It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 9000 primer tray
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:36 pm 
Field Grade

My 9000, bought used, looks like new, I suspect that the previous owner had trouble, like I am. Found a couple bent parts, replaced. My high cap primer feed is nowhere near lining up. When it is lined up to drop primers correctly it is nowhere near the trip mechanism.

Post subject: Re: 9000 primer tray
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to the world of 9000G's. They are mostly crap but there are fellows on this board who can help you get them running as well as they can be run. Curly, DL Marcum, Steve Y and albatross are the ones you want to take direction from.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:23 pm 
Field Grade

I have read the manual, followed all of the stickies, have 4 other Mec presses, which I have no problems with, this thing is testing my patience to say the least. I have messed with this thing for months.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ranch23

What is your definition of "nowhere near "??

For all the primer feeders I have installed none have been off more then 1/8" and a slight bend "UP" of the base aligned it perfectly. I always bend the base UP, this puts more pitch to the tray so the primers slide down hill better. Go the other way and you could fix one problem (alignment) and create another, poor primer feed.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:53 am 
Crown Grade

Although I certainly take exception to "mostly crap," there are a few areas where there is room for improvement. The high capacity tray and eliminating the ball chain actuator are big improvements. But there are sone problems that can be easily fixed.

1. Replace the mounting with a 1/4-20 SHCS (socket head cap screw), good solid washers top and bottom and a 1/4-20 hex nut.
2. Slide the mounting bracket inward till both little black dimples touch the top plate of the press.
3 Tighten SECURELY!
4. Get a foot long piece of 5/16 round rod, aluminum or steel. You might find a large phillips screw driver works.
5. Pull the press handle down and tie it down.
6. Slide the rod down the primer drop tube and use it to bend the tube til it is lined up with the hole in the shell plate. Not close, LINED UP.
7. Untie the handle and put 20-30 spent primers in the tray. Remove the primer seating assembly at station 2.
8. Start dropping primers and get the actuator set so they land just as the press bottoms out. You might have to put all 20-30 primers back in the tray and keep adjusting. If you cannot get 20-30 primers to drop right every time, your life will only get worse if you add powder, shot, hulls, and live primers.
9. Do something to the tray to make sure primers slide down. A lot of guys use paste type car wax and buff it. I use Hornady one shot cleaner/ dry lube.

Do steps 1-8 right once and you will be good for a LONG time. Step 9 is every 1000-2000 loads but seems to vary with primer brand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:42 pm 
Field Grade

It was off well over 1/4", when it was lined up on the tube the actuator arm would not reach the arm on the press to activate primer drop. I tigged an extension on it 3/4" wide. The only thing obviously bent was the bottom of the wad guide rod. I used 3 washers to position close to the top of the shell carrier, as suggested. And then tigged that in place. All now a moot point, I saved the bottles, the charge bar and spring and it is now gone. I suspect the original owner could not make it work either, it looked barely used. Still love my other 4 Mecs and may buy a NEW, I repeat NEW, 9000.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:49 am 
Tournament Grade

I think my favorite thing about the new primer tray is getting to disassemble it every 75 rounds or so to clear the primer that jams sideways just before it drops in the tube. it's a really nice feature that the old metal trays never offered. All you ever got to do with them was, occasionally, change the ball chain and spring or the brass leaf spring.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FnErter wrote:
I think my favorite thing about the new primer tray is getting to disassemble it every 75 rounds or so to clear the primer that jams sideways just before it drops in the tube. it's a really nice feature that the old metal trays never offered. All you ever got to do with them was, occasionally, change the ball chain and spring or the brass leaf spring.

You ever think of using a magnet to move them back and out????

I have never had a primer get turned sideways that wasn't already sideways when it got fed into the channel. I have bumped one when filling and missed it.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:15 am 

Steve Y wrote:
FnErter wrote:

I have never had a primer get turned sideways that wasn't already sideways when it got fed into the channel. I have bumped one when filling and missed it.

Steve

Yes, you can also use a thin-bladed long-shanked magnetized screwdriver to slip down that channel and pull a tipped primer back. It would probably be a good thing if you wore your glasses while filling that tray after you have lowered it flat. That might help you see those primers that you have knocked over.
If you do happen to insert a primer through the hole in the clear cover, you must ensure that it is correctly upright each time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Steve Y wrote:
FnErter wrote:

Steve

You're probably right. The 12,000 plus rounds I load every year and my 35 years using MEC loaders wouldn't give me nearly enough experience with the machine to notice a sideways primer before it got to the tube.

Yes, I use a magnet but thanks anyway for that obvious solution to removing the primers in the channel behind the jammed primer I'm speaking of. The one I'm speaking of is JAMMED and tilted just before it goes down the tube and can not be removed with a magnet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Curly-Nohair wrote:
Steve Y wrote:
FnErter wrote:

Steve

Yes, you can also use a thin-bladed long-shanked magnetized screwdriver to slip down that channel and pull a tipped primer back. It would probably be a good thing if you wore your glasses while filling that tray after you have lowered it flat. That might help you see those primers that you have knocked over.
If you do happen to insert a primer through the hole in the clear cover, you must ensure that it is correctly upright each time.

