you can work on a MEC loader is like a monkey feeling full of himself because he can peel a banana.

You have just implied that if you cant figure out a MEC you are dumber then a monkey.

Steve

Wrong again.
I think even the monkey could figure out that I implied that you were, at least, on even ground with him.

I'm done now Curly! Do I serve my detention in study hall or do I have to clean the lathes in metal shop (for those that don't get it, that's another attempt at sarcastic humor)?

I do regret that things had to devolve into this. Though my suspicion is that I'm not the only one who feels the way I do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:22 pm 

FnErter wrote:
Steve Y wrote:
FnErter wrote:
. feeling full of yourself because you can work on a MEC loader is like a monkey feeling full of himself because he can peel a banana.

You have just implied that if you cant figure out a MEC you are dumber then a monkey.

Steve

Wrong again.
I think even the monkey could figure out that I implied that you were, at least, on even ground with him.

I'm done now Curly! Do I serve my detention in study hall or do I have to clean the lathes in metal shop (for those that don't get it, that's another attempt at sarcastic humor)?

I do regret that things had to devolve into this. Though my suspicion is that I'm not the only one who feels the way I do.

No, you are now to go to the shop and clean out all the coolant sumps under every machine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:02 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Alright guy's. Enough is enough!! Lets try to help the guy out!

FnErter,
Your problem is not unusual. Not usually a sure thing, but still not unusual.

In going about my standard activity of repairing and adjusting MEC machines, I have encountered your problem on several occasions. There is only one sure fix. Try as you might, you can de-bur, file, smooth, re-profile, ect., all you want. The result is usually that the problem is still there. Once they cut a groove in the plastic where the primer approaches the drop tube, they are a goner. Not worth the hassle to fool with.

Order a new tray for the feed assy., install it and live happily ever after. On one new MEC machine, they did send a new tray no charge. I now stock the trays, (they are inexpensive), and are easily changed. Cures the problem every time.

Regards, DLM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:55 pm 
Field Grade

Meant to post this months ago, the box was pretty heavily damaged when I received it. I believe my press was bent, tweaked, screwed up or otherwise out of whack. Haven't bought another one yet, but I will.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:32 pm 
Crown Grade

When I load W209 I get maybe 1 or 2 out of every 100 where the primer tips and jams the slide. I load Fiocchis and I can put 200 in the tray and load them all with no tipping. I'm baffled- what's the difference? When I fill the tray and put the lid on I do look real carefully to make sure none are tipped.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

albatros wrote:
When I load W209 I get maybe 1 or 2 out of every 100 where the primer tips and jams the slide. .

I had this exact same thing with 1 box (1000 primers ) of Fiocchis but it was more like 10 out of 100. It was so frustrating I even loaded some 20 and 28 gauge hulls with them just to check my feeder and had the same thing. Once I worked through that box and moved on, no issues what so ever. Still don't know why.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:25 pm 
Crown Grade

albatros wrote:
Although I certainly take exception to "mostly crap,"

9. Do something to the tray to make sure primers slide down. A lot of guys use paste type car wax and buff it. I use Hornady one shot cleaner/ dry lube.

Do steps 1-8 right once and you will be good for a LONG time. Step 9 is every 1000-2000 loads but seems to vary with primer brand.

As far as being crap, I'm with you. I think they are fine, affordable loaders, which have probably loader more shotshells than any other Brand loader in the USA!

As for #9, I've never had any problem with my high capacity trays needing waxed or lubed. Always have a steep enough angle that they slide just fine. I have never done anything to a primer tray. I only load Fed 209A.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

John Henry wrote:
albatros wrote:
Although I certainly take exception to "mostly crap,"

9. Do something to the tray to make sure primers slide down. A lot of guys use paste type car wax and buff it. I use Hornady one shot cleaner/ dry lube.

Do steps 1-8 right once and you will be good for a LONG time. Step 9 is every 1000-2000 loads but seems to vary with primer brand.

As far as being crap, I'm with you. I think they are fine, affordable loaders, which have probably loader more shotshells than any other Brand loader in the USA!

As for #9, I've never had any problem with my high capacity trays needing waxed or lubed. Always have a steep enough angle that they slide just fine. I have never done anything to a primer tray. I only load Fed 209A.

John Henry,
While you may not have had problems with primers sliding down the tray, It generally is a problem on most MEC's. It is common to apply a couple of coats of Johnson paste wax to the trays and then all works fine for a long time. If you haven't had that problem, you are just lucky.

DLM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Here are 3 things that I have learned that have almost entirely eliminated the huge issues I was having with the new primer trays:

1. As others have noted, proper alignment and pitch of the tray is vital.
2. Anytime I had one get cocked and stuck as it was sliding over to the drop tube was because a) the primer did not fully drop into the slot in the slide bar, but rather was only partially there. This led to a 2nd problem, the primer base starting to slice/dent the area right at the hole, creating a burr than then became an obstacle in the drop tube. To prevent this, see #3.
3. It's critical - everytime - that the primer fully drop into the slot in the slide bar. Here are 3 things I do that takes very little time, but ensures the primer moves and drops properly.
i. I gave up on paste wax. Everytime I load primers, I take one of the silicon impregnated gun wiping rags, and wipe the bottom of the primer tray, the underside of the clear cover, and the primer bottoms (slide the primers out of the cardboard sleeve and wipe the silicon rag over the bottoms of the primers). They become slicker than snot.
ii. After I've loaded the next empty hull with my left hand, and start loading the next wad with my right had, I use the fingernails on my left had to "rap-rap-rap" the bottom of the primer tray. This causes the primers to all move down the tray toward the hole.
iii. Last - eyes - I am watching that the next primer fully drops into slot in the the slide bar. I then followthrough with my eyes - watch the primer slide over and drop. If it doesn't drop, you can use your left hand to rattle the button on the slide bar to get it to drop if needed. Maybe once every 100-250 loads. . . . Then I watch it fall into the carousel and into the primer station. Catch it small and fix it small.

I can load a cases and cases of shells without any major failures. Before I started this, I was about to give up and go back to a Sizemaster. I picked up all of these steps from others on this forum.

Alabama

Browning Citori 725 Sporting 30" 12/12
Browning Citori 725 Field 28" 12/12
2 Browning 525 Field 28" 28/28

Last edited by markbxr400 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

One of mine had the issue, it was plastic flashing on the edge of the drop hole. Took it apart, used my neck chamfer tool (for you metalic reloaders) to clean it up. Since I had it apart, I also drilled a small hole in the clear plastic over the drop hole, that allows access with a small pick if I get a tilted primer. I still get the occiasional slow drop of a primer, but that just teaches me to watch the primer drop like a hawk. Fiddle with the angle of the tray, that seems to fix the slow drops. I don't think I've had a problem with a tilted primer since I added the Automate, it's a smoother operator than I am.