It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lawrence Shot vs Eagle Shot, what say you ?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Nebs wrote:
skeet1958 wrote:
I only shoot skeet, having loaded Lawrence, Eagle, Star, Champion, West Coast, Black Diamond, all listed as magnum shot, I can not tell the difference, I have been told that Star and Eagle #9 is smaller than the other brands #9 shot. I have plenty of Star shot on hand and will continue to use it.
If you only shoot skeet, Eagle #9 is all you need. The harder shot only comes to the fore when shooting at longer targets at trap and sporting clays. You will get no advantage shooting the more expensive shot at the short ranges at skeet.

Generally true for skeet, but conventional wisdom is hard shot is required in the .410.

But the conventional wisdom is wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:12 am 
Diamond Grade

As I under stand it smaller shot like #8-#9 require more antimony than larger shot to have the same hardness. I wish my club could get STS or WIN/AA shot where the Lawrence MAG is only $36 the store bought STS is $42. If I had some older fixed choked guns with say IC & MOD I would have to load up softer shot and some spreader loads as well for the 15-30 yard grouse hunting I do in early season.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

tjen wrote:
As I under stand it smaller shot like #8-#9 require more antimony than larger shot to have the same hardness.

That is NOT my understanding. Tom Roster wrote that #9 has LESS antimony because higher levels would make it difficult to drop round #9 shot.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:32 am 
Tournament Grade

I can get more shot in my loads with Lawrence than Eagle given the same weight drop. Also because of the difference in weight you actually get more shot per 25# bag with Lawrence than Eagle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:21 am 
Diamond Grade

Where I live, I can actually buy Lawrence Magnum shot for less money than Eagle, due to Eagle being sold in different stores than Lawrence. So my choice is easy.

Also, the empty Lawrence shot bags make great patching material for my muzzle loading rifle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
If you look on the patterning board Lawrence might have a little advantage, not so sure that the advantage will show up on a scorecard, unless your name is George Digweed.

It may be just the opposite. The people who are so good that they can put every bird in the dense center of the pattern may not see much difference. The bird turns into smoke with a visible piece instead of completely into smoke.
It's us imperfect people who need as much shot in the fringe of the pattern as the ammo can deliver.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

superskeet wrote:
I can get more shot in my loads with Lawrence than Eagle given the same weight drop. Also because of the difference in weight you actually get more shot per 25# bag with Lawrence than Eagle.
Interesting, the first point and the second point contradict one another. Two factors. (a) Lawrence has more antimony than the Eagle, validating the second point. Because you load by volume, you should be getting roughly the same number of pellets of each per drop, assuming the two brands of shot are of the same size. The load using the Lawrence will be lighter. (b) But, the Eagle shot is smaller than the Lawrence, so, you should be getting not only more pellets with the Eagle but also a heavier shot charge because of both the lower antimony level and more pellets.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

B.L.E.,

You don't break targets with the fringe of the pattern. Besides the fringe of the pattern isn't any better populated by softer shot than it is by harder shot.

aka Mr. Tactful

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

I dunno, but every time I only knock a piece off of the bird instead of destroying it, I assume I hit it with the fringe of the pattern instead of the center.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

B.L.E. wrote:
I dunno, but every time I only knock a piece off of the bird instead of destroying it, I assume I hit it with the fringe of the pattern instead of the center.
I agree with this. Whenever I happen to knock just a piece off of the target, I don't attribute it to the target flying through a hole in my pattern, I attribute it to marksmanship that is just good enough.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Painful to admit, but yeah, me too!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:54 pm 
Limited Edition

I break 24 or 25 from the 16yrd line every time with 8 or 8 1/2 shot, Eagle or Lawrence makes no
difference. Its about the shooter, not the shot. OH, I LOAD 1 oz.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:16 am 
Diamond Grade

See if there is any logic to this.
Harder shot moving at the same velocity as a softer shot may transmit less energy to the target because it punches through it. Softer shot traveling at the same velocity may transmit more energy because of the the shot in theory deforms more creating a greater surface area and is therefore more likely to break the target. I'm not talking about dusting birds, dust=dust with hard or soft shot. It's when you hit just a few pellets that I'm referring to.
THOUGHTS?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:26 am 
Crown Grade

You can get more effect from a smaller pellet (less energy being transmitted) than by "harder" vs. "softer" lead. There isn't that much of a difference in the hardness. With less pellet energy, you transmit a higher percentage of the energy into the target, rather than on a rock or tree beyond after penetrating the clay.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Having reloaded shotshells for over 30 years, I have used lots of shot brands. More Eagle and Lawrence just due to availability and price, but also Remington, West Coast, Rio, and for the past few years Spartan brand.

Based solely on visual observation, the Remington and Rio shot are the cleanest and most uniform I have seen, followed closely by Spartan. I find the Eagle to be somewhat cleaner than the Lawrence at times. I have had bags of these 2 brands that often had an excessive amount of powder that I assume is graphite.

The Remington, Rio and Spartan bags have all been labeled with the antimony content marked on the bag. For the past few years I stock up on Spartan when I go to San Antonio Tx for shoots at NSCA events.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:36 am 
Tournament Grade

I'll go out on a limb here and say most of us shooting either skeet, 16 yard trap or a sporting clays course that doesn't have a bunch of 40 yard shots is not going to see one bit of difference in our scores whether or not we are shooting the Eagle brand shot or the Remington or Lawrence shot. Put the bird in the middle of the pattern and they will break. I think this falls in line with people thinking they need to shoot 1 1/8 oz. high speed loads to hit the same close in targets as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:36 pm 
Utility Grade

As soon as I opened my bag of #5 Eagle I put it side by side to some #5 Lawrence and there seems to be a noticeable difference in size. Eagle seems to be a little smaller. Doesn't really bother me as it looked to be somewhere in between the Lawrence #5 and #6 which is still suitable for the bird hunting I do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:14 pm 
Crown Grade

ezz555 wrote:
I'll go out on a limb here and say most of us shooting either skeet, 16 yard trap or a sporting clays course that doesn't have a bunch of 40 yard shots is not going to see one bit of difference in our scores whether or not we are shooting the Eagle brand shot or the Remington or Lawrence shot. Put the bird in the middle of the pattern and they will break. I think this falls in line with people thinking they need to shoot 1 1/8 oz. high speed loads to hit the same close in targets as well.

{hs#

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:45 am 
Crown Grade

Worrying about shot hardness between Eagle and Lawrence shot is an exercise in futility. For most of us, what the dealer has on hand is what we get, and if we point the gun right, the clays break or the bird or bunny dies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:24 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I'm one of those who prefer #8-1/2 shot for all Skeet shooting. Since Eagle shot is slightly under size, I purchase #8 shot when buying Eagle shot and the result is that it really is about the same as #8-1/2 Lawrence. Can't tell the difference in performance. Works as well as any other brand and is usually a bit cheaper.

DLM