Curly, YOUR advice I respect. However, it is not a case of knocked over primers or my need for glasses. It is a clearance problem of some sort that allows the primer not to fall as the plunger pushes it across the hole. That, combined with the plastic material allows the edge of the primer to catch and become lodged to the point that the tray has to be disassembled. I have two of four trays that have this problem. I have deburred, smoothed, polished, whatever you please. The problem persists with these two in particular. The other two rarely have any problems.

When I go south for the winter, I have four metal trays and all is good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 am 
Diamond Grade

Every 75 rounds ? I think in 2 years of using a 200 primer tray only twice have I had a problem with tipped primers and a friend suggested the magnet to fix the problem.
Mostly junk ? Mine has reloaded probably well over a 150,000 shells and I've only replaced the resizing fingers once. Other than running slow after a 150 or so rounds [ like me ] it still runs just great. If they were " junk" no one would buy them because the word would have gotten out. If you don't like em , wouldn't it easier to say which press you prefer ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:05 am 

FnErter wrote:
Curly-Nohair wrote:

Curly, YOUR advice I respect. However, it is not a case of knocked over primers or my need for glasses. It is a clearance problem of some sort that allows the primer not to fall as the plunger pushes it across the hole. That, combined with the plastic material allows the edge of the primer to catch and become lodged to the point that the tray has to be disassembled. I have two of four trays that have this problem. I have deburred, smoothed, polished, whatever you please. The problem persists with these two in particular. The other two rarely have any problems.

When I go south for the winter, I have four metal trays and all is good.

Now that we have eliminated the obvious, and have established that you are more versed than the avg. user, let's discuss a few other things. I had the same issue on one tray, the first one. I would get the occasional tipped primer that did not fall. After eliminating the possibility of a short stroke of the pusher. I found that things got better. Some of which are discussed here.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=286112. Things were not perfect but better. I did that deburring action and found that the rate of incidence went up. Apparently, that primer needs to see a sharp corner which inhibits tipping into the hole/tube.
I called MEC about it and they sent me a new complete tray at no charge and the tipping problem was gone. Give them a call and see what they say. You might not want to mention your deburring. I say this because it has been a problem since inception with those two trays and you may have made it worse, but you didn't cause it in the beginning.

Best of luck to you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is nothing in the world more aggregating than a 9000 that is mal-adjusted and out of time. On the other hand there is nothing more beautiful and satisfying than one that is perfectly set up. After years of fits and starts I have finally grown to appreciate and really like these MEC reloaders. And don’t think for even a minute that you can avoid all of this adjusting by going to another brand of loader. The problems are still there but different. The best advise that I can give is that you must know how your machine works down to each intimate detail. Only then can you analyze cause and effect. This holds true for every brand.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FnErter

Anyone that tolerates a machine missing a cycle or function once every 75 cycles and then comes into a forum bashing that machine does not have MY respect either.
Give us the info you gave Curly in a later post and we all could be more helpful.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I agree with, Casonet. You should know how and why your machine works the way it was designed to function. Once you do, making the proper adjustment will become very easy, and, make since, too. I load on a Hornady 366, my machine is a simple machine in function but if not adjusted properly it will give you fits not unlike any other reloading machine. There are people on this website that have decades of experience that can and will help you.

Dropping into the learning mode and staying there until you have a real handle on your machine is the trick with progressive reloaders.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:40 am 
Crown Grade

ranch23 wrote:
My 9000, bought used, looks like new, I suspect that the previous owner had trouble, like I am. Found a couple bent parts, replaced. My high cap primer feed is nowhere near lining up. When it is lined up to drop primers correctly it is nowhere near the trip mechanism.

My Grabber was the same. I bought two long bolts and added over an inch of washers so when lined up, the primer would get tripped and released down the chute. Poor welding is what it appears to be, but it works

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

First of all, I at no time implied that MEC loaders are crap. In fact, they're all I have, and will ever, use. My original post was meant as a light hearted sarcastic attempt at humor. Then, as happens so often, here comes the Curly wannabe implying someone just doesn't have the capacity understand or adjust the machine. I've got news for you, feeling full of yourself because you can work on a MEC loader is like a monkey feeling full of himself because he can peel a banana.

MEC's are simple yet reliable machines. In all my years of using them, these two primer trays are the first real aggravations I've had. Curly offers some good insight on the problem and I'll look into that end of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm sorry I lumped my reply from two different post - I should have went back I saw that. The part of my reply about Mecs being junk was directed to Vette Jockey. I didn't mean to imply you didn't like or know how Mecs operate. I hope you find the problems you're having. Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FnErter wrote:
. feeling full of yourself because you can work on a MEC loader is like a monkey feeling full of himself because he can peel a banana.

You have just implied that if you cant figure out a MEC you are dumber then a monkey.

Steve