It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inconsistent powder drops with 296
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 am 
Field Grade

Okay, I need some advice here. I'm trying to reload 410s using a MEC 9000G. I prefer to use 296/H110 but I am getting inconsistent powder drops. I have been using the red PC powder baffle and I have grounded the machine. I've even tried dangling a strip of Bounce in the powder to help reduce static cling.

I've never had this problem with a single stage reloader and am considering about switching back.

Thanks in advance,
Bob W

Post subject: Re: Inconsistent powder drops with 296
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:35 am 
Tournament Grade

How inconsistent? What's the variance? I reload .410 with a Grabber and had a bunch of problems recently. In my case, on the powder side, my drop tube was filthy. Beyond that, you seem to be following the "rules" I've seen here for 296.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BobW

Do you use MEC's bottle support system?? This really helps remove any shake the bottles have from press cycle.
How hard are the primers coming out?? Even on a progressive a hard to remove prime will add extra vibration to the press. You could try as a test, de-prime 50 hulls and then start over and reload.
Are you using a "good" scale??

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:13 pm 
Field Grade

Also, you need to check your bar that it is moving all the way over to the left side and not traveling part way. As what has been mentioned, be sure your scale is zeroed out before weighing your powder drop.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Bushings or Adjustable Charge bar?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:44 pm 
Field Grade

I have two scales. An old Redfield beam balance scale and a Frankford Arsenal DS 750 digital scale. Both scales seem accurate. I use bushings. I had a universal charge bar, but that is now buried deep is a landfill. Sometimes I get 15.4 grains of powder, the next pull of the handle might give me the same or as little as 2.6 grains. I keep thinking that static cling is my problem. I might try the bottle support system even though the primers come out wit no effort and there is little vibration. Also, I will give the drop tube a good cleaning.

Bob W

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:39 pm 
Field Grade

I suspect an obstruction in the powder drop path.
296 flows like water, and should consistently fill the bushing.
I also dismiss the static charge as causing such a large difference in drops.
If you remove the red baffle do you get consistent drops? (but 296 is so fine that you'll get an objectionable amount of leakage.)
stumper described a similar problem in another thread in recent memory; powder was aggregating in the drop tube as if there was oil or something sticky inside the tube.

Then it makes it hard to find the door.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:55 pm 
Limited Edition

It’s bridging somewhere, might be the bottle, the baffle, or the bushing, but cleaning the drop tube certainly can’t hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 pm 
Crown Grade

I used to load it in handgun cartridges. It was typically +/- 0.1 grains. I recently loaded it in 300 BLK, still just as consistent. I really doubt it is the powder- something ain't right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Must be some kind of obstruction in the tube or bushing. Give it a look and clean out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:16 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

BobW wrote:
Okay, I need some advice here. I'm trying to reload 410s using a MEC 9000G. I prefer to use 296/H110 but I am getting inconsistent powder drops. I have been using the red PC powder baffle and I have grounded the machine. I've even tried dangling a strip of Bounce in the powder to help reduce static cling.

I've never had this problem with a single stage reloader and am considering about switching back.

Thanks in advance,
Bob W

BOB,
I have loaded H-110/W296 for years on MEC's. 600 Jrs, Sizemasters, and 9000's. All using bushings and a PC Baffle. NEVER have I ever encountered inconsistent powder drops using this powder. Meters like water. Variation is limited to 0.1 tenth grain or less.

Sounds like the charge bar isn't traveling fully left and right. Bar should be adjusted to let the retaining screw just kiss off the left end of the slot it works in, when the operating handle is fully down. Possibly the charge bar is sticking and not returning fully to the right
when the handle is fully up.

Checking these things, (adjustments), as well as cleaning any obstruction from the path of the powder drop, including the bottle, baffle, and drop tubes, will very likely fix your problem.

DLM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:06 am 
Field Grade

Problem solved! I found a dried up small dead beetle that had become stuck in the powder baffle. How it crawled in there I will never know. We had a lot of bugs around after the flood and somehow one found it's way into my reloader. Go figure.

Bob W

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Bob....I would dump all the powder out of the bottle into a tray...look for bits of plastic of paper or a piece of wad...trash.

I chased a similar 28 gauge problem for a few months...turned out to be a piece of broken powder bottle plastic blocking the baffle....tilting the bottle back "fixed" the problem until the plastic worked it way back down there. Bang bang bang poof poof bad crimps good crimps....I'm telling you, it drove me crazy. Check the simple things.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:49 pm 
Field Grade

Dumped the powder out of the powder bottle. Found another dead bug. Sifted through about seven pounds of H110 that remained after filling the powder bottle...two more dead bugs. I have no clue how they got into the powder.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:07 am 
Field Grade

Bob do I detect you had "issues" with the adjustable bar ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:55 am 
Field Grade

Glad you found the "bug"

This washer can do it also.
Part Number: 304W This brass washer is placed on top of the powders charge bar.Its keeps powders like W296 from leaking from between the bar & measure. If damaged/flattened, this washer can move with the bar. This can cause powder not to drop correctly, resulting in a light powder charge/wad stuck in the barrel. Set the wad seating ram to show a tiny amount of wad pressure on seating. This will show you if there is enough powder in the case. The measure body & charge bar may have to much clearance letting the washer get pinched when bar moves back and forth. Forcing it will flatten the high points on the washer. Then washer will block the powder drop, resulting in a light powder charge. After taking measurement of my 4 Mec 600JR, i found a new measure body was needed. Mec exchanged the old for new. There is also a lot of variation in the height of the charge bars.Image